By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Retro Studios Updates Twitter Banner with Samus Silhouette

Tagged games:

noname2200 said:
Dulfite said:

I hope they expand on her character more. There is more to being a bounty hunter than just the hunt. I want a hub area where she can interact with others, build her and their characters, accept side missions, which lead to cutscenes. I want more world building. I want to actually walk around in her spaceship, to be able to customize it, to be able to fly to other worlds like No Man's Sky.

I don't just want her on one singular mission trying to escape some underground station that's about to blow up.

To be honest, I want the opposite. Other series can do these things; they can even do a spinoff for all I care. But I like my Metroid games to be well-designed interlocking worlds where I shoot shit, explore, and drive myself crazy trying to get enough upgrades to arm a mid-sized nation. I personally don't find the world all that interesting, especially when they try to do anything more than hint at things.

Agreed. I mean this with no pun. Metroid is best when feeling a sense of dread. Alone. Isolated. Hub area for Metroid is just killing the pacing and what a Metroid should feel like. I would not mind larger areas to explore in ship and on foot but again feeling alone.  Needs that atmosphere.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
Leynos said:

Just noticed this topic. Are we seeing through someone else visor like Sylax? I hope E3 gives us something.

Well, didn't the end of Metroid Prime Hunters hint that the other hunters escaped before Oubliette exploded?

Never finished that game it was such a piece of shit. I just remember the 100% ending of Metroid Prime 3. We see his ship chase after Samus.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I guess that I am more on the pessimistic side but I feel that a Samus canvas for Retro Studio's "We're Hiring" banner is not super impressive in 2022. Firstly, the game is supposed to be 3 years into development, it concerns me that they are doing a big enough hiring campaign to justify something like this on the front page of their website. I would have expected a hiring add like this back in March of 2019 after Nintendo announced that Retro would be leading the project. Secondly, we're 3 years into development, a banner is not enough. We should have had at least a trailer + a follow-up gameplay broadcast of some kind by now. My honest feeling is that the project is probably stalled as of right now and that Retro has made very little firm progress and that they are trying to relaunch development.

That said, let's take this banner as a positive sign that they are indeed trying to relaunch the project and that it will hopefully be successful this time. If that is the case then hopefully we can at least get some kind of teaser trailer before the end of the year and maybe a release in 3 years (which is the minimum amount of time that it will take to develop a AAA game like Prime 4 properly). Once I see a trailer, I will become very excited.

Illusion said:

I guess that I am more on the pessimistic side but I feel that a Samus canvas for Retro Studio's "We're Hiring" banner is not super impressive in 2022. Firstly, the game is supposed to be 3 years into development, it concerns me that they are doing a big enough hiring campaign to justify something like this on the front page of their website. I would have expected a hiring add like this back in March of 2019 after Nintendo announced that Retro would be leading the project. Secondly, we're 3 years into development, a banner is not enough. We should have had at least a trailer + a follow-up gameplay broadcast of some kind by now. My honest feeling is that the project is probably stalled as of right now and that Retro has made very little firm progress and that they are trying to relaunch development.

That said, let's take this banner as a positive sign that they are indeed trying to relaunch the project and that it will hopefully be successful this time. If that is the case then hopefully we can at least get some kind of teaser trailer before the end of the year and maybe a release in 3 years (which is the minimum amount of time that it will take to develop a AAA game like Prime 4 properly). Once I see a trailer, I will become very excited.

Do you think studios only hire at the start of a game's development? No, they constantly hire throughout development. Monolith Soft more than doubled their headcount during the development of Xenoblade Chronicles 3,which btw has been in development for a longer time than Metroid Prime 4 is now.

They restarted three years ago. There is zero evidence that they restarted again. Nintendo only shows their games when they're ready and close to launch with only Zelda being an exception. The game being three years into development doesn't mean they are obligated to show gameplay and nothing about these hirings suggests that the development is having issues.

The very existence of this banner in public on it's own should have quenched any and all of these feelings that the project is in jeopardy. They will not show a trailer if the game is still 3 years off. They might rereveal the game this year if it's releasing next year though.

I don't get why you're worried nor why you think we should have gotten gameplay by now.

Kakadu18 said:

Do you think studios only hire at the start of a game's development? No, they constantly hire throughout development. Monolith Soft more than doubled their headcount during the development of Xenoblade Chronicles 3,which btw has been in development for a longer time than Metroid Prime 4 is now.

They restarted three years ago. There is zero evidence that they restarted again. Nintendo only shows their games when they're ready and close to launch with only Zelda being an exception. The game being three years into development doesn't mean they are obligated to show gameplay and nothing about these hirings suggests that the development is having issues.

The very existence of this banner in public on it's own should have quenched any and all of these feelings that the project is in jeopardy. They will not show a trailer if the game is still 3 years off. They might rereveal the game this year if it's releasing next year though.

I don't get why you're worried nor why you think we should have gotten gameplay by now.

