By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that made you buy a system

Well, I never bought a system because of a single game, but when I was a kid, I wanted to have a PS1 because of Crash Bandicoot.

Around the Network

Coming from a heavy PC and Nintendo background, It was Halo 3 that got me into buying Xbox. Also it was Crash Bandicoot and FF7 that made me buy a PS1.

N64 - Super Mario 64
GameCube - Luigi's Mansion/Smash Melee
DS - Animal Cross Wild World
Wii - Twilight Princess
Xbox 360 - Halo Reach
3ds - Nothing? I just bought it.
Wii U - Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition
Switch - Breath of the Wild

Any Nintendo console for Zelda.

PS3 for Metal Gear Solid 4.

360 for Fable.

PS5 for Final Fantasy 16 (since Horizon and God of War could have been played on my old PS4 Pro).

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

It's happened four times. SMB made me want to get an NES, Mortal Kombat made me want to get a Genesis, Night Trap made me want to get the Sega CD and Splinter Cell made me want to get an Xbox. All the other systems sold themselves.

Around the Network
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Well, I never bought a system because of a single game, but when I was a kid, I wanted to have a PS1 because of Crash Bandicoot.

It’s not really about getting the consoles for this one game. It’s about which one game made you go “ok, now it’s time to get that console and enjoy its library, because I just can’t pass on this one game.”

Taking the PS1 as an example for me, I got the console because the next Final Fantasy (my favourite franchise) was jumping to Sony’s console. But I purchased it prior to the game’s release. I never regretted my purchase, obviously, because I got other stellar games like Castlevania SOTN, Resident Evil, Suikoden, and Vandal hearts to enjoy before the one game that made me buy the console finally came out in NA on September 7, 1997.

JackHandy said:

It's happened four times. SMB made me want to get an NES, Mortal Kombat made me want to get a Genesis, Night Trap made me want to get the Sega CD and Splinter Cell made me want to get an Xbox. All the other systems sold themselves.

Your profile says you’re 32. You wanting a NES for SMB when you were born in 90 or 91 makes little sense. It wasn’t even on the market anymore when you got old enough to hold a controller…

Puyo Puyo got me to buy the FM Towns Marty

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Halo Combat Evolved made me buy an XBox and boy did it blow me away! I understood then why my mates at school talked of it endlessly.

Xbox 360 -Oblivion

Xbox One -Killer Instinct

Home built PC - Skyrim. (I wanted to play it correctly)