By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - First Look at Amazon's LOTR: The Rings of Power

I'm cautious.
It's easy to be concerned with the wildly varying quality of shows today. The Witcher kind of has me woried for shows like this.
But it's also hard to judge the quality of a show by just a few photograph. Post-processing and seeing things in motion will make it look quite different.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

It doesn't look great. Amazon is either ignorant of the lore, or purposefully ignoring parts of it, most likely the latter. Even disregarding the fact that we have a black elf and black dwarf, which I'm like 99% sure doesn't match Tolkien lore, we have a dwarf female with no beard there in female clothing. Here is what Tolkien himself said about female dwarves in The War of the Jewels: "No Man nor Elf has ever seen a beardless Dwarf - unless they were shaven in mockery, and that would be more like to die of shame....For the Maugrim have beards from the beginning of their lives, male and female alike." It is also said elsewhere in Tolkien's writings that female dwarves are rarely seen outside their halls, and when they are seen, it is almost always in male clothing.

She does have a beard though, I think.. looks like chops.

Picture taken from Reddit.

Ryuu96 said:

Also, I actually forgot about this one, Galadriel punting Sauron's bitch ass back to the shadow realm.

Galadriel: starts speaking in a deep echoey voice

Sauron: Understandable, have a nice day

Ryuu96 said:
Angelus said:

Idk how I feel about the idea of a sort of traditional warrior style Galadriel...the image of her as some kind of armored up blademaster just seems off to me.

Granted, idk jack shit about her pre-LOTR trilogy, but she just always comes across as such a higher character if you will...like, she should be directing events/battles from behind/above the scenes, maybe occasionally laying the magical scmackdown on somebody actually fool enough to fuck with her. The idea of her being some frontline soldier or whatever is weird.

Other than that, these shots don't really tell me much. We got the standard cast diversification stuff...whatever. Don't care. As long the cast are good actors, it makes precious little difference to me. The real question is whether or not the writers have done a good job, and that's ultimately what this show will live and die on. We all known they're gonna spend the money. The IP is going to guarantee you the eyes of the world for at least a couple of episodes, if not the whole first season. But will your writers do it justice? Honestly, press X to doubt, but please go ahead and pleasantly surprise me.

Well, she did lead an attack on a Sauron stronghold once before and we know she can kick ass not just magically but with blades too.

In fairness, a lot of the 1st age and 2nd age is missing, there's not exactly a book telling of the entire events and Galadriel is like thousands of years old, Lol. We're piecing stuff together, excerpts and stories, which Tolkien was adjusting even up to his death, it's hard to stay true to a book which doesn't really exist, they can only build off the lore as a lot of stories and arcs were left unfinished.

So I think it wouldn't be too much of a stretch given her power to say that Galadriel did experience combat first hand more than we know, the character we know her as is this noble highborn in her castle but there's thousands of years between the events of Lord of the Rings show and the Galadriel was saw in the films. 

Yea, like I said, I don't know much of anything about her character outside of the movie timeline. She's just such an ethereal character, that has always struck me as kind of this cunning chessmaster type, setting the scene for events to unfold as they should. Seeing her in full armor, wielding a sword, to me, would be akin to seeing Wesley Snipes' Blade walking around in a business suit. Just doesn't compute lol.

Looks a bit too much like The Witcher. I will still watch it, but with expectations low.

Around the Network

Galadriel being a battlemage is exactly what I would expect her to be when she was young running around kicking ass and taking names. Its pretty much how Tolkien created his magic based characters. They only use magic against magic but the majority of the time, they are taking heads with mundane weapons just like Gandolf.

Leynos said:

Something about it looks cheap.

It's because the pictures are hyper HD, it looks like a Christmas catalogue :D

Anyway, by the descriptions, it seems that the story is going to take place at the middle of the Second Age, around the time when Sauron is Annatar. So the battle for Eregion and the closing of Moria (Khazad-Dum).

I could be wrong, but we'll see.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I'm really looking forward to this show. I was really excited about the Witcher and the wheel of time and was kind of disappointing so I hope this one delivers. I need a new good fantasy show to dive in. 

Last edited by Fuchigole - on 10 February 2022

Ryuu96 said:
Jumpin said:

It's because the pictures are hyper HD, it looks like a Christmas catalogue :D

Anyway, by the descriptions, it seems that the story is going to take place at the middle of the Second Age, around the time when Sauron is Annatar. So the battle for Eregion and the closing of Moria (Khazad-Dum).

I could be wrong, but we'll see.

You're right, Sauron is in the show too.

They've confirmed it is set in the 2nd age too, Numenor is also confirmed so I imagine we will see the Fall of Numenor, a rough idea of where we can expect the show to start, Lol.

Surely those are the Two Trees of Valinor though...So maybe some 1st age flashbacks as well.

Around the fall of Numenor would be about 1500 years later.

What I'm thinking is this story will take place surrounding the forging of the rings of power. They could do a time jump at some point since many of the characters are immortal.

Elrond would have had his romantic arc with Celebrian around the time of the sack of Eregion. Also, Galadriel would have been militarily involved around this time too. Numenor comes in at the end to save the day.

Another option is to go the anthology route.

I'd love to see Silmarillion retold at some point. Most of the main events take place in the last 150 years of the first age starting with the Battle of the Sudden Flame. But part of the story would have to take place with the fleeing of Aredhel from Gondolin, because Maeglin factors into the main story - and that's before the Battle of the Sudden Flame. Although, Feanor's story, Ungoliant, and Morgoth would make for an interesting episode. They'd definitely have to reshape the main story, making one of the Elves that survives the age a main character - probably Maglor or Maedhros, Galadriel would be a potential since she's "off screen" most of the time in the books, but present for a lot of the events. What shows have been doing now to fairly big success is having multiple starting points in a timeline, so they can tell different parts of the story from different parts of the history while weaving the story. It wouldn't be an easy adaptation, but with enough planning, it's doable. And I want to see it!

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I'm definitely intrigued by the show. Most of the complaints about it so far feel very shallow and generally just come off as knee-jerk reactions to superficial aspects of the show. I would say I'm cautiously optimistic right now.