By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Russia and Ukraine flashpoint

SecondWar said:
SanAndreasX said:

It looks like Ukraine has agreed to meet with Russia at a location on the Ukraine-Belarus border, and Belarus is holding a constitutional referendum to expand Lukashenko’s powers, which means greater cooperation with Russia.

Russia’s terms are likely to be Ukraine permanently and legally obliges to never join NATO (and possibly the EU) as well as recognising Russian sovereignty over Crimea and the independence of Donbas.

I can’t see Ukraine agreeing, especially to the latter.

Russia's terms are also likely to be that the Ukrainian government agrees to be a puppet government for Moscow like the Belarusian government is.

Around the Network
Hiku said:

I'd like to think that one of Russia's demands won't be to install a puppet government, since that's likely the goal of the invasion, and there's 0 chance of Ukraine accepting that without making Russia work for it.

If so then the negotiations are nothing but PR with no real intention of ending the conflict.
Which is very possible. But it is also possible that Putin really wants to end this before markets open on Monday, and the effect of the economic sanctions will begin to show its real impact.

Of course he does, his government seems to be on increasingly shaky ground. I just hope Zelensky can keep up the fight. I'm sure that Russia's side of the negotiations is going to involve the threat of dire consequences against Ukrainian civilians if Zelensky doesn't comply. If Russia comes up with an awful enough threat that seems credible, Zelensky may feel he has no choice but to agree in order to save lives. Fingers crossed that Ukraine holds the line. If they can, they may end up being the catalyst for Vladimir Putin's downfall.

Fifa has declared that the Russian football team cannot play under their flag, anthem or in Russia. Must play as Russian Football Union - ie the Olympic treatment they’ve been getting.
This is a sorry attempt to dodge the issue. No one saw it as viable in the Olympics and it isn’t suitable here either. Ban them outright.

-Suspend their UEFA and FIFA memberships

-Kick them out of the World Cup qualifiers

-Kick them out of the Nations League

-Kick Spartak Moscow out of the Europa League

Last edited by SecondWar - on 27 February 2022

https://www.westernjournal.com/ghost-kyiv-ukrainian-fighter-pilot-captivates-citizens-gives-hope-nation-russia-invades/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=huckabee

This hasn't been confirmed yet, but there is speculation one sole fighter pilot has taken out at least 6 Russian jets, becoming the first European Ace in many, many years (you have to destroy at least 5 to become an ace). Obviously, death is terrible, but this guy (or multiple guys) is inspiring a lot of Ukrainians. They are calling him the "Ghost of Kyiv."

Ryuu96 said:

Kosovo won't be a NATO member anytime soon.

Around the Network

So upbeat about it, too. Hardcore people.

Ryuu96 said:

Is it still US imperialism when the country wants us there?

NobleTeam360 said:
Ryuu96 said:

Kosovo has it's own struggle for independence, it's not officially a country yet, but gaining more support all the time

So not all that surprising that they want NATO and the US there to secure their status as a country.

NobleTeam360 said:
Ryuu96 said:

In invading Ukraine, Putin has incentivized more people to want to join NATO. Pretty sure that's not the response he wanted to see. 

TallSilhouette said:

So upbeat about it, too. Hardcore people.

I read something where they were discussing adding shredded styrofoam to Molotov cocktails to get the fuel to stick to vehicles better. Might have been here for all I can remember right now.