By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo acquering studios

RolStoppable said:

The biggest catch with studio acquisitions is that you might only buy the shell of a company, because it isn't uncommon for the talent to leave the studio after an acquisition. There's a reason why Sony set aside $1.2 billion in bonuses for Bungie employees that will be paid out over the course of the next few years, but the question remains what all these people will do once they've received their payout.

Nintendo's acquisitions have fallen in one of two categories:

1. Studios that have worked exclusively for Nintendo on multiple games in a row, such as ND Cube and Next Level games.
2. Studios that nobody else believes in and as a result are very cheap to obtain. Retro Studios is such an example.

The fundamental requirement is that the employees of a studio want to work exclusively with Nintendo, but typically even studios that Nintendo has worked with multiple times want to maintain their independence, so Nintendo does not go for an acquisition.

Platinum Games is a popular mention in this thread, but when you consider that they want to retain freedom even after an acquisition, they aren't a realistic option for Nintendo. That's why we see Nintendo engaging in a lot of collaborations where both parties benefit, but ultimately are free to go their own way after the project has been completed. There's basically one Warriors team of Koei-Tecmo who has been doing nothing but make Nintendo Warriors games for almost a decade now, but that doesn't mean that Nintendo needs to acquire it.

I' agree with those 2 points you mention, but axquire the Warrior team from Koei seems pretty un realistic i guess

Based in that 2 points I think the first reasonable move is to acquire Grezzo. They did the 3ds remakes for Zelda OoT and Zelda MM also a new IP like Ever Oasis exclusive on 3ds. And the loved remake of Links Awakening for the Switch

There's a thing nobody says and maybe is a good question to talk about... Nintendo has HAL Laboratory and Intelligent systems as internal developers but in the paper these 2 are second party. Should Nintendo make a move and make them 1st party??

Around the Network
Arfen said:

Do you think these studios would fit in? What are your options?

Seeing your avatar:

They should have bought and saved CING.

Arfen said:
RolStoppable said:

The biggest catch with studio acquisitions is that you might only buy the shell of a company, because it isn't uncommon for the talent to leave the studio after an acquisition. There's a reason why Sony set aside $1.2 billion in bonuses for Bungie employees that will be paid out over the course of the next few years, but the question remains what all these people will do once they've received their payout.

Nintendo's acquisitions have fallen in one of two categories:

1. Studios that have worked exclusively for Nintendo on multiple games in a row, such as ND Cube and Next Level games.
2. Studios that nobody else believes in and as a result are very cheap to obtain. Retro Studios is such an example.

The fundamental requirement is that the employees of a studio want to work exclusively with Nintendo, but typically even studios that Nintendo has worked with multiple times want to maintain their independence, so Nintendo does not go for an acquisition.

Platinum Games is a popular mention in this thread, but when you consider that they want to retain freedom even after an acquisition, they aren't a realistic option for Nintendo. That's why we see Nintendo engaging in a lot of collaborations where both parties benefit, but ultimately are free to go their own way after the project has been completed. There's basically one Warriors team of Koei-Tecmo who has been doing nothing but make Nintendo Warriors games for almost a decade now, but that doesn't mean that Nintendo needs to acquire it.

I' agree with those 2 points you mention, but axquire the Warrior team from Koei seems pretty un realistic i guess

Based in that 2 points I think the first reasonable move is to acquire Grezzo. They did the 3ds remakes for Zelda OoT and Zelda MM also a new IP like Ever Oasis exclusive on 3ds. And the loved remake of Links Awakening for the Switch

There's a thing nobody says and maybe is a good question to talk about... Nintendo has HAL Laboratory and Intelligent systems as internal developers but in the paper these 2 are second party. Should Nintendo make a move and make them 1st party??

Both are technically separate companies but are tied so closely to Nintendo that they might as well be first party, wouldn't make much of a difference.

I would love Image & Form

Nintendo should buy Microsoft in the most highly leveraged deal in the history of mankind.

Around the Network
Conina said:
Arfen said:

Do you think these studios would fit in? What are your options?

Seeing your avatar:

They should have bought and saved CING.

Not often people recognize my avatar. Good to see still theres someone remembering it ;)

Yes Cing clousure was hard to see and Nintendo was able to fix it but no... Nintendo is very hermetic and had an arrogant past also.... was a shame

Kakadu18 said:
Arfen said:

Both are technically separate companies but are tied so closely to Nintendo that they might as well be first party, wouldn't make much of a difference.

the difference is that technically someone can buy them and leave Nintendo side... maybe is hard to imagine that happening but not impossible

VAMatt said:

Nintendo should buy Microsoft in the most highly leveraged deal in the history of mankind.

If inflation continues for a few years, the money spent today might actually be a pretty good deal with low interest rates.  I think Japan still has negative interest rates these days?  Kidding of course, but with low interest rates and high inflation Microsoft and companies with a lot of cash are deciding now is the time to buy companies and Nintendo might be wise to pick up a few.

Arfen said:
Kakadu18 said:

the difference is that technically someone can buy them and leave Nintendo side... maybe is hard to imagine that happening but not impossible

Technically that can happen but they would need to agree to be bought, so very unlikely.

Nintendo can try something more innovative than acquiring studios like Sony and MS.