By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Retro Studios Updates Twitter Banner with Samus Silhouette

Tagged games:

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_banners/2864200043/1645121987/1500x500

That color blue seems very striking to me, as I don't feel it represents previous Prime titles.  In fact, it kind of reminds me more of this iconic image palette-wise:

Whatever it signifies, this little image upload is certainly a good sign as Retro Studios is beginning to give us a glimpse into the design and aesthetic of the title.  I know many feel that MP4 is destined to be vaporware, but this small revelation means they are feeling comfortable and confident not only with their progress but also comfortable enough to begin a subtle marketing campaign.

So what do you guys think of the image?  

Around the Network

In the original Prime 4 reveal these clouds were in this color. Finally we're getting closer to the games release.

RolStoppable said:

My only takeaway from the image is that Retro must feel confident that the game's development is going along fine.

Wait... actually, the white border near the edge of the image is reminiscent of Samus's visor, so the silhouette we see is not necessarily Samus, but rather what she sees.

That is a very good observation. Dark Samus?  Or perhaps a view from Sylax's visor?

On the other hand, that aspect ratio is very much a banner aspect ratio and not necessarily a viewing visor.  It's likely just an aesthetic choice.

But yes, the confidence in the project is what I'm seeing as well, which after all this time is a very good thing.

And @Kakadu18, I did consider that as I was writing this up, but considering that that image was created by the former team and in many ways could have no bearing on the eventual project, I decided not to consider it.  But you are right.

RolStoppable said:
super_etecoon said:

That is a very good observation. Dark Samus?  Or perhaps a view from Sylax's visor?

On the other hand, that aspect ratio is very much a banner aspect ratio and not necessarily a viewing visor.  It's likely just an aesthetic choice.

But yes, the confidence in the project is what I'm seeing as well, which after all this time is a very good thing.

I don't mean the rectangular white line, but the one inside it that zigs and zags a little. That's what makes it a visor design.

I think I see the one that you are referring to.  With the vertical hashes crossing the center of the frame?

I hope they expand on her character more. There is more to being a bounty hunter than just the hunt. I want a hub area where she can interact with others, build her and their characters, accept side missions, which lead to cutscenes. I want more world building. I want to actually walk around in her spaceship, to be able to customize it, to be able to fly to other worlds like No Man's Sky.

I don't just want her on one singular mission trying to escape some underground station that's about to blow up.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:

I hope they expand on her character more. There is more to being a bounty hunter than just the hunt. I want a hub area where she can interact with others, build her and their characters, accept side missions, which lead to cutscenes. I want more world building. I want to actually walk around in her spaceship, to be able to customize it, to be able to fly to other worlds like No Man's Sky.

I don't just want her on one singular mission trying to escape some underground station that's about to blow up.

To be honest, I want the opposite. Other series can do these things; they can even do a spinoff for all I care. But I like my Metroid games to be well-designed interlocking worlds where I shoot shit, explore, and drive myself crazy trying to get enough upgrades to arm a mid-sized nation. I personally don't find the world all that interesting, especially when they try to do anything more than hint at things.

I agree. Metroid games to me are about exploration, survival, and just being a badass.  I don’t want nuance of character or motivation. Super Metroid did an amazing job of balancing story and gameplay and that’s the kind of ratio I’d like to see. 

Once Retro sticks the landing on MP4, Nintendo can make whatever kind of Metroid-Craft or Metroid-Effect game they like. But Prime and the regular 2D titles need to keep the core strengths of the series. 

Next year, I tell you.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Metallox said:

Next year, I tell you.

Agreed. Metroid Remake or Trilogy Remaster revealed at E3 (or that time period) with a late Summer early Fall release; but there wil also be a 30 second teaser of MP4 that will steal the show. 

Just noticed this topic. Are we seeing through someone else visor like Sylax? I hope E3 gives us something.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!