By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Big 3's online Services

Which Service do you think is the best value?

PSN+ Premium 12 25.00%

Xbox Game Pass Ultimate 28 58.33%

Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion 8 16.67%

Total:48
V-r0cK said:

Moneywise, Nintendo is the best value. Microsoft highest end is $60 more than Sony's highest end, so lets hope MS continues doing what the fans are loving about their service to justify the price.

But I'm calling this now, MS will start to pull back their Day 1 exclusive games (ie Call of Duty etc..).

I can't see MS making Activision money with their IP if they release everything Day 1 on Gamepass. They're doing it now to lure everyone in at first, but watch, Sony's not doing that because they know you make more money selling the games than on service, and I bet MS will follow. Correction, not follow but have already thought about it as well because I'm sure that's what Phil was hinting at earlier.

Unless someone can tell me that Halo Infinite was a huge success and made a lot of money while being on Game Pass because I felt like that flew off the radar fast.

I could be missing some factors so I'd be happy for anyone to tell me otherwise.

If Sony brings in all the big guns from their previous systems that'd be an advantage because Sony has some serious classics in the PS1-PS2 era. Nintendo has a lot of amazing classics too but they're so dam slow at adding them. Nintendo sure love to tease their fans *cough Metroid Prime 4*

That's not going to happen. MS bought Activision to bolster their Game Pass catalog and having an annual or bi-annual CoD will be huge for growth and retaining subs. MS is 100% in on Game Pass and taking a loss initially is not their main concern. You also need to remember that CoD will still release on other platforms like Minecraft so they will still be selling copies. But being available on Game Pass day 1 will attract a lot of people to want an Xbox or PC. 

Sony won't do this because they literally can't afford it. 

Around the Network
smroadkill15 said:
V-r0cK said:

Moneywise, Nintendo is the best value. Microsoft highest end is $60 more than Sony's highest end, so lets hope MS continues doing what the fans are loving about their service to justify the price.

But I'm calling this now, MS will start to pull back their Day 1 exclusive games (ie Call of Duty etc..).

I can't see MS making Activision money with their IP if they release everything Day 1 on Gamepass. They're doing it now to lure everyone in at first, but watch, Sony's not doing that because they know you make more money selling the games than on service, and I bet MS will follow. Correction, not follow but have already thought about it as well because I'm sure that's what Phil was hinting at earlier.

Unless someone can tell me that Halo Infinite was a huge success and made a lot of money while being on Game Pass because I felt like that flew off the radar fast.

I could be missing some factors so I'd be happy for anyone to tell me otherwise.

If Sony brings in all the big guns from their previous systems that'd be an advantage because Sony has some serious classics in the PS1-PS2 era. Nintendo has a lot of amazing classics too but they're so dam slow at adding them. Nintendo sure love to tease their fans *cough Metroid Prime 4*

That's not going to happen. MS bought Activision to bolster their Game Pass catalog and having an annual or bi-annual CoD will be huge for growth and retaining subs. MS is 100% in on Game Pass and taking a loss initially is not their main concern. You also need to remember that CoD will still release on other platforms like Minecraft so they will still be selling copies. But being available on Game Pass day 1 will attract a lot of people to want an Xbox or PC. 

I would say you are correct, with the caveat that no one can predict the future.  No company in the history of humanity has ever walked back on something or a promise.  5, 10, 15 years from now, who knows what gaming is going to look like.  For now enjoy the best value in gaming.

Charts like these are a bit misleading because they will tell you that said company has access to older games, but said gallery of games is really underwhelming and very limited.

smroadkill15 said:
V-r0cK said:

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/microsoft-says-games-dont-need-to-be-on-game-pass-to-be-viable-on-xbox/

This article makes me question that. (also posted on VGC some time ago but couldn't find it, sorry, I rather advertise links from this website than other sites) This could just be Phil's way of slowly pulling back so they can make that Activison money lol

Of course I could be 100% wrong, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.  

V-r0cK said:
smroadkill15 said:

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/microsoft-says-games-dont-need-to-be-on-game-pass-to-be-viable-on-xbox/

This article makes me question that. (also posted on VGC some time ago but couldn't find it, sorry, I rather advertise links from this website than other sites) This could just be Phil's way of slowly pulling back so they can make that Activison money lol

He is referring to 3rd party games. 

Around the Network

Game Pass have the best value 

But looking for what Playstation Plus offers... their games are better. So I vote for them 

V-r0cK said:
smroadkill15 said:

The biggest thing you always hear about Game Pass is day 1. As soon as MS would deviate from that, even in the slightest, they would get roasted third degree burn style. They can't remove day 1.

I think the only way out would be to increase the tier prices, or add a top tier above ultimate to try to offset the costs for all tiers. Netflix ain't as cheap as it used to be.

CaptainExplosion said:

So far, Xbox, because Nintendo hasn't done enough to make NSO good.

Man I just want my GBA/GC roms on the damn thing, heck I just want to be able to play the Zelda games I bought for my 3DS on the Switch....

Can't even get any backwards compat, can't even play digital based roms from the previous system, and even then the latest emulators on the thing require internet, it's daft as fuck.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

smroadkill15 said:

He is referring to 3rd party games. 

Let's hope he's referring to 3rd party games but he never ruled out that they can't change and do the same either.

ConservagameR said:

The biggest thing you always hear about Game Pass is day 1. As soon as MS would deviate from that, even in the slightest, they would get roasted third degree burn style. They can't remove day 1.

I think the only way out would be to increase the tier prices, or add a top tier above ultimate to try to offset the costs for all tiers. Netflix ain't as cheap as it used to be.

They can deviate from Day 1 if they feel it's not as profitable, it's not like they said it's guaranteed forever.  At least Sony is upfront about it.  MS could follow Disney+ where some new movies are Day 1 and others are only in theaters.  MS may have to increase price if they intend to keep Day 1 but they are already the most expensive service (if you add it up annually the highest tier) so I'm not sure how pleased the players will be.

I can only wonder how much (less?) money Spiderman No Way Home would have made if it was also released on Disney+ Day 1.

It's great that MS has Day 1 games as that's the biggest and best feature, but again, I'd like to know how profitable Halo Infinite was with it also being a GP Day 1 game.  MS likes to hide actual sales number these days and just boast about how many players have "played" it.  Until then, I just can't see MS making the billions of dollars Activision did with their IPs if they're going to release them on GP.

I mean, next week thousands of people will have to pay $70 if they want to play the game below, while thousands of others will have the option to play it at no extra cost if they so desire. You be the judge.