By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Big 3's online Services

Which Service do you think is the best value?

PSN+ Premium 12 25.00%

Xbox Game Pass Ultimate 28 58.33%

Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion 8 16.67%

Total:48

From the chart, I think Nintendo's is better. However, there is a lot of stuff that isn't on the chart that is lacking on Nintendo's service. For example, the quality of online gameplay is VERY variable. Splatoon 2? Great, works fantastic. Smash Ultimate? Awful headache, don't even want to try anymore. In addition, adding friends for online play is just more cumbersome on Nintendo hardware. That said, I do like that their online plan is so cheap in comparison to the other two, and I love how they allowed for family plans (8 people can all have NSO + Expansion pass for a year for less money per person than one month of PS+ or Gamepass).

IF Nintendo's online was better I'd give it to them. As it stands, I think I'm a bigger fan of Playstations tier system for the sole reason of it being cheaper while including online play. That said, not really a big fan of these subscription services. It's a shame that Nintendo isn't offering individual purchases and I'd imagine Sony will be following suit.

Around the Network

I've never used Game Pass, but I have to give it to them. There are $60 games on there from Day One. And if you care about those games, it's easily the best value. Even ignoring that, there's quite a bit offered.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

It should be mentioned that the backwards compatible games with Xbox are there by default. You don't need a subscription to play those old games. Just pop in the disc.

I just got my PS5 and I did not know PS Plus was required for cloud saves lol. That sucks but oh well.

But each subscription service does have their own unique benefits that make them inviting. I'm still debating if I want any of them. I'd like NSO for the N64 games and included DLC but I'm still holding off on that. 

The best value? If you do it the smartest way possible, then the NSO + Family plan, no doubt about it. 8 different accounts get access to hundreds of classic titles, Mario Kart 8d booster pass, and ACNH expansion (plus other bonuses currently and in the future) all for just $6.25 a year.

I love Gamepass PC the most, but there is no doubt if done the smart way NSO + is the best value in subscription.

Easy W to gamepass, especially in comparison with the month by month prices. I had no idea preimum PsPlus was $3 more expensive.

Strange of IGN to omit the yearly amount though.... Would likely look less favourabe to gamepass and IGN seem to have a larger Sony following so I doubt they're tyring to pander to the Xbox minority. They should add it.

All 3 are rather different and offer different things so value can be found in all 3.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:

The best value? If you do it the smartest way possible, then the NSO + Family plan, no doubt about it. 8 different accounts get access to hundreds of classic titles, Mario Kart 8d booster pass, and ACNH expansion (plus other bonuses currently and in the future) all for just $6.25 a year.

I love Gamepass PC the most, but there is no doubt if done the smart way NSO + is the best value in subscription.

I guess it depends on the person. Played Halo, Forza last year which cost in excess of $80 new here in Australia. Tunic will probably cost $30 and GotG another $30-50.

I would have certainly bought the first 2 and never tried the latter had it not been for Gamepass. The service "pays for itself" for my usage.

The cheaper online and bundled games and DLC with Nintendo though is certainly the best bang for buck for people with multiple gaming devices or who primarily play on the Switch for sure.

ironmanDX said:
Dulfite said:

I guess it depends on the person. Played Halo, Forza last year which cost in excess of $80 new here in Australia. Tunic will probably cost $30 and GotG another $30-50.

I would have certainly bought the first 2 and never tried the latter had it not been for Gamepass. The service "pays for itself" for my usage.

The cheaper online and bundled games and DLC with Nintendo though is certainly the best bang for buck for people with multiple gaming devices or who primarily play on the Switch for sure.

For sure Gamepass is awesome! I've saved thousands of dollars so far playing games there. But most people play only a few games a year, so if older games is your jam and you don't play much, the NSO + Family plan is the best value. For me, personally, the best value is Gamepass PC far and away.

Value is subjective. This year GamePass has already saved me over $200 on games I wanted to buy and now don't have to. It also gave me a few games I didn't know I would like and ended up liking. Or in the case of a game like Tainted Grail, ended up loving. To me the answer is obvious. But again, it's subjective.

I'd say based on what's known about the new Plus, it's the best value, if we're only taking value into account.
As for what's the best deal, Game Pass wins that because you just can't beat giving tons of (new) (AAA) games away for free basically.

GamePass PC easily saved me over $1000 on the XBox eco system. But I don't have anything to show for it or keep.

I'm happy I bought FS2020 premium edition. The time I played it for sill makes that initial outlay far less than having been subscribed to game pass for that long. Plus I have full access to the game files on Steam and can pick it up any time again (to check out the further updates) without have to subscribe again.

GamePass let me try out Age of Empires IV and confirm I've 'grown out of it', didn't grab me like AoE2 did. Money saved. Same for a lot of other games I was on the fence about, play for a bit, then move on. It saved me money on indies I was on the fence about as well. But most of all it saved me money on (and the hassle of finding) a Series X and a bunch of AAA games.

The other two services don't save me anything. I don't have Nintendo online, but do have ps+ simply for playing online (me and my kids, it says no family plan, but the whole family can play online with one sub). I rarely use the discounts to buy anything (still buy physical) and the ps+ games are all add to library and forget. (The last 'free' ps+ game I actually played was Wreckfest PS5) I just top it up every year with the BF discount.

So the theme is the same, pay with nothing to show for it after you stop paying :p