Way too big, who wants to play an anvil? 19 27.14%

Bad design but still cool idea 17 24.29%

Maybe a Steam Deck Mini w... 3 4.29%

Does it come with a wireless gamepad? lol 1 1.43%

I'll just play it on my c... 0 0%

It's huge but still looking forward to it 11 15.71%

You're crazy it looks awesome 19 27.14%

Total:70

Yes but lets not forget how innovative the WiiU gamepad was...

Around the Network

Its size is still small enough to where it'll work way better in places like a train than a laptop so while it won't work as well as the Switch for a laying in bed or on a couch experience it's still great for people who travel and would like a more powerful handheld and/or the ability to play games that aren't on the Switch on the go.

aTokenYeti said:

I think we are still probably 3-4 years from handheld PC type devices being actually good. The performance on the Steam Deck is in a good spot, but the size is prohibitive.

I would like to see Sony and Microsoft try to get involved with this market at some point in the future. The concept is great, just needs a bit more time to mature in technology

I wouldn't be surprised to see XB market a first party portable (xcloud) game streaming device.  I'm sure there are people that would like a screen larger than their phone with an integrated controller. 

refutableport said:

Yes but lets not forget how innovative the WiiU gamepad was...

The Wii U gamepad looked outdated to me on the day it launched.  Ipads were on the scene, and then there was the Wii U gamepad that looked like it came straight out of 2002.  I feel similarly about the Steam Deck.  It just isn't on trend, design wise, with current portable tech.  Devices right now are sleek.  The Steam Deck is the opposite of that.  

I would buy it if it was smaller and less powerful. I don't really need to play Cyberpunk on the go but I would love to have a portable console with the massive catalogue and better prices of Steam.

Around the Network

I think it looks fine.

Behold the Steam Deck's target audience.

Captain_Yuri said:

I'd watch reviews before jumping to conclusions. While I agree that it's quite big compared to the switch, the switch itself isn't exactly pocket-able unless you have some really big pockets. So as far as portability goes, I think both requires a similar method of transportation through a carrying case (which the Deck comes with) or putting it in a backpack. The biggest issue the Steam Deck really has isn't it's size but rather it's weight as that is it's biggest weakness against the switch.

As for the button placement and such, from virtually every hands on reviews that I have seen, they all praised it. So before claiming the layout is poorly designed, I'd watch some hands on previews.

They hand around those Famitsu sales threads and are basing their entire opinion on the whole system by it's looks, I'd say the conclusions have jumped the shark and that it's gonna be a doo-doo, because it's bigger than the Wii U pad.

Meanwhile, I've been waiting years for a device that's nowhere near as finnicky and over expensive as a GDPW, but at the same time, not as underpowered as the Siwitch (also no horrid joycon drift and expensive joycon prices).

Besides Switch being a portable device, it hardly fits in my pocket and looks goofy even if I managed to cram it in there. It's still a device that needs it's own carry case, one that even the Deck will have.

I would def agree that the overall weight of the device could be an issue. 

Overall takes on handling the device have been rather positive, and the first batch was practically sold out. I don't think the device is going to do as poorly as OP is suggesting. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
Captain_Yuri said:

I'd watch reviews before jumping to conclusions. While I agree that it's quite big compared to the switch, the switch itself isn't exactly pocket-able unless you have some really big pockets. So as far as portability goes, I think both requires a similar method of transportation through a carrying case (which the Deck comes with) or putting it in a backpack. The biggest issue the Steam Deck really has isn't it's size but rather it's weight as that is it's biggest weakness against the switch.

As for the button placement and such, from virtually every hands on reviews that I have seen, they all praised it. So before claiming the layout is poorly designed, I'd watch some hands on previews.

They hand around those Famitsu sales threads and are basing their entire opinion on the whole system by it's looks, I'd say the conclusions have jumped the shark and that it's gonna be a doo-doo, because it's bigger than the Wii U pad.

Meanwhile, I've been waiting years for a device that's nowhere near as finnicky and over expensive as a GDPW, but at the same time, not as underpowered as the Siwitch (also no horrid joycon drift and expensive joycon prices).

Besides Switch being a portable device, it hardly fits in my pocket and looks goofy even if I managed to cram it in there. It's still a device that needs it's own carry case, one that even the Deck will have.

Overall takes on handling the device have been rather positive, and the first batch was practically sold out. I don't think the device is going to do as poorly as OP is suggesting. 

It reminds me of some of the switch haters back in the day. When Nintendo moved from 3ds which was genuinely portable to the Switch, some people said it oh it's not portable enough to be a success. It's too big and heavy to appeal to the masses like the wiiU gamepad. Who wants a switch when you can have an ipad instead? Mobile gaming is the future! And the list goes on.

Now I am not saying the Deck will be anywhere near as successful. Hell it's not even being sold outside of the Steam store and it's only coming out in a few regions. But some of the arm-chair expert opinions based on pictures who haven't even watch legitimate hands on previews of which there are plenty of is quite frankly, hilarious.

I personally use a carrying case cause with Joycon drift, putting the switch in my pocket would probably increase the chances of that significantly.

Last edited by Jizz_Beard_thePirate - on 05 February 2022

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Chazore said:
Captain_Yuri said:

The Switch fits pretty easily in most of my pants pockets. I don't think my pockets are exceptionally large. If it doesn't, then the Joycons slide off and you could make it work. And, there's the Switch Lite as well. 

We don't really need to wait for reviews, because it's a PC. We know what it is and what it does. Even assuming it could run most steam games well, I struggle to see the market for this thing. Its advantages over a gaming PC would be price and portability, and with portability being a pretty marginal improvement, it seems like the market would be pretty small.