By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Russia and Ukraine flashpoint

fingers crossed the EU will aprrove the oil embargo and find alternatives, it will cost big to Europeans but at least the winter is over, I'd rather live with less rather than support Putin's Russia even to the slightest, any time

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Around the Network
dark_gh0st_b0y said:

fingers crossed the EU will aprrove the oil embargo and find alternatives, it will cost big to Europeans but at least the winter is over, I'd rather live with less rather than support Putin's Russia even to the slightest, any time

I've seen reports that the US are trying to get Saudi Arabia to boost supplies and are even speaking to Venezuela about reducing sanctions to boost their supply. Also seems to be talks around the Iran nuclear deal aimed at getting an agreement to allow for Iran to increase their supply. That might all be for the US market but in the wider geo-politics sense you'd think they may also have their eye on the European market as well, which is far more dependant on Russian oil&gas.

Ryuu96 said:

Still bullshit demands but I notice Russia has backed down on "Demilitarisation" "De-Nazification" and removing Zelenskyy as President, are they starting to feel the heat of sanctions and their army having its ass kicked?

Those are still essentially terms that would equate to of Ukrainian surrender, similar to wars that occurred prior to the world wars. Boiko was the PM under the President deposed during the Euromaiden revolution and essentially would be a Russian stooge. Presumably if Zelensky fired him or opposed him too much that would trigger another war so it would essentially leave Zelensky as a figured head and Boiko as President in all but name. The constitutional amendment to ban joining any block sounded like it included the EU as well.

Over the weekend it is:
+1844+ troops
+13 planes
+31 helicopter
+39 tanks
+12 artillery
+60 personnel carriers
+50 cars
+4 UAV
+5 anti-aircraft

I know those figures might be overplayed by the Ukrainian government to bolter troops moral. But they are still the most accurate figure we could get right now. Also those number are not unlikely giving Russia current logistics issue and the hastiness with which they try to progress while Ukrainians oppose a surprisingly fierce and well organized resistance.

Ryuu96 said:

When Russia recognises Taiwan as a country, oof, China ain't going to like that, Lol.

I find it amusing that Liechtenstein, Monaco & San Marino make the list. I'm sure those microstates are massive threats to a country like Russia.

Around the Network

Do we know if the 11,000 estimate of Russian soldier casualties includes surrenders/AWOLS? If not, I'm curious how many those there are to get an indication of how much less of the invasion force Russia has now than they had initially.

We know the Ukrainians have absolutely received more reinforcements from Ukrainians returning to defend and with the foreign legion to offset their losses drastically.

SegaHeart said:

I know this is a gaming website but is Putin hatred that strong about US having another ally? I would be surprised if Putin has an iphone or few disney movies or anything from Microsoft like an Xbox? I know the Russian Citizens like these especially Mcdonalds .I know a few Russians that play Xbox.

To that effect, have a look at Steam discussion forums for Metro Exodus, Stalker 2, Atomic Heart & This War of Mine. See how gaming communities do not distance themselves from geo-politics.

For context - Metro Exodus and Stalker 2 are developed by 4A Games and GSC Game World, both Ukrainian. Atomic Heart is developed by Mundfish, a Russian studio. This War of Mine was made by a Polish studio who did a promotion to generate funds for Ukrainian refugees.

SegaHeart said:
SecondWar said:

To that effect, have a look at Steam discussion forums for Metro Exodus, Stalker 2, Atomic Heart & This War of Mine. See how gaming communities do not distance themselves from geo-politics.

For context - Metro Exodus and Stalker 2 are developed by 4A Games and GSC Game World, both Ukrainian. Atomic Heart is developed by Mundfish, a Russian studio. This War of Mine was made by a Polish studio who did a promotion to generate funds for Ukrainian refugees.

Atomic Heart is Russian ? Did not see that coming?

I hand't heard of the game until yesterday when i saw a mention of it on the forum for one of the other games.

Dulfite said:

Do we know if the 11,000 estimate of Russian soldier casualties includes surrenders/AWOLS? If not, I'm curious how many those there are to get an indication of how much less of the invasion force Russia has now than they had initially.

We know the Ukrainians have absolutely received more reinforcements from Ukrainians returning to defend and with the foreign legion to offset their losses drastically.

I failed to find a satisfying answer to this but I would guess they include captured, confirmed loss, supposed loss resulting from successful assets destruction.

But all in all it is still fairly certain that there's is now more Russian troops in Ukraine than before as they always commits more of there pre-staged troops as the war progress. As of now it is estimated they have committed 95% (initially it was 30%-35%) of their pre-staged troops (190k total last I Heard). Meaning nearly 10k pre-staged troops have yet to enter Ukraine. All of this mean we are still a few days off before we se an actual decline in Russian troops in Ukraine, and that's only if Russia does not commits more of their 1.1M+ total troops to this conflict. 

Dulfite said:

Do we know if the 11,000 estimate of Russian soldier casualties includes surrenders/AWOLS? 

3.000 casualties is the max possible number. Morever, everything suggests right now that these losses are not bothering Russian invasion force at all ( logistic, BTG movement etc).