Is free speech suppressed on the internet's main public squares

Yes 56 53.85%

No 44 42.31%

Undecided 4 3.85%

Total:104
EricHiggin said:
Jumpin said:

Haha! :D

I also came here to post that he seems to be having buyer’s remorse on his 44 billion USD metaphorical Mazda Miata.

I dunno, it looks as though Elon was at least somewhat aware of the situation from the get go. It almost seems like he planned on this for quite some time.

You still sucking Elon or did you finally realize he fucked up?

Around the Network

Even though these are private companies, they have become very much public utilities and as such, their influence is massive. Everybody should understand how dangerous they can be in the hands of extreme ideologs of any stripe.
Whatever you think of Musk, he is undeniably not in the business of censorship, but rather making sure that everyone gets to speak regardless of their political leanings.
The enforcing of the TOS on Twitter has been at best inconsistent and at worst clearly biased or even political suppression.
Cracking a window and letting some sunlight in can only be a good thing here, for anyone who has nothing to hide.

Dante9 said:

Even though these are private companies, they have become very much public utilities and as such, their influence is massive. Everybody should understand how dangerous they can be in the hands of extreme ideologs of any stripe.
Whatever you think of Musk, he is undeniably not in the business of censorship, but rather making sure that everyone gets to speak regardless of their political leanings.
The enforcing of the TOS on Twitter has been at best inconsistent and at worst clearly biased or even political suppression.
Cracking a window and letting some sunlight in can only be a good thing here, for anyone who has nothing to hide.

You actually believe that crap?

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/04/25/elon-musk-and-free-speech-track-record-not-encouraging.html

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Dante9 said:

Mr Musk, tear down this wall!

Jumpin said:
Dante9 said:

You actually believe that crap?

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/04/25/elon-musk-and-free-speech-track-record-not-encouraging.html

As for his Twitter comment, I assume he means bias against conservatives:

https://www.newsnationnow.com/business/tech/is-twitter-really-biased-this-study-takes-a-look/
https://www.techdirt.com/2022/04/18/fascinating-new-study-suggests-again-that-twitter-moderation-is-biased-against-misinformation-not-conservatives/
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/oct/22/twitter-admits-bias-in-algorithm-for-rightwing-politicians-and-news-outlets
https://theconversation.com/twitters-algorithm-favours-the-political-right-a-recent-study-finds-175154

It never ceases to amaze me how conservatives can convince themselves and others that the deck is stacked against them when that couldn't be less true. That's the victim complex that fuels the whole movement for you.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

Musk is for free speech only as long as it serves himself, which means he is actually not for free speech. But this is in line with the definition of free speech of the far-right, so naturally he will have a lot of fans among them.

I believe this is true. Unfortunately we just learned that twitter is working with the US government to ban people so looks like either way we are screwed. Makes sense why they wanted to setup the ministry of truth now. Instead of just having random people from the admin calling these social companies and telling them what to do they wanted a whole department setup and ready to go.

A link in Jumpin's article led me to another I recommend to everyone. More than Musk it's about the history and necessity of platform moderation and how most every platform that scales ends up adopting similar content standards eventually for a reason:

https://www.techdirt.com/2022/04/15/elon-musk-demonstrates-how-little-he-understands-about-content-moderation/

"As anyone who has lived through (or read up on) the history of content moderation knows, platforms all went through this exact process. The process that Musk thinks no one has actually done. They all started with a fundamental default towards allowing more speech and moderating less. And they all realized over time that it’s a lot more nuanced than that.

They all realized that there are massive trade-offs to every decision, but that some decisions still need to be made in order to stop “making the product worse” and to figure out ways to build “maximal trust” and to be “broadly inclusive.” In other words, for all of Musk’s complaining, Twitter has already done all the work he seems to pretend it hasn’t done. And his “solution” is to go back to square one while ignoring all the people who learned about the pitfalls, challenges, nuances, and trade-offs of the various approaches to dealing with these things… and to pretend that no one has done any work in this area."

Last edited by TallSilhouette - on 18 August 2022

I personally had doubts the second Elon Musk announced this plan. If anything I kind of expect it as some sort of bait and switch. As a conservative, I would like to deal with a twitter that isn't run by stasi lite, but it doesn't seem like the overton window is heading in the right direction.

method114 said:
RolStoppable said:

Musk is for free speech only as long as it serves himself, which means he is actually not for free speech. But this is in line with the definition of free speech of the far-right, so naturally he will have a lot of fans among them.

I believe this is true. Unfortunately we just learned that twitter is working with the US government to ban people so looks like either way we are screwed. Makes sense why they wanted to setup the ministry of truth now. Instead of just having random people from the admin calling these social companies and telling them what to do they wanted a whole department setup and ready to go.

Almost half way down the link is a timeline of Musks political contributions.

HIGHLIGHTS FROM ELON MUSK'S POLITICAL ROAD

The billionaire entrepreneur has forged — and oftentimes just as quickly abandoned — myriad political allegiances over the years.

Elon Musk’s GOP ties deepen as he appears at a Trump-aligned donor event [Video] (aol.com)

Looks as perhaps it depends on which side he's on, which in terms of contributions, seems like he's been center from about 2000-2020 and has only recently contributed only to Republicans. In which case he's said it's only because he feels the Democrats have shifted too far left as of right now. He also said Trump should pass the torch and be done with politics.

Though it also shows he's contributed to one party in the past early on, only to then also contribute to the opposition later on in the same election. He could change his stance at any time or just play both sides still regardless based on his past.

Hard to say he's chosen a final side, but as to who I've quoted here, maybe he really is only playing his own politics and doesn't care about either side.

Question is, is that a good thing or bad thing, and would that be for the better or worse for Twitter in the end?

Last edited by ConservagameR - on 18 August 2022

the-pi-guy said:
method114 said:

They are?

Yep Alex Berenson sued and was able to prove that the white house was consistently pushing twitter to ban him until the finally complied and did. I think the scariest thing to me about this is it puts the government in a position to use these companies to violate our first amendment rights. That way they government can say "we aren't violating your free speech rights these companies can do what they want". Meanwhile they are in the back room calling these companies begging them to ban you and who knows what else goes on in these back room conversations. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/twitter-becomes-a-tool-of-government-censors-alex-berenson-twitter-facebook-ban-covid-misinformation-first-amendment-psaki-murthy-section-230-antitrust-11660732095