By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - FSR 2.0! now with Temporal Up-Sampling! (and better image quality)

DLSS looks overly sharpened here. FSR 2.0 looks comparable to native in quality, which is nice though performance looks slightly worse.

Big improvement over 1.0 so there's that. I'd stick to quality if FSR 2.0 is your only option.

Around the Network

More side by side comparisons - FSR 2.0 vs Native
https://imgsli.com/MTAxMDI2
https://imgsli.com/MTAxMDI4

hinch said:

2.0 looks a tiny bit blurry, but still good nonetheless. Though those two pics have the character looking at objects that don't typically stand out for the aliased types, they could have looked at distance wires/cables and rooftops or smaller objects in the distance that give off typical jaggies. 

The slide bar comparison method is far better than triple shot side by side pics, hope we see more like that for this (esp when you have to consider that youtube has horrid compression and would make FSR 2.0 look good without us seeing the actual details).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
hinch said:

The slide bar comparison method is far better than triple shot side by side pics, hope we see more like that for this (esp when you have to consider that youtube has horrid compression and would make FSR 2.0 look good without us seeing the actual details).

The first one MTAxMDI2, you see around the gloves, the gun itself, the text "brain" with the rays, and the "queen of riddles" text, same with the OP letters in neon in the background, all look better with FSR 2.0, than the native shot to me.  The only spot, zoomed out, going back and forth with the slider where I think native wins out, is on the tv screens, where the fsr sharping brings out these streaks (which I dont think was the look the artists where going for).

the 2nd slider, MTAxMDI4, is much harder for me to point out differnces when zoomed out.

I think things are more easily readable (text ect), and certain textures look sharper with FSR 2.0 than native.

Imo, if I had the option, even without performance gains, I might choose to run FSR2.0 if I had the option.
I think it beats out native here (in these screenshots), in terms of image quality.

I wonder if this can help a game like Horizon FW, with lots of high frequency detail constantly changing frame to frame.

Waving foliage flickering in performance mode is still not fixed and might not be possible to fix. Upscaling what looks like 'static' noise is very tricky. Either you make the whole image very soft like FS2020 does with their TAA implementation for upscaling, or you get sharpened high frequency mess.

It's a trade off, more detail means more high frequency contrast, which is harder to upscale. Lower detail, you don't really need 4K, but maybe it will help with RT to maintain a steady fps.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

The first one MTAxMDI2, you see around the gloves, the gun itself, the text "brain" with the rays, and the "queen of riddles" text, same with the OP letters in neon in the background, all look better with FSR 2.0, than the native shot to me.  The only spot, zoomed out, going back and forth with the slider where I think native wins out, is on the tv screens, where the fsr sharping brings out these streaks (which I dont think was the look the artists where going for).

the 2nd slider, MTAxMDI4, is much harder for me to point out differnces when zoomed out.

I think things are more easily readable (text ect), and certain textures look sharper with FSR 2.0 than native.

Imo, if I had the option, even without performance gains, I might choose to run FSR2.0 if I had the option.
I think it beats out native here (in these screenshots), in terms of image quality.

I just noticed, but I had to squint a few times, especially looking at distant text to pop out the same way the Queen of Riddles text did (that text pops easily in 2.0 vs native, each time you slide it).

I've noticed that some colours like the reds appear slightly blurrier in 2.0, but that could just be a banding issue. I believe FSR's sharpening is what is making that Queen of Riddles text stand out, now I think of it. 

The 2nd Slider is the one I feel is the least worthwhile of a slider, mainly because of it's angle, a huge wall is taking up nearly half the screen and the cables to the left are rather close and angled in such a way that makes jaggies not show up as much.

I'd like to see this included in as many new games as possible, but since it's AMD and they want to show it off more, they'll likely include it in said games they'll be showing off more often, making it another cherry picked line of examples, which is why I want them to let devs add it to as many games as possible so we can see other people's examples of better angles.

I'd choose FSR without a doubt if it was the only option of saving more perf, but if I had an RTX card I'd be using DLSS, but seeing as how I don't atm, I'll be going with FSR like I am currently in cyberpunk.