If we were talking about a studio that has a proven recent track-record like Monolith then I would not be as worried about a 3 year drought with no news about their most highly anticipated project.  In the last 10 years, the only thing that Retro has managed to produce is a 2D Donkey Kong sidescroller and that is compared to their previous 10 years where the company produced the Metroid Prime trilogy as well as a DK game on the Wii.  I think that it is very likely that Retro has had numerous setbacks in the last decade and that is not the same studio that it was in the 2000's.

Keep in mind that Monolith is a company that has numerous projects on the go with multiple studios.  As far as I know, the only thing that Retro is working on right now is Prime 4.  They hired a couple top engineers a few weeks ago and now with this new posting it is pretty clear that these hires are for the Prime 4 project.  I mean, it's really good news that that project is still being worked on and is obviously being given significant attention.  That said, large-scale hiring means either means expansion of the studio or replacement of lost talent which could be a symptom of issues on the project.  I admit that I don't know which one of these it is, I am hoping for the former but I am bracing myself for the latter.  I have been following Retro very closely since 2015 and while I have by no means given up on them, I have learned to guard my expectations a bit.  I just don't want people to get their hopes up too high with speculation.

Around the Network
Illusion said:
Kakadu18 said:

If we were talking about a studio that has a proven recent track-record like Monolith then I would not be as worried about a 3 year drought with no news about their most highly anticipated project.  In the last 10 years, the only thing that Retro has managed to produce is a 2D Donkey Kong sidescroller and that is compared to their previous 10 years where the company produced the Metroid Prime trilogy as well as a DK game on the Wii.  I think that it is very likely that Retro has had numerous setbacks in the last decade and that is not the same studio that it was in the 2000's.

Keep in mind that Monolith is a company that has numerous projects on the go with multiple studios.  As far as I know, the only thing that Retro is working on right now is Prime 4.  They hired a couple top engineers a few weeks ago and now with this new posting it is pretty clear that these hires are for the Prime 4 project.  I mean, it's really good news that that project is still being worked on and is obviously being given significant attention.  That said, large-scale hiring means either means expansion of the studio or replacement of lost talent which could be a symptom of issues on the project.  I admit that I don't know which one of these it is, I am hoping for the former but I am bracing myself for the latter.  I have been following Retro very closely since 2015 and while I have by no means given up on them, I have learned to guard my expectations a bit.  I just don't want people to get their hopes up too high with speculation.

1) Pretty sure Monolith Soft is bigger than Retro, so you can't really compare their production output fairly.

2) It has been reported for years now that Retro had another game in the works that was cancelled mid development. Based on their output, it's safe to say this was a AAA game and not something AA like 2d DK. We could still end up seeing this at some point down the line or not.

3) This is just a hunch, but I'd guess they've been working on some other things too, smaller budget, that we could see shortly after MP4.

4) It's also possible Nintendo wants MP4 to be the visual peak for Switch, making it take longer, but again it's only been developed by them for 3 years and most AAA games take 4-6 years to make. What Bamco did before them was entirely scratched and thrown away.

5) Employees come and go in any industry. Hires aren't necessarily for new positions: could be people getting a better offer, retiring, swapping careers, having kids, wanting to relocate, etc.

Dulfite said:

1) Pretty sure Monolith Soft is bigger than Retro, so you can't really compare their production output fairly.

2) It has been reported for years now that Retro had another game in the works that was cancelled mid development. Based on their output, it's safe to say this was a AAA game and not something AA like 2d DK. We could still end up seeing this at some point down the line or not.

3) This is just a hunch, but I'd guess they've been working on some other things too, smaller budget, that we could see shortly after MP4.

4) It's also possible Nintendo wants MP4 to be the visual peak for Switch, making it take longer, but again it's only been developed by them for 3 years and most AAA games take 4-6 years to make. What Bamco did before them was entirely scratched and thrown away.

5) Employees come and go in any industry. Hires aren't necessarily for new positions: could be people getting a better offer, retiring, swapping careers, having kids, wanting to relocate, etc.

For the record, I hope that you're right.  I am not in any way cheering for Retro to fail.  I want nothing more than to watch gameplay of MP4 for the first time and get that same incredible rush that I had after I popped Metroid Prime into my Gamecube after opening it under my family's Christmas tree in 2002.

Facebook Page updated as well. At this point I’m sure all of their social media accounts will update to the same image.

Good thing retro is finally doing something. They haven't really done much in the past few years have they? Seems almost like rare after MS took them over.

sethnintendo said:

Good thing retro is finally doing something. They haven't really done much in the past few years have they? Seems almost like rare after MS took them over.

That is really weird. I mean, after they were done with the Metroid Prime Trilogy, they went to Donkey Kong Country Returns in 2010, to Mario Kart 7 in 2011, then to DKC Tropical Freeze in 2014. Then there was a 4 year gap where there was nothing besides the Tropical Freeze port to Switch. What were they doing during those 4 years? Definitely didn't take that long to work on the Switch port despite adding the Funky Kong mode. 

They had to have been working on another game that was going through development hell or just cancelled halfway through development. Because they couldn't have just been sitting down doing nothing for years until they were handed Metroid Prime 4 in 2019.