By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo acquering studios

hinch said:

I hope they look into PlatinumGames. They have some real talent though there has been some development hell from them the last few years, I feel that both Nintendo and PG would mutually benefit, if they went first party. They seem to be struggling to get deals to make high profile games the last generation or two so though know how to make good games. They just need good direction.

Platinum Games is a candy in many people eyes. They have a special taste for action games but the direction they want to take (games as service) I don't think would fit in Nintendo plans

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
Arfen said:

Don't you think Yo-kai, Inazuma, and also Ni No Kuni, Layton.. can turn again a succes in the appropite hands

And if not in games Level 5 IPs has been well recieved as manga-animes and this can be a point in Nintendo plans to expand to other areas

I think they can be successful again, but only with better management that doesn't think every game needs to be released together with an anime to be successful.

Level 5 did wrong cause they take a IP and release multiple games in a short time, extra manga or anime... theyselves has burned his games... But maybe in Nintendo hands and having a reestructure can do something good again

Arfen said:
hinch said:

I hope they look into PlatinumGames. They have some real talent though there has been some development hell from them the last few years, I feel that both Nintendo and PG would mutually benefit, if they went first party. They seem to be struggling to get deals to make high profile games the last generation or two so though know how to make good games. They just need good direction.

Platinum Games is a candy in many people eyes. They have a special taste for action games but the direction they want to take (games as service) I don't think would fit in Nintendo plans

I mean that could also work for Nintendo as well seeing as GaaS or live games are growing more and more in popularity. But also that they have worked with them closely in the past and have their knowledge in action orientated games like Bayonetta, Neir, Astral Chain, Wonderful 101 as well as VanQuish would make them a great asset to EPD. Though you can tell from their recent games that they haven't been getting much love from big publishers outside of Nintendo. I kinda feel like if they aren't they might even disappear without financial backup from a major publisher and what better than Nintendo.

I did read an article reading that they are open to be acquired, though with the caveat want to keep their creative freedom - which may prove to be a issue more than anything.

Just Platinum. Not into the buy out war. But Platinum would make sense.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I'd rather they just put together a couple more teams to keep game output high, rather than acquire other studios.

Around the Network

Platinum games comes to mind. They have a history working with Nintendo, and they even created a new IP together. Out of all possibilities, this one makes the most sense as it also seems they are actually looking to be aquired.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

I think only buy if there is a need to. Platinum Games would be good if it appeared like someone was going to buy them out also.

Nintendo need to maintain their 2nd party IPs on their system. Loose Rare was a huge loss. Maybe the talent left the studio but at the end of the day IP is what matter. So many great IPs they had that Nintendo should have secured. Don't really want to loose the little that they have now.

Nintendo would really benefit from another western studio like what they had with Rare. Retro Studios was pretty obviously supposed to fill this gap, but it hasn't worked out. In my opinion, they should really just try to make Retro Studios into a AAA developer again and do what is necessary to bring back the top talent instead of buying a completely new studio. I am honestly not sure what is going on at Retro, somebody on this board said once that they have gotten too comfy spending their days eating Texas BBQ and I am starting to agree with them. Nintendo really loosened the whip with Retro after Metroid Prime 1's development which reportedly almost caused mass anxiety attacks but I think that Nintendo overcompensated here because the productivity at the studio appears to be practically nonexistent now. I would hate for Nintendo to buy another western studio and have this happen all over again. There are a lot of western developers out there who I am sure would give their right arm to work on the next Nintendo masterpiece, Nintendo just needs to give the studio the attention that it needs and ensure that it is being well-managed (which I am sure is easier said then done with the language, time-zone and cultural differences). That said, I would say that this is a more fundamental challenge for Nintendo to address than figuring out which studio to acquire, at least when it comes to western studios.

Slownenberg said:

I'd rather they just put together a couple more teams to keep game output high, rather than acquire other studios.

It seems like that is exactly what they are planning to do.

They have recently provided significant funding to Forever entertainment