Since most of you on consoles play from a distance, using 2.0 will make it a worthwhile addition to saving perf since the image quality is already close enough, but we'll see how it fares with Cyberpunk, as they use an aggressive form of TAA, and FSR 1.0, even at 1440p, still produces jaggies and shimmering (And the sad thing is, if you disable Cyberpunk's TAA, it looks worse and FSR 1.0 has forced CAS sharpening, which you cannot disable manually, but I managed to via an ini config and it fares a bit better). 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

SvennoJ said:

I wonder if this can help a game like Horizon FW, with lots of high frequency detail constantly changing frame to frame.

Waving foliage flickering in performance mode is still not fixed and might not be possible to fix. Upscaling what looks like 'static' noise is very tricky. Either you make the whole image very soft like FS2020 does with their TAA implementation for upscaling, or you get sharpened high frequency mess.

It's a trade off, more detail means more high frequency contrast, which is harder to upscale. Lower detail, you don't really need 4K, but maybe it will help with RT to maintain a steady fps.

Do we know what AA Horizon FW uses?. I think it could work, but I'm left wondering about the abundance of foliage the game has and how it will look. I imagine FW will be a real test to see how 2.0 would deal with jaggies and smoothing.

As long as it doesn't have aggressive TAA, it should be fine, though with the advent of TAA and devs using slightly different variants of it these days has got me wanting devs to just agree on using one version of it for FSR's sake. 

Last edited by Chazore - on 24 March 2022

Chazore said:

Do we know what AA Horizon FW uses?. I think it could work, but I'm left wondering about the abundance of foliage the game has and how it will look. I imagine FW will be a real test to see how 2.0 would deal with jaggies and smoothing.

As long as it doesn't have aggressive TAA, it should be fine, though with the advent of TAA and devs using slightly different variants of it these days has got me wanting devs to just agree on using one version of it for FSR's sake. 

Horizon renders in checkerboard mode first, then upscales the result with sharpening instead of TAA. That gets messy when most of the screen constantly changes with foliage moving in opposite directions in front of each other. Especially with a sharpening filter on top to make the edges stand out after upscaling.

FSR uses motion vectors to help with temporal reconstruction. Yet I imagine there won't be a motion vector for every single leaf and blade of grass waving about in the wind. It would be very computationally intensive.

TAA removes this high frequency detail. FS2020 uses quite an aggressive form of TAA which removes small details, like small lights, windows and highlights. You get that detail back with supersampling, render at 4K, downsample to 1080p, but that's quite the opposite of trying to gain performance :) Yet super sampling is the only way to solve the softness vs noise conflict when you have lots of fine detail like foliage, power lines etc. And as seen with Horizon, double the frame rate, double the shimmering. (Of course the lower base resolution in performance mode makes a huge difference as well)

It's all a bit counter productive. Upscale to 4K yet lose fine detail in the process. That what you want to see more clearly, gets removed by TAA. I'm wondering if FSR can do a better yet at preserving fine detail without introducing shimmer in motion.

GDC 2022 for FSR 2.0

hinch said:

GDC 2022 for FSR 2.0

2.0's perf mode looks drastically different compared to 1.0's, that's a good gain.

It'd be nice if we could disable most game AA like TAA since 2.0 is taking an already aliased image and producing it's own output, but I doubt that will make much of a difference, I just really dislike Cyberunk's TAA and disabling it completely via an ini file produces bad results (You pretty much have to turn off SSR, because without TAA SSr is totally messed up and relies heavily on TAA).

It does sound a bit odd how they mention 2.0 being built completely from scratch and the ground up, which kinda tells me that FSR 1.0 was merely tossed out into the crowd to entertain, while they worked on 2.0 (esp since 1.0 hardly got many updates to it's progress, while 2.0 looks like a big changeup). 

I take it input resolution is your monitor's res, and output is 2.0's ideal result? (kinda comes off as confusing when they could have just stated input as monitor res and output as FSR 2.0's res).