Maybe a Steam Deck Mini w... 3 4.29%

Does it come with a wireless gamepad? lol 1 1.43%

I'll just play it on my c... 0 0%

It's huge but still looking forward to it 11 15.71%

You're crazy it looks awesome 19 27.14%

Total:70

It's so simple. 

Steam Jeans!

Designed with bigger deeper front pockets.

Around the Network
Chazore said:
DonFerrari said:

Would you care to explain how expertise in making OS translates to developing good HW?

The fault is fully on Valve it is their product and brand there is no way around it. Didn't say Alienware have no responsibility, but ultmost responsibility lies with Steam they are the platform holder and who designed how the system was supposed to be. The great part of consoles is paying less for the HW for more performance, Steam tried to benefit of it without putting the effort just wanting the profit.

You know the story of how it went, yet at the same time you are treating Valve as if it is a copy of Sony/Nintendo, when they really aren't, and even then, Sony/Nintendo worked with HW manufacturers, not HW vendors that put together their own systems.

Sony makes it's order for manufacturing, same with Nintendo, Valve literally said to the hw *vendors* "build your own Steam machines how you want", expecting them to know better (which they should, that goes without saying). 

Steam machines was their idea, Alienware's own Steam machine was of their own HW, put together from HW manufacturers, even they didn't own half the hw inside the damn thing. The only part that was Valve's was the gamepad and the OS, nothing more. 

Valve didn't ultra specifically tell each vendor to design any of those Steam machine at all. They literally said they could do what they wanted, as long as they contained the Steam OS, because that's how Valve are, you see how they design their games, they don't spam shit out constantly like a PLC, and they don't breath down necks all the time (like the big 3 do for nearly everything). 

It's so weird how you're trying to word it like they are some big bad retard or something, when they really aren't like that. Like I said, Yuri's already explained this before and I've been trying to explain it to you here, so if you cannot accept either, then we cannot do anything more for you (but I'm not going to allow baseless blame when the subject hasn't been researched from your end, to what is common knowledge on mine/Yuri's end). 

Also we're straying off course here with past device talk, instead of the current, which is the Steam Deck.

If the failure of your project is the lack of definition and planning what else besides big retar can you call Steam over it?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

If the failure of your project is the lack of definition and planning what else besides big retar can you call Steam over it?

I've told you what there is to know, but you're cock sure and already made your mind up before this convo even started, Don.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

the-pi-guy said:
DonFerrari said:

Seems like just as the desktops Valve failed again in designing HW.

Well Chazore already mentioned already.

Valve didn't design the Steam Machines. On the whole, Valve mostly was pushing SteamOS, because they were worried MS was going to close them out, by the MS store. So they didn't really care about it, after MS didn't do anything.

They did design the Steam Controller, Valve Index.

I know the Steam Controller was more love it/hate it than something that Microsoft/Nintendo/Sony would probably make. The Valve Index, I'm not aware of any big issues. It's very outdated and overpriced today. But at the time it came out, it was a genuinely good product at a good price. The closest comparison was the HTC Vive Pro which was $400 more, and the Index came with better speakers, much, much, much better controllers, better screen even.

The Index controllers still haven't been matched feature wise.

The previews that I saw were very solid for the Steam Deck. It has some minor issues that Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft wouldn't put up with in a commercial product. But I wouldn't say it's a bad product, or a failure, just because it's not as good as it probably should have been. It overall seems like a great piece of hardware, and it's doing stuff that no other hardware is doing (in its price range). It's going to be running games that the Switch 2 probably won't be able to. And it's running PC games better than the much more pricey competition.

I know I'm repeating myself, but giving a free pass to Valve because they didn't care isn't a good atittude by customers, sure we can agree they didn't designed the hardware, but they gave it their stamp when calling steam machines and I severely doubt there were no absolutely minimum requirement or some agreement on specs and prices (and in the lack of it then is even more failure from the company).

