By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution now on Switch

curl-6 said:
JRPGfan said:

Feels like FSR 2.0 needs a mention.

Here is a full screen shot, compairions tool, between Native 4k, FSR1 and FSR2.

Theres been huge progress, with the new FSR2.
Its much closer to being like DLSS now (in terms of image quality).

Cool; I wonder if 2.0 will be viable on the Switch.

If it is, should result in a further welcome boost to image quality and performance, especially helpful as the Switch ages.

1.0 has already shown some positive results:

It doesnt require any machine learning abilities.
The switch can already use FSR 1.0, and I dont see why I couldn't also make use of FSR 2.0.

Yes it would be a big boost to image quality.
Also AMD, are makeing it useable for anyone (free of charge too I think), so I dont see why switch devs wouldn't.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
JRPGfan said:

Feels like FSR 2.0 needs a mention.

Here is a full screen shot, compairions tool, between Native 4k, FSR1 and FSR2.

Theres been huge progress, with the new FSR2.
Its much closer to being like DLSS now (in terms of image quality).

If it is, should result in a further welcome boost to image quality and performance, especially helpful as the Switch ages.

Even the internal resolution scaler of the game is quite good.

highest settings "cinematic" with 100% scale:

"very high" with 70% scale:

"cinematic" with 100% scale:

"cinematic" with 70% scale:

"high" with 100% scale:

"high" with 70% scale:

Switch:

JRPGfan said:
curl-6 said:

It doesnt require any machine learning abilities.
The switch can already use FSR 1.0, and I dont see why I couldn't also make use of FSR 2.0.

Yes it would be a big boost to image quality.
Also AMD, are makeing it useable for anyone (free of charge too I think), so I dont see why switch devs wouldn't.

Yeah from what I've read it should be hardware agnostic, much like the temporal upsampling already used in other engines like Unreal.

Dying Light on Switch also used a temporal upscaling solution and it pays off well there, with better image quality than a lot of other ports of demanding PS4/Xbone titles.

So yeah, fingers crossed we see FSR 2.0 deployed on the Switch, should really help future games look cleaner and run smoother than they would otherwisde.

Question. Do you guys think fsr would prolong the life of the switch?

I think Nintendo wants it out there as much as possible and break some records. I for one love my switch but I really want a switch 2 already.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:

I think Nintendo wants it out there as much as possible and break some records. I for one love my switch but I really want a switch 2 already.

I don't think FSR will change Nintendo's plans; I think the successor's launch timing is already decided and this tech will simply make future games for the current system look and run a bit better than they would have otherwise.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 20 March 2022

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
eva01beserk said:

I don't think FSR will change Nintendo's plans; I think the successor's launch timing is already decided and this tech will simply make future games for the current system look and run a bit better than they would have otherwise.

I hope Zelda knocks it out the park with fsr. Maybe populate the open world a bit more. Open world games should see the best benefits in my opinion. And if metroid prime ever releases.

But I hope your right. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Now you have me wondering. Perhaps some games that were announced a while ago that have taken an abnormally long time to launch aren't taking so long because of development, but rather they knew FSR 2.0 was coming and wanted to base the games on that. I'm thinking Botw 2 and MP4, not all or even most games announced, but the graphically big ones.

Dulfite said:

Now you have me wondering. Perhaps some games that were announced a while ago that have taken an abnormally long time to launch aren't taking so long because of development, but rather they knew FSR 2.0 was coming and wanted to base the games on that. I'm thinking Botw 2 and MP4, not all or even most games announced, but the graphically big ones.

Would love to see Nintendo make use of this tech, in upcomeing games, like Botw 2.
Sadly I doubt nintendo going to attempt something like that.

Due to FSR 1.0 "balanced" CyberPunk 2077 runs the benchmark with 51 fps average in optimized SteamDeck setting (1280x800, mix of "high" and "ultra").

And the 51 fps average would be higher without the 60-hz frame-limiter.

For smoother frametimes and in favor of battery life, you should of course limit it to 30 fps.