By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Project Indy: The 3DS successor that was shelved

Sifting through info obtained in the Nintendo "Gigaleak", Rare Gaming Dump have compiled a profile of a 3DS successor codenamed "Project Indy" that was in development in 2012-2014 and ultimately shelved in favour of the Switch.

The system would have been between 3DS and Wii U in power, with the following specs:

- 4 ARM Cortex A53 cores
- Graphics core sometimes mentioned with the name "Decaf Latte", implying that it would've been a portable version of the Wii U's graphics core
- 1GB of LPDDR3 RAM (Switch uses 4GB of LPDDR4)
- A single 3D touchscreen display
- 1 front camera, 2 rear cameras
- Built-in NFC interface (Implying that detachable controllers were not used)
- Accelerometer & gyroscope
- GPS
- PCIe expansion interface for a "Toronto" SoC by Sharp which would have provided 3DS compatibility

INDY - RGDWiki (raregamingdump.ca)

Reveal details of the Nintendo INDY, successor to the 3DS that never came true | Ruetir - Ruetir

Last edited by curl-6 - on 22 March 2022

Around the Network

Okay, this is fascinating!

Personally, I'd have loved it, but it was definitely not the way to go.

Good idea to cancel this. Way too weak.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

not the greatest specs.... however if it was cheap enough, could probably have sold.

Around the Network

That would have continued Nintendo's decline. Glad they shelved it. Would have done great in Japan but especially meh in Europe and just okay in the states.  

Last edited by Otter - on 22 March 2022

Thank god it was canned.

No double screen and clam-shell design? Those are the two aspects I missed the most about the old portable Nintendo era. I'm glad they didn't release it...

I am curious what a Nintendo IP game would look like with these specs!

I wasn't aware of that, thanks!

I think Nintendo realized that 3D was just a fad (it also diappeared in TVs), but maybe we see a revival of GPS and cameras in the Switch (Lite) successor.