No 46 41.44%

Undecided 4 3.60%

Total:111

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

This dude is a vile creep.

What a disgusting pig.

I found this documentary very informative about Elon Musk and free speech:

Of course it's suppressed and it shouldn't be, private companies need new laws in this day and age that allow people to share there opinions within the feame work of the law of the country the user is in and not on their own shoddy rules that they can change on the fly. It's a new age and we need new laws the same as back in the day when the free world implemented these rules. For years people died to the Catholic Church to pursue knowledge and science, wars were fought and many died to uphold our feeedoms since then and that should not be ignored, we need to uphold what they died for and not regress.

Thread has changed from "Musk Buys Twitter" to "Twitter is Now X" to "The Free Speech Thread" thus retroactively making a lot of previous comments now off-topic and messy, Lol. Can't help but feel it was changed because Musk was being blasted by most users. What even is "The Free Speech Thread" anyway? It won't be a place where users can say whatever they want so what's the idea here?

I suppose we can talk about how Musk is a massive hypocrite on "free speech" still, but changing the topic of the thread when it's hundreds of comments in and was previously centred on Elon Musk/Twitter is messy and either this thread should be locked or it should be changed back to being centred on Musk/Twitter. Be like if I changed the Xbox OT all of a sudden into a topic centred around Mega Corporations, Lol.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 25 September 2024

Around the Network

@padib I agree with Ryuu here.
Changing a thread title hundreds of posts into the discussion to something completely different can be confusing, especially to newcomers (and it's already problematic that the original post got wiped) unless the thread title is intutive to the discussion.

I don't think this title is.
Plus, if you say something that breaks TOS on Twitter/X, you get banned.

Imagine if the Ukraine thread was changed to "The Freedom thread".

Ryuu96 said:

Thread has changed from "Musk Buys Twitter" to "Twitter is Now X" to "The Free Speech Thread" thus retroactively making a lot of previous comments now off-topic and messy, Lol. Can't help but feel it was changed because Musk was being blasted by most users. What even is "The Free Speech Thread" anyway? It won't be a place where users can say whatever they want so what's the idea here?

I suppose we can talk about how Musk is a massive hypocrite on "free speech" still, but changing the topic of the thread when it's hundreds of comments in and was previously centred on Elon Musk/Twitter is messy and either this thread should be locked or it should be changed back to being centred on Musk/Twitter. Be like if I changed the Xbox OT all of a sudden into a topic centred around Mega Corporations, Lol.

The original post of this thread doesn't even exist anymore, so it should be locked based on this unexplained title change in combination with the latest post by padib (the thread's creator) which is a 40 minute YouTube video with no real explanation why anyone should watch it. He has a track record of posting Qanon content, so we are way past the point of giving the benefit of doubt or trust that it's worth the time.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

LegitHyperbole said:

Of course it's suppressed and it shouldn't be, private companies need new laws in this day and age that allow people to share there opinions within the feame work of the law of the country the user is in and not on their own shoddy rules that they can change on the fly. It's a new age and we need new laws the same as back in the day when the free world implemented these rules. For years people died to the Catholic Church to pursue knowledge and science, wars were fought and many died to uphold our feeedoms since then and that should not be ignored, we need to uphold what they died for and not regress.

Meh, Trump suppresses free speech on Truth Social, Elon suppresses free speech on Twitter/X.  Anyone that cries about free speech, doesn't actually believe in free speech for everyone.  Trump just recently said "Americans who criticize the Supreme Court for overturning Roe v. Wade should be imprisoned: “These people should be put in jail for the way they talk about our judges and justices”.  By the way Trump criticizes judges all the time, so I guess he just mean other people not him.

rapsuperstar31 said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Meh, Trump suppresses free speech on Truth Social, Elon suppresses free speech on Twitter/X.  Anyone that cries about free speech, doesn't actually believe in free speech for everyone.  Trump just recently said "Americans who criticize the Supreme Court for overturning Roe v. Wade should be imprisoned: “These people should be put in jail for the way they talk about our judges and justices”.  By the way Trump criticizes judges all the time, so I guess he just mean other people not him.

If that is true, my point stands. They need to be held to the laws of the country for better or worse, some countries have oppressive caveats to their free speech like in the UK. I don't give a shit what Trump or Musk are doing, free speech is a basic human right in the western world and things need to be rectified in the new digital age. 

LegitHyperbole said:
rapsuperstar31 said:

If that is true, my point stands. They need to be held to the laws of the country for better or worse, some countries have oppressive caveats to their free speech like in the UK. I don't give a shit what Trump or Musk are doing, free speech is a basic human right in the western world and things need to be rectified in the new digital age. 

Which are?

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.