By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - If Sony buys Square Enix, will there be hope for another LoD?

Tagged games:

So...

Nah, they hate it! 7 15.56%

No, FF > LoD 6 13.33%

No, because of you 7 15.56%

Maybe, SE can try it 1 2.22%

Maybe, just... maybe 2 4.44%

Yes, because of you 5 11.11%

Yes, LoD > FF 3 6.67%

Yeah, they will! 2 4.44%

What is a LoD? 4 8.89%

Rather see Knack 3 by Square 8 17.78%

Total:45

This argument is pointless.

Around the Network
twintail said:
Darwinianevolution said:

No. Big purchases like this are never good for the smaller series, mostly because the buyouts are done with the big IPs in mind.

Pretty much. Sony getting SE. means absolutely nothing for LoD.

Jaywood2010 said:

However, hypothetically if the two were to join forces, I wouldnt rule it out completely, but I think the more likely candidate would be to remake Legends of Dragoon from an already Sony owned studio being Bluepoint. 

I actually have doubts that Sony would put Bluepoint onto a LoD remake. Will be a very costly endeavour for a very niche game.

victor83fernandes said:

Sony doesnt have money for square enix

They were going to buy Leyou for a billion dollars. They can very easily get SE.

You think SE costs the same as Leyou?

Also, you think sony is going to waste 5-8billion budget on SE? Why? It makes no sense business wise and its too risky. They get their games anyway on the console.

Sony is nowhere near as rich as microsoft, google or apple, remember that.

victor83fernandes said:
twintail said:

Pretty much. Sony getting SE. means absolutely nothing for LoD.

Jaywood2010 said:

However, hypothetically if the two were to join forces, I wouldnt rule it out completely, but I think the more likely candidate would be to remake Legends of Dragoon from an already Sony owned studio being Bluepoint. 

I actually have doubts that Sony would put Bluepoint onto a LoD remake. Will be a very costly endeavour for a very niche game.

They were going to buy Leyou for a billion dollars. They can very easily get SE.

You think SE costs the same as Leyou?

Also, you think sony is going to waste 5-8billion budget on SE? Why? It makes no sense business wise and its too risky. They get their games anyway on the console.

Sony is nowhere near as rich as microsoft, google or apple, remember that.

Yes and Sony used to get all the activision and Bethesda games and they sold twice as much on Sony consoles and now they never will again unless Xbox says so.  If they don't get them MS likely will and same goes for everyone else at this point.  MS has shown they want it all and are trying to make Sony irrelevant and go out of business so Sony must buy some before they lose every prominent previously third party franchise.

I am Iron Man

BraLoD said:
DonFerrari said:

Why make LoD when you can make FF, CC, etc?

Because LoD is better than all of those combined?

Anyway, they don't need to do one of the other, they could release FF16, then LoD, then FF17 online, an so on. With Sony's backing they certainly can do it.

Won't discuss personal preferences, but on bottomline those generate a lot more profit.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

PotentHerbs said:
the-pi-guy said:

Square Enix would probably be something like 7-8B, and Sony has already promised investors they will be spending at least 10 billion for growth over the next 2 years. And they've made it clear that number is a minimum, if the right opportunity comes up, they are willing to spend more.

I think its a bit understated, but Sony went from near bankruptcy at the start of the last decade, leading them to focus on their entertainment pillars as they slowly reduced their debt, to tripling their market cap and increasing their profit margins significantly before the launch of the PS5. 

Has there been a better company turnaround in the last decade than Sony? 

I can't think of one offhand, but there probably has been. Lots of companies tripled their market cap in the last decade.  Lots of companies significantly increased margins. Lots of companies reduced debt.

The last decade saw one of the great bull runs in history.  Many, many companies did extraordinarily well.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

Sony not being as rich as those others is irrelevant.

Sitting on cash during an inflationary period means that you have less and less money (inflation adjusted) relatively quickly.  Therefore, companies like Microsoft, Apple, and Google that are sitting on giant stacks of cash are much more likely to consider acquisitions right now than companies with substantially smaller stacks of cash like Sony.

To be clear, it's not so much the nominal size of the cash balance sitting on the balance sheet.  But, the size of that balance relative to other factors of the business that makes it much more likely for a company like Microsoft to consider a major acquisition than a company like Sony.  

Microsoft has cash that it needs to spend. It has a fiduciary duty to make better use of that cash than sitting it on the balance sheet and having inflation eat it away everyday.  The same factors apply to Sony. But, the relative size of their cash balance is substantially smaller, at least it was last I paid attention. So, the pressure on Sony to find alternative uses for that cash is lower.  

Respectfully the IP is well over 20 years old. Time to..

Assuming Sony does acquire SE.. I highly doubt Sony/SE would be interested in a niche IP, never mind a JRPG from a bygone era. And assuming they did look at previous IP's something like Chrono series would take priority. I'd want SE to have a look at Vagrant Story myself regardless xP

Do respect the energy though, keep the flame going dude lol. Happy to eat crow if by some miracle it does happen.

twintail said:
hinch said:

Do respect the energy though, keep the flame going dude lol. Happy to eat crow if by some miracle it does happen.

I'll say this much: if LoD appears on PS+ I'll think about playing it. 

If Sony does remaster/ remake it: I'll probably buy it because of BraLoD's dedication!

Positive vibes FTW!

twintail said:
hinch said:

I'll say this much: if LoD appears on PS+ I'll think about playing it. 

If Sony does remaster/ remake it: I'll probably buy it because of BraLoD's dedication!

Lol yeah, same.

Never got around to playing it on the PS1. Might have to see what the fuss is all about on this one, should it ever release/re-release on modern platforms. Upscaling is pretty good nowadays, even for old 2D games and art.

I mean check this mode of from out from a fan made community from 'The Legend of the Dragoon Project'. Its done through Ai training and upscaling -

https://legendofdragoon.org/2021/01/01/upscale-project-debut/

Higher chance for a new Arc the Lad game.