By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Updates to Story of Seasons and Monster Hunter Rise (both on Switch)

Was just curious to see if these sales data were missed by whoever updates the sales database. 

Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town reached 1 million on the Switch alone, according to this article from XSEED on Nov.29, 2021.

https://www.xseedgames.com/2021/11/18/story-of-seasons-pioneers-of-olive-town-free-content-update-revealed-with-new-series-sales-milestone/

Monster Hunter Rise also reached 7.7 million on Switch before the PC version released, according to Capcom sales charts as of Dec. 31, 2021.

https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

This site has these titles at 0.7 million and 7.5 million respectively, as of this post.

Thank you to all who contribute to keeping this site afloat!

1doesnotsimply

Around the Network

Wow, I thought the name change would have hurt sales. Never thought Story of Seasons was a million seller.

Capcom's update should be in just over a week, SOS has marched on despite the change in name.

JCGamer55 said:

Wow, I thought the name change would have hurt sales. Never thought Story of Seasons was a million seller.

It’s a pleasant surprise.

It’s years later, and while it’s getting better, there are many people who don’t seem to realize that a name change occurred; or that the current “Harvest Moon” franchise has nothing to do with the original one other than the name. So, I suspect a lot of it has to do with building up a whole new brand with many not even aware that Story of Seasons = Harvest Moon 1997-2013 with a new localized name.

I suspect part of the issue is the localizers (a company called Natsume) is literally using the “Harvest Moon” trademark to publish near indistinguishable copycat games. So many are just assuming that the series began to suck and that Story of Seasons is the clone franchise. It’s weird how the court systems take Natsume’s side in this - the whole purpose of trademark law is to prevent people from confusing consumers, and Natsume is doing just that.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 24 March 2022

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
JCGamer55 said:

It’s a pleasant surprise.

It’s years later, and while it’s getting better, there are many people who don’t seem to realize that a name change occurred; or that the current “Harvest Moon” franchise has nothing to do with the original one other than the name. So, I suspect a lot of it has to do with building up a whole new brand with many not even aware that Story of Seasons = Harvest Moon 1997-2013 with a new localized name.

I suspect part of the issue is the localizers (a company called Natsume) is literally using the “Harvest Moon” trademark to publish near indistinguishable copycat games. So many are just assuming that the series began to suck and that Story of Seasons is the clone franchise. It’s weird how the court systems take Natsume’s side in this - the whole purpose of trademark law is to prevent people from confusing consumers, and Natsume is doing just that.

That makes sense. I can see some people thinking that "Story of Seasons" is the newer and better "Harvest Moon" while the "Harvest Moon" games just become worse and make the "Story of Seasons" games look even better in comparison.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:

Capcom's update should be in just over a week, SOS has marched on despite the change in name.

Would we get separate version sales updates though? The only reason we have the 7.7 million figure is because it was the last fiscal quarter before the PC version launch.

1doesnotsimply

FarleyMcFirefly said:
Wyrdness said:

Would we get separate version sales updates though? The only reason we have the 7.7 million figure is because it was the last fiscal quarter before the PC version launch.

It's been selling at a pace of of 200k per quarter which would give us an estimate although they did say it had sold 7.9m as they were releasing the PC version so we know it's at least 8m by now, estimates in Japan should also help as well.

Wyrdness said:
FarleyMcFirefly said:

It's been selling at a pace of of 200k per quarter which would give us an estimate although they did say it had sold 7.9m as they were releasing the PC version so we know it's at least 8m by now, estimates in Japan should also help as well.

That makes sense for estimates. But since the site switched from estimated sales, to units shipped, I just thought these concrete numbers from the publishers themselves is what they were looking for... 

1doesnotsimply

FarleyMcFirefly said:
Wyrdness said:

That makes sense for estimates. But since the site switched from estimated sales, to units shipped, I just thought these concrete numbers from the publishers themselves is what they were looking for... 

For physical publishers tend to care about shipped as that is a copy already sold to retailer so they've been paid for that amount, at that point it's then the retailer's problem to sell it on hence why reports were done in shipped now days numbers are a mixture because of the growth of digital sales. Digital cuts out the middle man and sells directly to the consumer so not only is it a better return but they know it's in the hands of an actual consumer so the growth of digital put greater focus on sold through for the publishers, in Rise's case we know in Japan it has 1.5m or so at least in digital due to Capcom confirming 3m in Japan back in April when retail estimates where around 1.5m (puts it at 4.05m in total if we only use this figure for digital), western sales we don't really have any breakdown right now sadly.

Edit: It has been updated! Thank you again to those who work hard for this site!

Last edited by FarleyMcFirefly - on 15 April 2022

1doesnotsimply