By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Russia and Ukraine flashpoint

SecondWar said:

I find it amusing that Liechtenstein, Monaco & San Marino make the list. I'm sure those microstates are massive threats to a country like Russia.

Well Monaco at least can probably buy Russia at this point.

Around the Network

Ryuu96 said:

Russia's number is obvious nonsense,

Of course they are a nonsense, both sides are lying.

Pentagon estimates Russian casualties so far at 3k and this is mostly propable scenario.

KingofTrolls said:

Ryuu96 said:

Russia's number is obvious nonsense,

Of course they are a nonsense, both sides are lying.

Pentagon estimates Russian casualties so far at 3k and this is mostly propable scenario.

Russia is obviously fake, Ukraine's numbers don't seem realistic, but how the hell would the Pentagon have any idea what the actual number is?  Do we have spy or reporters there counting bodies?

Ryuu96 said:

Okay I found the US source but it is as of February 28th.

But one American official put the Russian losses as of Monday at 2,000, an estimate with which two European officials concurred.

Senior Pentagon officials told lawmakers in closed briefings on Monday that Russian and Ukrainian military deaths appeared to be the same, at around 1,500 on each side in the first five days, congressional officials said. But they cautioned that the figures — based on satellite imagery, communication intercepts, social media and on-the-ground media reports — were estimates.

Russian Casualties Expose a Potential Flaw in Putin’s Strategy - The New York Times

Which gives us.

• Ukraine - Says 11,000 Casualties - March 6th.
  • Russia - Says 2,095 Casualties - March 2nd.
  • US/European Source - 2,000 Casualties - February 28th.
  • Pentagon Officials - 1,500 Deaths - February 28th.

Casualties 2,000 - 11,000.

On february 28, estimate from Ukraine was 5300 casualties.

Which would actually be realist if you take into consideration Russia vastly undercount.

It's also plausible with the 1500 - deaths Pentagon Officials estimated as it didn't counted wounded or captured.

Anyway I'm also skeptical of the 11k casualties but I think the others numbers, the ones related to assets are more accurate as they are easier to keep track of and actually make sense with the struggle Russian portray in this conflict.

Regarding the casualties, something to consider is that the Russians showed up with incinerators to burn bodies. No doubt, they have used those on the dead, and it is in their best interest to lie about how many Russians have died in this war. Not all of the dead are bodies lying around waiting to be counted.

Around the Network
SegaHeart said:

I know this is a gaming website but is Putin hatred that strong about US having another ally? I would be surprised if Putin has an iphone or few disney movies or anything from Microsoft like an Xbox? I know the Russian Citizens like these especially Mcdonalds .I know a few Russians that play Xbox.

Putin hates everybody but himself, and he doesn't want the US or any stronger power competing with him in Russia's vicinity. That doesn't preclude him consuming foreign media.

Hitler and Stalin loved Hollywood movies. Hitler's favorite movie was King Kong, and he was a big Mickey Mouse fan. Stalin allegedly wanted John Wayne assassinated as a threat to Communism... but he was a huge fan of Wayne's movies. 

meanwhile, the Russian ruble lost half its value

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

What I'm thinking about the peace deal offered by Russia is that Russia thinks it can get what it's offering, or slightly less, with force, and that Ukraine thinks it can get a better deal. That, or Russia is seriously bluffing, but I don't think they are because I don't think they're really expecting Ukraine to accept the deal. In other words, both sides seem pretty confident in their ability, at least compared to the options. No signs of the war ending soon. Instead, it seems like Russia thinks it can at least save face (on the home front - almost everything is already lost abroad), so it wants to continue the invasion.

One worrying view from some experts is that Russia could escalate the conflict outside Ukraine to save face. It's a really twisted thought, but it could allow Putin to twist the situation in his favour on the home front.

Zkuq said:

What I'm thinking about the peace deal offered by Russia is that Russia thinks it can get what it's offering, or slightly less, with force, and that Ukraine thinks it can get a better deal. That, or Russia is seriously bluffing, but I don't think they are because I don't think they're really expecting Ukraine to accept the deal. In other words, both sides seem pretty confident in their ability, at least compared to the options. No signs of the war ending soon. Instead, it seems like Russia thinks it can at least save face (on the home front - almost everything is already lost abroad), so it wants to continue the invasion.

One worrying view from some experts is that Russia could escalate the conflict outside Ukraine to save face. It's a really twisted thought, but it could allow Putin to twist the situation in his favour on the home front.

It really is twisted, there are now more signs of Russia extending the invasion to Moldova.

I think it depends on whether Russia can control Kyiv or not, the US says Russia has 100% of its pre-staged forces within Ukraine, so I guess we are heading to the endgame.

May God save Ukraine.

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Russian soldiers are a disgrace. Too much time wasted  killing civillians.
Simple hit on leader and his family was all that was required. Why send 200,000 army for a simple job?

~Thread Banned -Ryuu96

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 07 March 2022