By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - FSR 2.0! now with Temporal Up-Sampling! (and better image quality)

From AMD marketing:

"AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution 2.0 technology is a temporal upscaling solution with incredible image quality that is the result of many years of research into upscaling technologies. It has been built by AMD from the ground up to deliver similar or better than native image quality and help boost framerates in supported games."

"FSR 2.0 temporal upscaling uses frame color, depth, and motion vectors in the rendering pipeline and leverages information from past frames to create very high-quality upscaled output and it also includes optimized high-quality anti-aliasing. Spatial upscaling solutions like FSR 1.0 use data from the current frame to create the upscaled output and rely on the separate anti-aliasing incorporated into a game’s rendering pipeline. Because of these differences, FidelityFX Super Resolution 2.0 delivers significantly higher image quality than FSR 1.0 at all quality mode presets and screen resolutions."

Video explaining it:

The short of it?

It boosts performance, while giveing pretty much near equal image quality.

Zoomed in on screengrabs:  (left most = native 4k, then FSR 1.0, and lastly FSR 2)

(left most Native 4k, then FSR 1.0, and lastly FSR2.0)

PCgameshardware.de has a tool for compairsion if  you want to see for yourself:

Link here:
https://www.pcgameshardware.de/commoncfm/comparison/clickSwitchNew.cfm?article=1391135&page=1&draft=-1&rank=3

Around the Network

So the problem with FSR 1.0, was it was useing a Spatial upscaling technique, limited to just the current frame.
In praktis this ment it looked fine while standing still, but things in motion, or movement would cause shimmering.
Thats delt with, when you use a temporal solution (like nvidia did long ago).

Another thing, is the image quality is vastly improved, since your able to use more information, instead of those just limited to the current frame.
So image quality sees a vast jump, in quality compaired to FSR1, at only a slight loss to performance (still vastly better than running native).

This is a step, that takes FSR much closer to DLSS than it previously was.

Hardware unbox's take:

This is deathloop in native 4k:
https://www.pcgameshardware.de/screenshots/original/2022/03/Deathloop_4K-native-pcgh.png

This is deathloop (same shot) in FSR2 quality:
https://www.pcgameshardware.de/screenshots/original/2022/03/Deathloop_FSR-2.0_Quality_4K-pcgh.png

Open up both side by side, and you notice how minor the differnces really are.
While one is basically twice the performance of the other.

AMD's FSR 2.0 in action on Deathloop -

Quite a bit of a upgrade over V1.

It is a pretty good improvement over FSR 1.0 which is nice to see. From what I have seen, this will most likely be similar to TAA upscaling which is a good step forward. As they showed a comparison between FSR 2.0, 1.0 and Native in Deathloop but not against DLSS even though Deathloop has DLSS, it will most likely still look worse than DLSS. But unlike DLSS, you can use this on consoles and non Turing/Ampere GPUs.

It will be interesting when they implement ML though if they ever go that route.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

Have to say it looks great in 4K. This will be a great boon for consoles considering a lot of games nowadays pushing for fidelity, high resolutions or FPS and has to sacrifice one or another to get their results. This will give a big bump in performance in either case and offer better image quality at the same time.

I wonder how well FSR 2 handles lower resolution scaling like 1080P /1440P. Because FSR it was pretty terrible at that.

Nice! Will FSR 2.0 support the Steam Deck?

@Conina since the GPU on Aerith APU is RNDA 2 based I'd assume so.

Anantech has also done a comparison here - https://www.anandtech.com/show/17317/amd-teases-fsr-20-temporal-upscaling-tech-for-games-coming-in-q2

Side by side slider on performance modes for FSR 2 vs 1 and native and actually comes out on top in detail. Impressive stuff!

I will of course always prefer native resolution and a locked framerate, but lower-end PC's and devices don't get that privilege sadly.

The industry has definitely determined that a temporal approach is going to be the industry standard going forth, so it's now ubiquitous with AMD throwing it's hat in.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

The only part that irks me about FSR, is it's overuse of sharpening. Trying to run FSR in Cyberpunk means you've got to deal with sharpening forced on, and though it gives you the clear option to turn it off, it won't, not until you disable FSR entirely. It also doesn't help that with the combined sharpening, you get a horrible jaggy Shimer in distant textures like wires or fence grates.

FSR 2 looks like it's going in a decent direction, but I do wish they would tone down on the sharpening.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"