Bad design but still cool idea 17 24.29%

Maybe a Steam Deck Mini w... 3 4.29%

Does it come with a wireless gamepad? lol 1 1.43%

I'll just play it on my c... 0 0%

It's huge but still looking forward to it 11 15.71%

You're crazy it looks awesome 19 27.14%

Total:70

Not much bigger than a Switch with Hori Split Pad Pro:

Since the Switch with Split Pad Pro controllers is so much more comfortable in my hands than the Switch with Joy-Cons I'm looking forward to the Steam Deck form factor with enough grip for the palms of adult's hands.

Last edited by Conina - on 05 February 2022

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:

So I had until today been thinking the Steam Deck would be the Switch for PC gaming. Then I saw this twitter thread:

It shows size comparison of Steam Deck versus many portable systems. And my god the thing looks terrible. Switch was pushing the size limit for what a portable can be, I can't imagine wanting to play anything much larger than it, and the Steam Deck makes the Switch look tiny.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a larger size.

I have big hands, so it's not an issue, the Switch's Joycons are a little small for me... Hence I never use it in portable mode.

The thing with the Steam Deck... It's not replacing consoles, it's just an extension of the Steam Ecosystem and PC gaming, it's unlikely to sell 50 million units or compete with the Switch.

the-pi-guy said:

It might be big, but as far as I'm aware previews have been very good.

It's not going to fit in your pocket, but doesn't mean it won't be a good device.

To be fair, the Switch doesn't fit in your pockets either... Unless you are wearing baggy pants from the 90's that are 10x sizes to big, that you hold up with one hand, with pockets that stretch to China.

But that is okay. Just chuck it into a backpack I guess.

BasilZero said:

The design looks fine.

But I dont think I'll be getting one myself anytime soon - rather get a gaming laptop instead - use the money that a Steam deck costs into it.

Need a new gaming laptop either ways since my current one is from 2014 (which I use as a general use laptop nowadays since I use my gaming desktop as my primary PC gaming device).

Yeah. I am just waiting on LPDDR5x/DDR5 laptops and next-gen mobile Ryzen before I upgrade my current Ryzen 2700u and 4700u notebooks... Should last me a year or two.

I don't spend big on notebooks due to how infrequently I use them, so I am happy running from decent integrated graphics and gaming at 720P for a few hours once in a blue moon.

VAMatt said:
refutableport said:

Yes but lets not forget how innovative the WiiU gamepad was...

The Wii U gamepad looked outdated to me on the day it launched.  Ipads were on the scene, and then there was the Wii U gamepad that looked like it came straight out of 2002.  I feel similarly about the Steam Deck.  It just isn't on trend, design wise, with current portable tech.  Devices right now are sleek.  The Steam Deck is the opposite of that.  

This. The WiiU's display was small, bad quality and low resolution. The pad was big.

I didn't mind the ergonomics of it though, happily completed breath of the wild on it... But didn't use the handheld screen at all.

BasilZero said:

Same, I've never put my Switch in my pocket. I got myself a carrying case as well.

I have two carrying cases (one that came with a traveling bag).

I really wish they had a PDP Breath of the Wild backpack in the same style... Not keen on having a hand bag/messenger bag.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Conina said:

Not much bigger than a Switch with Hori Split Pad Pro:

Uhhh... maybe, but if I was looking to carry my Switch around with me, I wouldn't be using that. 

Yes, it's on the large side. But I don't think that will hurt sales, because I don't think the target audience will care that much. Unless this is going to be stocked in Walmart and Target and sold like a traditional sort of thing, I don't see it as that big a deal (pun intended).

Right, I think some people are thinking of the Steam Deck as a platform in itself. I see it as a model of handheld mini-PC that aims for portability without compromising too much in terms of gaming performance. Like other PC models, it will probably have yearly (or biyearly) revisions and improvements. Its competitors aren't the Switch, but other handheld mini-PCs -- and there it is competitive on a price/compatibility basis. The new Aya Neo Next will cost $1300 - $1,500, whereas the topline Steam Deck model costs $649. Of course the Aya Neo Next will have better build quality and specs, but if you are somebody who wants a handheld mini-PC for a cheaper price the Steam Deck is a really good deal.

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
rapsuperstar31 said:

After the Wii U failures the doubters of the Switch were justified.  I buy every Nintendo console so I would have bought it even if it failed but I don't have a problem with anyone that doubted the Switch.  Valve failed with the steam machines so having some doubt for the Steamdeck is fine as well.  Lets hope the machine rocks and does well.

