By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox Series X|S Outsells PS5 Again - Global Hardware Mar 27-Apr 2

PotentHerbs said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Show your work. Please link to these “tons” of posts claiming whatever sales crap you just stated

The work is in this very thread if you bothered to look. 

There's the initial post from Archbrix on pg.6 with 3 likes, disputing the claim that Xbox can't win NA in a landslide like the 360 without complete Call of Duty exclusivity, setting off various reply chains. There's a response from ironmanDX on pg.7 with 7 likes, saying zero chance is far too low for the Series consoles winning NA in similar fashion as the 360, but to be fair he did admit to a misunderstanding. And then there's Dulfite post on pg.7 offering to serve crow with 3+ likes when the Series consoles win NA like the 360 did. We even got a few posters contextualizing how difficult it would be for the Series consoles to win NA like the 360 did.

Don't blame me for mentioning all this hyperbole. I'm not the one making outrageous predictions yet alone doubling down like Archbrix or Dulfite. And no, I don't buy the majority of these people were misguided about what winning NA in a landslide like the Xbox 360 meant, when other posters made that distinction, and when ironmanDX cleared up his misunderstanding, it only got 1 like. 

So your receipts are anonymous likes on a forum and the one with the most likes is just saying 0% is too low. Gotcha.

Riveting stuff.

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:

So your receipts are anonymous likes on a forum and the one with the most likes is just saying 0% is too low. Gotcha.

Riveting stuff.

A handful of users backing posts from a few users echoing a similar sentiment is still indicative of thread sentiment. The fact that 7 people agreed that Series consoles winning NA like the Xbox 360 even without Call of Duty exclusivity should be much higher than 0% speaks volumes. That would be nearly half of the people participating in this thread based on how many individual accounts have posted in here. 

PotentHerbs said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Show your work. Please link to these “tons” of posts claiming whatever sales crap you just stated

The work is in this very thread if you bothered to look. 

There's the initial post from Archbrix on pg.6 with 3 likes, disputing the claim that Xbox can't win NA in a landslide like the 360 without complete Call of Duty exclusivity, setting off various reply chains. There's a response from ironmanDX on pg.7 with 7 likes, saying zero chance is far too low for the Series consoles winning NA in similar fashion as the 360, but to be fair he did admit to a misunderstanding. And then there's Dulfite post on pg.7 offering to serve crow with 3+ likes when the Series consoles win NA like the 360 did. We even got a few posters contextualizing how difficult it would be for the Series consoles to win NA like the 360 did.

Don't blame me for mentioning all this hyperbole. I'm not the one making outrageous predictions yet alone doubling down like Archbrix or Dulfite. And no, I don't buy the majority of these people were misguided about what winning NA in a landslide like the Xbox 360 meant, when other posters made that distinction, and when ironmanDX cleared up his misunderstanding, it only got 1 like. 

The entire post was addressing your initial statement: ..."and the likelihood of Xbox winning NA in a landslide similar to the Xbox 360, is as likely as the PS5 outselling the PS2's lifetime in Japan."  You mention nothing about the results upon any kind of exclusivity and so that comparison on its own is absurd, which is why I clearly mention in my post COD exclusivity (along with Elder Scrolls & WoW) as factors of how it could happen.  I only entertained that it was not impossible without COD exclusivity and I even conceded later that it certainly wasn't likely, but again, the entire response was to the poor comparison you made to an event that has absolutely no chance in the world of coming remotely close to happening (PS5 reaching PS2 sales in Japan).

For example, I would bet that the PS5 won't reach PS4 sales in the end.  However, I wouldn't compare that scenario to something completely outlandish like the XS reaching 10m in Japan or something.  Even if I believe that the result is the same in the end - both would fail to achieve their respective goals - the comparison would be terribly lopsided.

PotentHerbs said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Riveting stuff.

A handful of users backing posts from a few users echoing a similar sentiment is still indicative of thread sentiment. The fact that 7 people agreed that Series consoles winning NA like the Xbox 360 even without Call of Duty exclusivity should be much higher than 0% speaks volumes. That would be nearly half of the people participating in this thread based on how many individual accounts have posted in here. 

They’re anonymous likes. It could be one person with alt accounts. Do supporters get bonus thump ups on the forum like they do in articles? If so, could be literally two people. Either way, what you said was nonsense and you have no evidence to back it up. 

HoangNhatAnh said:

Their "Halo killer" and "Super Smash killer" still can't beat Halo or Super Smash, let alone CoD.

HoangNhatAnh said:

I'm talking about Killzone and PS All Star, are you high or something? Also, talking about sales and revenue, Minecraft > Destiny 2.

If Minecraft and Destiny are being counted in this fashion, while being compared to the past:

Then while MS owns Halo, Sony made Halo?

I'm pretty sure Sony can do it again then.

Around the Network
archbrix said:

The entire post was addressing your initial statement: ..."and the likelihood of Xbox winning NA in a landslide similar to the Xbox 360, is as likely as the PS5 outselling the PS2's lifetime in Japan."  You mention nothing about the results upon any kind of exclusivity and so that comparison on its own is absurd, which is why I clearly mention in my post COD exclusivity (along with Elder Scrolls & WoW) as factors of how it could happen. I only entertained that it was not impossible without COD exclusivity and I even conceded later that it certainly wasn't likely, but again, the entire response was to the poor comparison you made to an event that has absolutely no chance in the world of coming remotely close to happening (PS5 reaching PS2 sales in Japan).

