By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will 2022 be Nintendo's best year ever?

Will 2022 be Nintendo's best year ever?

Yes 14 40.00%

No 12 34.29%

It'll be on par with 2017 5 14.29%

I have another year in mi... 4 11.43%

Total:35

Unlikely there will be any new hardware, but in terms of game releases, I think this might be Nintendo's best year ever! Surpassing even 2017. Do you think it will be?

In terms of just exclusives, here are the list of games that are, at this time, confirmed for 2022:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2

Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope

Splatoon 3

Mario Strikers: Battle League

Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Live A Live Remake

Triangle Strategy

Pokémon Legends: Arceus

Kirby and the Forgotten Lands

Advance Wars 1+2 Reboot Camp

Nintendo Switch Sports

Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes

Bayonetta 3

Pokémon Scarlet and Violet

Of course the list may change as some games may be pushed to 2023 or even more games that may be announced at an E3 Direct, but this is still an out of this world lineup!

I'm expecting further DLC for some games to be announced (*cough Mario Party Superstars) We'll also be getting quite a few "new" courses in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe throughout 2022. There's also the rumors of the Metroid Prime Remake/Prime Trilogy, new Donkey Kong, and new Fire Emblem. 

Around the Network

All years are Nintendo's best year.

I personally like 2019 and 2021 more. then this year's lineup, even tho this year is great. For Nintendo releases, I am into Bayo, BOTW2, and Xenoblade but then all those Square RPGs and Klonoa and Capcomg Fighting collection that's also right up my alley. Hard to top 2019 for me when I got 2 of my fave games on the system in Astral Chain and Daemon X Machina plus my fave Zelda remade in Links Awakening and my fave DQ game plus more.

Every year Switch has been out has been pretty great. 2018 was the worst but still solid.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I don't want to sound pesimistic. If Nintendo is realising 9th Pokemon generación this holiday season... It is a huge comercial Megaton for this Christmas, I am afraid this impacts on Zelda Breath of the Wild sequel being pushed to 2023. There is no way I see Nintendo releasing both titles at the end id 2022.

So Cross out from that list Zelda and Mario and Rabbids 2, and you Will find out that this year is not so fantastic.

There are several games on that list that I am personally excited to play. In terms of 10m+ selling games I think this year will outdo 2017 as well. So as far as personal tastes and objective software sales, I think this is going to be Switch's peak year.

It is kind of crazy how many big titles keep getting announced and it seems like there should be more announcements still to come.

Around the Network

Xenoblade 3, Bayo 3 and Bread 2. It's up there for me. Unrealistic chance for it to happen, but Pikmin 4 would absolutely make it the best ever.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Can't say until we see what actually in hits in 2022. BotW2 is obviously a huge one. If it doesn't make it in 2022, it is hard for me to see a way that this goes down as their best year ever.

In USD, fiscal year revenue(Ends March 31)

FYRev (M USD)
2009$18,386
2008$16,724
2021$16,534
2010$15,778
2022$14,354 (est)
2011$12,172
2020$12,038
2019$10,805
2018$9,501
2012$8,225

For me, personally, each new year of Switch has a load of new software I like. It's hard to say 2017 was the best because I mostly just played a lot of Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart that year, with some other games (Arms, Disgaea 5, and Xenoblade 2), but in later years, I've been playing dozens of games. 2020 was BIG for Animal Crossing and Xenoblade Chronicles DE. I can't compare the years in terms of simple software releases. I definitely had more fun with Wii/DS than Switch, but I was also younger and probably the perfect sort of person for those systems being they had a lot of classic games, new motion games, and a lot of handheld RPGs. Switch has that too, but I feel its slid under Wii/DS for me.

Relatively speaking to me November 2006 until sometime around 2011 were my favourite years as a gamer. Although, I really enjoy what the Switch has done and think it's the obvious successor, but I've felt the motion games are a bit janky compared to the simpler Wii games - I've had issues with Arms and Ring Fit Adventure while the earlier motion games on Wii were fairly flawless (although, much simpler, so less where they could go wrong) - although, Wii's Skyward Sword was much jankier than any of the Switch motion games I've played so far. Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III (FF6), and Xenoblade Chronicles all hit Wii in 2011 - these were all massive games for me after a strong 2010 for RPGs (including Rune Factory Frontier, Dragon Quest 9, Final Fantasy 1 and II/4, etc.).

The thing with Switch right now is my consumption of video games isn't as voracious as it was a decade ago (my work is more solitary, so less social gaming), and the volume of software is insane, even compared to Wii/DS combined. Every week I'm staring down at 25-30 new games, and figuring "Do I want to buy a new game I'll play 1-2 times?" It's not that they're bad games, it's that there are many many games I want to play. So, not it's more of a question of "What games do I want to spend my time on?" So, now, when I look at a new game each month, I'm staring down a list of 100 new games plus all the other games I skipped that I still kinda wanna play - some of them with ridiculous discounts. But I'll sooner buy a full priced game I'll actually play than one for 90% off that I might play once or twice at a later date.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

DavidValbu said:

I don't want to sound pesimistic. If Nintendo is realising 9th Pokemon generación this holiday season... It is a huge comercial Megaton for this Christmas, I am afraid this impacts on Zelda Breath of the Wild sequel being pushed to 2023. There is no way I see Nintendo releasing both titles at the end of 2022.

So Cross out from that list Zelda and Mario and Rabbids 2, and you Will find out that this year is not so fantastic.

Pokémon gen 9 releasing this holiday is not impacting their decision to launch Zelda this year. Or do you think Nintendo decided for gen 9 to release this year only last week?

I think this year has very good chances. They will definitely announce even more games throughout the year.