Having doubts is fine. But criticizing a product without doing research is not.

Kakadu18 said:

I don't need to see hands on previews to know that the battery life would be an issue to me and even more so the weight.

It might sell one or two million units, maybe even more, but regardless there's still a ceiling to a product like this. It's not a console, it's a PC.

But how do you know what it's battery life would be without watching any reviews/previews?

You do know PCs sell a ton of units right? Have you ever looked at how many PCs get sold by vendors each year? While I agree it won't sell all that much, (I'd be surprised if it gets above 10 million units before revision 2 comes out), saying that it won't sell because it's a PC is nonsense.

https://www.canalys.com/newsroom/global-pc-market-Q4-2021

Handheld PCs never sold much. Seriously, it's not hard to understand what I meant.

And I don't need to watch previews to know stuff about the Steam Deck. I just googled it. With some games it can last longer, up to 8 hours, but with most games, especially more demanding games it's closer to the lower end at 2 hours, which is short. The OG Switch had a minimum of 2.5 hours, also to short. On my v2 Switch I can play a game like BotW for over 5 hours. Since the Steam Deck's battery life is shorter and it's pretty heavy it's not for me.

When I play in handheld I like to lie on my bed, it wouldn't be very comfortable with this thing.

Random_Matt said:

Power requires size, pointless thread.

ARM does what Intel'nt

Steam Dock will compete with SFF PCs or gaming laptops.

Kakadu18 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

It reminds me of some of the switch haters back in the day. When Nintendo moved from 3ds which was genuinely portable to the Switch, some people said it oh it's not portable enough to be a success. It's too big and heavy to appeal to the masses like the wiiU gamepad. Who wants a switch when you can have an ipad instead? Mobile gaming is the future! And the list goes on.

Now I am not saying the Deck will be anywhere near as successful. Hell it's not even being sold outside of the Steam store and it's only coming out in a few regions. But some of the arm-chair expert opinions based on pictures who haven't even watch legitimate hands on previews of which there are plenty of is quite frankly, hilarious.

I personally use a carrying case cause with Joycon drift, putting the switch in my pocket would probably increase the chances of that significantly.

I don't need to see hands on previews to know that the battery life would be an issue to me and even more so the weight.

It might sell one or two million units, maybe even more, but regardless there's still a ceiling to a product like this. It's not a console, it's a PC.

The point is it isn't meant to sell handheld or console numbers it's purpose is to sell the Steam library, also regarding portability just like when the Switch came out there were those put off by it's size but also like the switch it will mostly be played at home plugged into the TV.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

mjk45 said:
Kakadu18 said:

The point is it isn't meant to sell handheld or console numbers it's purpose is to sell the Steam library, also regarding portability just like when the Switch came out there were those put off by it's size but also like the switch it will mostly be played at home plugged into the TV.

I know what it's supposed to do. I'm just saying that it's unappealing to me and most likely won't sell much.

Kakadu18 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Having doubts is fine. But criticizing a product without doing research is not.

Kakadu18 said:

But how do you know what it's battery life would be without watching any reviews/previews?

You do know PCs sell a ton of units right? Have you ever looked at how many PCs get sold by vendors each year? While I agree it won't sell all that much, (I'd be surprised if it gets above 10 million units before revision 2 comes out), saying that it won't sell because it's a PC is nonsense.

https://www.canalys.com/newsroom/global-pc-market-Q4-2021

Handheld PCs never sold much. Seriously, it's not hard to understand what I meant.

And I don't need to watch previews to know stuff about the Steam Deck. I just googled it. With some games it can last longer, up to 8 hours, but with most games, especially more demanding games it's closer to the lower end at 2 hours, which is short. The OG Switch had a minimum of 2.5 hours, also to short. On my v2 Switch I can play a game like BotW for over 5 hours. Since the Steam Deck's battery life is shorter and it's pretty heavy it's not for me.

When I play in handheld I like to lie on my bed, it wouldn't be very comfortable with this thing.

And before the Steam Deck, which company took making handheld PCs seriously on a big scale? And it kinda is because you weren't clear on what you meant...

Except the Steam Deck has power profiles and settings that one can tweak to increase battery life. So no, it's not so simple.

The last point I can agree with but I mentioned the weight as being as issue as well. For me it's not a deal breaker but I can understand why you would skip it because of the weight.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850