For example, I would bet that the PS5 won't reach PS4 sales in the end.  However, I wouldn't compare that scenario to something completely outlandish like the XS reaching 10m in Japan or something.  Even if I believe that the result is the same in the end - both would fail to achieve their respective goals - the comparison would be terribly lopsided.

You mention that I didn't consider certain factors of exclusivity when making that comparison, but Microsoft has committed to Sony, Nintendo, and more importantly regulators, that Call of Duty and other Activision Blizzard titles will remain multiplatform. Jason Schreier has also previously confirmed that at least the next three Call of Duty games will come out on PlayStation platforms. You may think my comparison is flawed because I'm not factoring potential exclusivity, but you have not acknowledged anything about these public statements, making your own hypothetical of COD exclusivity absurd. The factors needed for the Series consoles to at least approach X360 dominance in NA, as you have said, would immediately be derailed by Sony's marketing contracts, as well as Microsoft trying to appease regulators. 

Also, while I didn't mention certain win conditions, it's not like I written off Xbox winning NA in my initial post, or even disagreed with the outcome of said exclusivity. Why are you so fixated on the comparison with the PS5 and PS2 in Japan? Even if I conceded on that point, and there may be a sliver of chance Xbox Series X/S wins NA similar to the seventh generation without Call of Duty exclusivity, its only slightly more possible than PS5 outselling the PS2 in Japan. Nothing about the comparison would be lopsided in any regard.

LudicrousSpeed said:

They’re anonymous likes. It could be one person with alt accounts. Do supporters get bonus thump ups on the forum like they do in articles? If so, could be literally two people. Either way, what you said was nonsense and you have no evidence to back it up. 

You can't prove that those likes are from alt accounts either. This is currently one of the most active threads on VGChartz. These likes being from a variety of different users isn't exactly a far fetched theory. And no, if these likes are from different posters, which would be representative of thread sentiment, its all the evidence needed to prove my original point. 

Kyuu said:

Even after the Zenimax and AB acquisitions, I'd bet Microsoft would still be behind Sony in sales for exclusives/console exclusives, especially if their games do make GamePass day and date, which would increase subscriptions at the cost of lower sales (but possibly higher overall revenue). Counting MS game sales on Playstation consoles should put them above Sony's level, but it will not be a threat whatsoever coz they'll continue to sell Playstation systems for Sony who will also get their (30%?) cut.

With Bungie in the mix, Sony has never been in a better position as far as 1st party studios. And it shouldn't surprise anyone if they announce one or two more big acquisitions along the lines of FromSoftware.

Their only obvious challenge atm is production. I don't know what's going on but Microsoft is kicking their ass right now in production, and this advantage could snowball into trouble for PS5's potential and mindshare. Sony could have comfortably had their best generation; I think they still have this potential if they manage to sort things out within 12 months, otherwise it's unlikely.

They have to buy Kadokawa first.

Kyuu said:

Imagine still being stuck at Killzone Shadow Fall (2013) and Playstation Allstars (2012).

If you can't see that Sony will be able to create/fund at least one or two new major MP centric games/series this generation, then you're all in for a rude awakening. In addition to acquiring Bungie, several Sony studios are already working on MP/GaaS projects, and they're investing big on 2nd party and large independant studios to make their own ambitious/AAA MP projects, which I imagine most will make it on PC, some at launch and others at later dates. PC is essential for them to succeed here.

It isn't far fetched that Microsoft's threat of taking major MP games away from Playstation could compell Sony to try even harder to address one of their weaknesses (which was masked by the likes of Call of Duty). Without Playstation, Zenimax/AB games popularity would decline drastically anyways, so the competition wouldn't be against CoD, or The Elder Scrolls, or Fallout as we know them.

MP games? Well, MS, even Nintendo already did that long ago.

PotentHerbs said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

I'm talking about Killzone and PS All Star, are you high or something? Also, talking about sales and revenue, Minecraft > Destiny 2.

You're talking about Sony games from a time period where Microsoft didn't own TES, Minecraft, or Call of Duty. Why would Killzone or PS All Stars be relevant now when Sony owns Bungie? 

So Bungie can make replacement to all of these: CoD, TES, Minecraft, Doom, Wolfenstein, Fallout, Sypro, Crash, Skylanders???

ConservagameR said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Their "Halo killer" and "Super Smash killer" still can't beat Halo or Super Smash, let alone CoD.

HoangNhatAnh said:

If Minecraft and Destiny are being counted in this fashion, while being compared to the past:

Then while MS owns Halo, Sony made Halo?

I'm pretty sure Sony can do it again then.

Just like PS All Star vs Super Smash, we all knew the outsome. But yes, Sony can try and try again.

I feel like it's too early to assess the balance of power for Microsoft's first party when we still have little idea what they're going to keep away from PS and what they're going to keep multiplat in the medium to long term.

At any rate, even if MS were to act aggressively, I don't think they can pose an existential threat to Playstation. Sony's first party catalog is very strong and they have the more globally popular brand.