Making a good controller doesn't help in experience on making a "console", or would we expect some of the 3rd party accessorie sellers on consoles to be able to make their own console? And sure we need to wait for the product to properly release to have it working and fully tested on the market.

It is expected of fixed HW to run games better than more pricey competition even more when the first is subsided (sold at loss) and the second is sold for a big markup (reason why even with some Sony games going PC I'm still not moving, the price of PS5 as a whole doesn't buy even half of the equivalent GPU in Brazil unfortunatelly). But still some of the glaring issues of the steam deck is from their lack of experience and I don't know why defend it as non-issues.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

To add to the micro-SD discussion, USB-C SSD enclosures also exist. I have an m.2 SATA SSD in an enclosure and it is very portable. I use it to play some games in between my desktop and laptop without duplicating between their respective storages. USB-C supports up to 10 Gbps - plenty fast enough for all but the fastest SSD's.

This is about how big they are.

It's trivial to swap games between these and the internal SSD. 

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
DonFerrari said:

I know I'm repeating myself, but giving a free pass to Valve because they didn't care isn't a good atittude by customers, sure we can agree they didn't designed the hardware, but they gave it their stamp when calling steam machines and I severely doubt there were no absolutely minimum requirement or some agreement on specs and prices (and in the lack of it then is even more failure from the company).

Making a good controller doesn't help in experience on making a "console", or would we expect some of the 3rd party accessorie sellers on consoles to be able to make their own console? And sure we need to wait for the product to properly release to have it working and fully tested on the market.

It is expected of fixed HW to run games better than more pricey competition even more when the first is subsided (sold at loss) and the second is sold for a big markup (reason why even with some Sony games going PC I'm still not moving, the price of PS5 as a whole doesn't buy even half of the equivalent GPU in Brazil unfortunatelly). But still some of the glaring issues of the steam deck is from their lack of experience and I don't know why defend it as non-issues.

Are people saying there aren't any issues? 

I don't think anyone is saying its a perfect piece of hardware, but I think it's hard to argue that there is better hardware in the space that it is working in.

There are similar fixed hardware to the Steam Deck, and the Linus preview compares a couple of them, but they cost close to 3x what the Steam Deck costs, and the steam deck generally runs better, and for longer.

Chazore is dismissing all the issues as non-issues. Like suddenly PC gamers are ok with 30fps, semi-portable but no great battery etc.

Sure I can see it being the best one available on a market that well only have bad HW available, that is on smaller PCs. But when we have had PSP, PSVita and Switch as portables that are acceptably near console level games (and in case of switch it is also equivalent to console in some aspects) then it is hard to defend the mistakes in design or sacrifices. Like if you make the portable so big (and well the screen isn`t as big) then do it properly for battery life (one of my main issues with smartphones is they having giant screens but ultra thin, while it could be a tad bulkier to have double the battery life).

On price we go back to the point that on PC space the HW are being sold for a good premium, and it is good that SteamDeck isn`t going the same way, but I guess it still have a premium.

sc94597 said:

To add to the micro-SD discussion, USB-C SSD enclosures also exist. I have an m.2 SATA SSD in an enclosure and it is very portable. I use it to play some games in between my desktop and laptop without duplicating between their respective storages. USB-C supports up to 10 Gbps - plenty fast enough for all but the fastest SSD's.

This is about how big they are.

It's trivial to swap games between these and the internal SSD. 

I don`t like the idea of a "dongle" hanging on my portable device. Sure on a notebook is half acceptable as you likely would use it on a table, but for handhelds not confortable for me.

DonFerrari said:

Chazore is dismissing all the issues as non-issues. Like suddenly PC gamers are ok with 30fps, semi-portable but no great battery etc.

Sure I can see it being the best one available on a market that well only have bad HW available, that is on smaller PCs. But when we have had PSP, PSVita and Switch as portables that are acceptably near console level games (and in case of switch it is also equivalent to console in some aspects) then it is hard to defend the mistakes in design or sacrifices. Like if you make the portable so big (and well the screen isn`t as big) then do it properly for battery life (one of my main issues with smartphones is they having giant screens but ultra thin, while it could be a tad bulkier to have double the battery life).

