By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Is free speech suppressed on the internet's main public squares

Yes 61 54.95%

No 46 41.44%

Undecided 4 3.60%

Total:111

an EU country has to invent its own social media platform asap, which will follow our laws and regulations, without having to feed some rotten greedy US billionaires

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Around the Network

Hiku said:

And of course, Elon is crying about "free speech" being blocked when he himself didn't want to follow the rules. Disinformation was rampant on X in Brazil (and not just there!) but doing anything against it is labeled by Elon as censorship - unless someone would share disinformation about himself or his political friends, where he suddenly wields the biggest banhammer possible plus potentially waving with a lawsuit afterwards for good measure.

The worst of all is seeing people defending that dictator who loves to throw people in jail just because he disagrees with them. I can't believe I share the same name as him.

Someone needs to stop this guy, the whole country is at his hands right now.

Twitter is being shut down here in Brazil, as it should be. Our constitution says companies need to have legal representatives and office in our country and Musk just removed the ones there were here because he didn't want to follow brazilian laws.

Last edited by CourageTCD - on 30 August 2024

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
Hiku said:

And of course, Elon is crying about "free speech" being blocked when he himself didn't want to follow the rules. Disinformation was rampant on X in Brazil (and not just there!) but doing anything against it is labeled by Elon as censorship - unless someone would share disinformation about himself or his political friends, where he suddenly wields the biggest banhammer possible plus potentially waving with a lawsuit afterwards for good measure.

You pretty much nailed it

CourageTCD said:

Twitter is being shut down here in Brazil, as it should be. Our constitution says companies need to have legal representatives and office in our country and Musk just removed the ones there were here because he didn't want to follow brazilian laws.

And to put some pressure on Musk, they also blocked payments for Starlink, Musk's Internet-over-satellite service. The Amazon region is due to it's geographical features mostly using Starlink for it's internet access, so losing those clients would be a steep cut for Starlink.

But I agree with legal experts here that blocking Starlink payments is a step too far, as it punishes many people in Brazil for something that they have little to no influence about.

Good it was blocked. Twitter has long become a platform to spread misinformed and betting websites. Hopefully Telegram goes next

Bofferbrauer2 said:

And to put some pressure on Musk, they also blocked payments for Starlink, Musk's Internet-over-satellite service. The Amazon region is due to it's geographical features mostly using Starlink for it's internet access, so losing those clients would be a steep cut for Starlink.

But I agree with legal experts here that blocking Starlink payments is a step too far, as it punishes many people in Brazil for something that they have little to no influence about.

Elon is such a bad dude. Like the worst.

EricHiggin said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Elon is such a bad dude. Like the worst.

It's Brazil shutting off the signal coming from the satellites (basically it's IP adresses), not Musk cutting it. He has absolutely zero influence about it safe for what he should have done in the first place. Him grandstanding about continuing to provide Starlink is just posturing, salesmanship and him having absolutely no clue how that actually works.