By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IDK what to feel about Amico, Tommy CEO steps down and a controversel CEO steps in

Amico was pretty much DOA, and this just further proves it. At this point, it's too late in almost any case for Tommy or any one else to turn this around. If the Amico ever releases, it would be lucky to hit 1 million units.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

An Evercade Vs does everything Amico promised and is only $99 is on sale now at Amazon. I'm tired of long-winded posts about this scam, talked about this shit to death on other forums. It's not that there is one thing wrong with Amico. Everything is wrong with Amico. Top to bottom. They did nothing right and it was a stupid idea in the first place.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Amico's price tag was always going to be too high for that family entertainment impulse buy that Intellivision Entertainment claimed they were going after.  Now that their most recent SEC filing released information that $100 of every Amico sold was going to be paid to Sudesh Aggarwal until his $810,000 loan was repaid, it finally makes sense for why the Amico went from originally targeting a $149-$179 pricepoint and then ballooned to a $249 price that was well over the cost of its parts.  The Amico was in trouble well before IE changed CEO's.  For the Amico to have ever had the remotest chance of succeeding, it needed to come out 2 years ago and at a low price.  During the pandemic when families were isolating at home and while Sony and Microsoft have been struggling to get sufficient numbers of their latest consoles out, this could have been an option for some people.  Unfortunately, it has been so mishandled from start to finish that it has more than likely missed its best window for even niche success.  In the SEC filing they stated they will need 2 more investment rounds of $5 million each just to keep the lights on for another 7-9 months, but they don't even have 1 finished console after over 2 years of fundraising accruing $7-9 million in debt.  Yeah, this was completely mismanaged from the very beginning and the warning signs were there for anyone who was actually looking.

Wman1996 said:

Amico was pretty much DOA, and this just further proves it. At this point, it's too late in almost any case for Tommy or any one else to turn this around. If the Amico ever releases, it would be lucky to hit 1 million units.

The Ouya sold less than 200,000 units, and had way more hype behind it.  I think 1 million units was beyond their best-case scenario if they had done everything perfectly from announcement to launch.  At this point, they'll be lucky to get their pre-ordered founders editions out.  And then if they are really lucky, maybe sell another few thousand through Gamestop and Best Buy (Canada - because they aren't even listed on Best Buy's US site).

CaptainExplosion said:

Didn't watch the video, so tell me long story short why we hate Phil Adams?

Coleco Chameleon. Scam artist.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

It wasn't a good idea to begin with. In its heyday, Intellivision sold 3 million consoles. There wasn't a lot of nostalgia for it in the same way there wasn't a lot of nostalgia for the Odyssey2 or the Bally Astrocade. Tallarico wanted to take a chance on the brand name, but the already shaky fundamentals of his plan were derailed by the supply chain disruptions. Tallarico's frequent online gaffes didn't help matters, any.

Even if the whole business itself hadn't been a raging garbage fire, I don't see how the Intellivision could have been a success. The Ouya sold 250,000 units despite the fact that Julie Uhrman hyped Ouya to the moon and back. Tallarico didn't have anywhere near that level of hype.

Darn, it would be great if Tommy took this opportunity to join up with Victor Lucas again on Electric Playground/Reviews on the Run. I used to watch that show so much as a kid, it was basically the only decent video game show on basic cable in the late 90's and early 2000's. Frankly, I was disappointed when Tommy became a CEO, I think that his edgy personality really is best suited to be in front of a camera exchanging jabs with someone or doing video games live concerts, not a corporate suite off in an office somewhere.

Lets face it the Amico was always going to be DOA. Its an overpriced smartphone that plays cheap 'remakes' of old classic games and only serves as a very small niche for people's nostalgia for Intellivison and their games.

The console itself only has inhouse (and very simplistic) retro style games that would not look out of place from games in the 2000's made in flash. Heck phones have more advanced games on iOS and Android for decades and are light years ahead of it. And to make things worse it that its priced the same as an Xbox Series S and costs more than a PS4 and Switch Lite. On top of that when they were advertising their games, they were spotted using assets literally copy and pasted and stolen from other games and when they caught out.. they said they were placeholders (lol).

Then you have Tommy, who always came across as super defensive character when coming to discussions about the console and interviews which doesn't help at all. In any case this was always a disaster in the making..

But yeah let this be a lesson to those who do invest in crowd funders. Most don't even see the light of day.

Last edited by hinch - on 16 February 2022