On price we go back to the point that on PC space the HW are being sold for a good premium, and it is good that SteamDeck isn`t going the same way, but I guess it still have a premium.

How am I "dismissing" said issues, and what issues are those even, that aren't Steam machine related or related to past history of Valve dealing with manufacturers (not to be confused with vendors). 

There are plenty of PC gamers out there who play at various framerates of their choosing. I merely pointed out to Mumm that there are games out there capped at 30fps and even 60fps on PC, that simply cannot be uncapped, and somehow 30fps is a problem?. The main problem is games being capped on purpose by the devs, not the user choosing what framerate they wish to play at. 

The other handheld devices aren't terrible, and that doesn't make the Deck shine by default, what makes it shine is that it's using their own OS, their choice of hw and the fact it's already showing gains with the current tests being done with the OS by devs themselves and reviewers testing out via their own benchmarking. 

Why do we even need to argue the Deck's design as some "objective" negative that "cannot be defended"?. They chose the layout they wanted, and while that's not everyone's cup of tea, that doesn't make the design so bad that it's doomed.

There are plenty of devices out there on the market that don't have the best battery life, and that's something manufactures/scientists are just going to have to power through over time. You don't just snap your fingers and have a battery that trumps all over, those things take years to come up with. 

The Deck has only one premium option going for it at the moment, and that also includes a different type of screen/memory, which is fair, because that kind of screen isn't cheap, and they likely don't have access to the premium internal memory, to make it cheaper and built in the millions. You have to remember that Valve is not a 1 to 1 copy of Sony, where they make console hw, sell it at a loss and then cut corners on getting parts cheaper down the line, or even waiting for cheaper parts at all.

You need to let that part of your logic go, because they are not the same.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

I don't know if I agree it looks awful. It has issues, but when you consider the price point for the cheapest it's an impressive machine. My big problem with it is that it's Linux-based. That automatically removes support for a huge part of the Steam library, limiting its appeal for me. Then again, if it does well, it'll incentivize devs to develop ports tailored for it, making the experience even better than it is initially.

the-pi-guy said:
DonFerrari said:

>Like suddenly PC gamers are ok with 30fps, semi-portable but no great battery

You can still turn down settings, and play at 60. They were just demonstrating battery performance. 

>But when we have had PSP, PSVita and Switch as portables that are acceptably near console level games (and in case of switch it is also equivalent to console in some aspects) 

There's still a big difference. PSP, Vita were all playing console level games from a generation earlier. The Vita was being pushed as a platform that could play comparable games to the PS3, but it launched 5-6 years after the PS3 came out.  

The Steam deck is poised to be able to play PS5/Xbox Series games in a handheld. It'd be like if the Vita came out in 2007 instead of late 2011/early 2012. Of course the Vita would be much larger and have much worse battery life. 

On the size and performance front, MS/Nintendo/Sony really couldn't do much better. 

Those systems are a lot smaller because they made that size the priority and made sacrifices on performance. Valve is doing the opposite and putting performance first and that is appealing to a lot of people. 

Yes you can mess around with settings to try and get the performance you are most confortable with, still being able to make it 60fps with other compromises don't nulify the defense that 30fps isn't a problem anymore for PC gamers while for the longest of time bitching console games were inferior 30fps experiences. But why not give more battery if you already making it this big?

Sure there were close to 1 gen difference between the games on console and PSP and Vita. But if we want to go that way there will be a gen difference in quality between a top level gamer PC and Steam Deck don't you think? Also sure that if Vita launched earlier it would need bigger size and less battery, there is no magic, the earlier your device the least powerful for same size and consumption.

I would say the 3 would likely use the space likely better, there isn't much to be done on the APU itself because well neither Steam nor the other 3 develop their APU.

I think it is hard to say that performance was first when well that in itself would already remove portable being a choice =p

And just to make clear, although I have Switch I would more likely play steamdeck than it, will monitor the prices for when I'm able to buy it.