Maybe a Steam Deck Mini w... 3 4.29%

Does it come with a wireless gamepad? lol 1 1.43%

I'll just play it on my c... 0 0%

It's huge but still looking forward to it 11 15.71%

You're crazy it looks awesome 19 27.14%

Total:70
Metallox said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Companies should stop making laptops and ipads as well as those are bigger than the switch too! You can't fit 10 inch ipads inside of your pockets so they are pointless!

iPads are indeed pointless, though. 

Almost 500 million iPads have been sold so far.

Seems that they aren't that pointless as many haters hoped.

Around the Network

You can't cram something as powerful as a steam deck in a Switch-like body yet.

Build quality, temperature, performance, and battery life seem to be great, outcompeting  much more expensive handheld PC's, if LTT's review is representative. 

sc94597 said:

Build quality, temperature, performance, and battery life seem to be great, outcompeting  much more expensive handheld PC's, if LTT's review is representative. 

The battery life in the video is surprisingly good once you cap it to 30 fps.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I honestly can't believe that I'm having this much trouble finding a pic of a hot pocket in a pants pocket. Not a single one. WTF?

Around the Network
Conina said:
Metallox said:

iPads are indeed pointless, though. 

Almost 500 million iPads have been sold so far.

Seems that they aren't that pointless as many haters hoped.

Benefits of tablets are especially apparent in small businesses, where they replace usual POS machines very comfortably. As a standard consumer product, well, I never understood the appeal of at least the first tablets, those ones released, say, two or three years after the release of the original iPad. As time has gone on, I think their existence has been justified in several ways. But the first iPad, for example? It sucked. I remember when Jobs tried to explain their aim to make the machine better at certain tasks phones and laptops were known for. Well, to me, the thing wasn't better at anything, maybe just video playback, which, yeah, might've been enough justification. 

Different strokes for everyone, though, I know I am really weird. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

dane007 said:

Thanks for the link. I had a look and the people commenting have the same idea. What pants do you wear to be big enough  to fit the switch in it comfortably so that it wont fall lut?! I need those oants as the ones i have are too small and often i feel like if i were to sot down woth swotch in my pocket i may snap it in half😂.  I never saw switch as being portable as the size is beyond portability for me. 

Agree exclusives is what makes switch an attractive oackage but imagine having the entire steam library with graphics that far exceeds switch and closer to console graphics minus Ray tracing. Which device out there where u can play steam library games at low to mid range pc on the go? 

. Why shouldn't it be made? Switch needs competition. I am sure it wont beat switch but if steam deck cam show that u can be portable with better specs and sell well, then nintendo has to carefully think about the next portable when it comes out. 

JWeinCom said:

I put my Switch in my pocket personally. I play it mostly on the train to my school/work, so I like to be able to access it quickly and not have to fiddle with a carrying case/bag when I have to get off the train. https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/6kzxlv/do_you_ever_put_your_switch_in_your_pocket/ I'm not the only one. Also just convenient to be able to slide it in a pocket just to carry it around the house. Not a necessity but good.

The Switch is really besides the point though. Portability isn't the only reason to buy a Switch, or even probably the primary reason, which would be the exclusives. So, the portability for the Switch is more of a bonus feature in a sense. For this, there are other machines that run the exact same games, often better, so aside from portability and price, its utility is questionable. Portability is kind of the whole point. It has one job. The bigger it becomes, the less purpose it has.

Maybe it's the smallest they could make it, but then maybe the product just shouldn't be made at this point. 

JWeinCom said:

I put my Switch in my pocket personally. I play it mostly on the train to my school/work, so I like to be able to access it quickly and not have to fiddle with a carrying case/bag when I have to get off the train. https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/6kzxlv/do_you_ever_put_your_switch_in_your_pocket/ I'm not the only one. Also just convenient to be able to slide it in a pocket just to carry it around the house. Not a necessity but good.

The Switch is really besides the point though. Portability isn't the only reason to buy a Switch, or even probably the primary reason, which would be the exclusives. So, the portability for the Switch is more of a bonus feature in a sense. For this, there are other machines that run the exact same games, often better, so aside from portability and price, its utility is questionable. Portability is kind of the whole point. It has one job. The bigger it becomes, the less purpose it has.

Maybe it's the smallest they could make it, but then maybe the product just shouldn't be made at this point. 

I think I have normal pants. I'm a little bit overweight so maybe my pockets are bigger? The joycons stick out sometimes, but I can take those off. 

I think it looks like it does what it does well. I'm just wondering if there's a market for that. Steam games can be played either on desktops or laptops. Obviously there are some situations where a Steam Deck would be preferable to either option, but those situations are too narrow IMO to make it successful.

If that's true, then they shouldn't make it. If it's not going to be popular enough to make a profit. I could of course be wrong. But, I don't see this being a competitor to the Switch. I think Valve knows it's going to be a niche product anyway based on the way they're marketing.

Steam deck will flop as hard as the Vita.

Its too big to compete with the switch. In fact the switch is already big for a portable, its already a push.

Most people would just get a laptop for pc gaming, as steam deck is not much more portable than a laptop.

Holding that and playing with those controls looks awkward, how heavy is it? It looks like its going to be uncomfortable. 

PC games are quite big usually, its not like on the switch where most games are under 20gb, so space might be an issue.

And the question is who would actually be playing PC games on the train, bus? A shooter with those controls will be of putting, most PC games I'd rather play on my big screen.

I will never buy one, I have a switch and I barely play it portable, I have it for the exclusive nintendo titles, but my PC games Ill just play on my PC.

Not sure why people keep bringing up a Switch when the Steam Deck isn't even aimed targeting the same audience as them. The people who are interested in this are most likely people who are already invested in Steam and PC and not necessarily interested in consoles and vice versa. Yes, it is big though its not THAT big that you can't carry around with you and use comfortably. Though like the Switch, its probably more at home to be used as a portable device indoors rather than out.

Storage wise, it accepts Micro SD (think up to 1TB) cards for expansion and also read from external USB drives. And if you're more technically inclined, the internal memory is user replaceable with a little tinkering.

Cost is a big factor in the appeal for this device. Like try finding a PC/laptop that has similar specs that can play the latest games natively on the platform for $399. I bet you can't. The only other alternative devices in this class cost 3x more than the Deck take the; Aya Neo and GPD Win Max. This is literally an all in one PC in a handheld form factor, that cost about the same as a console. Has a full operational OS and is open platform. Can play hundreds of games if not thousands (on Proton) of games at launch. For value alone its and insane package.. but for some reason people can't see past ItS TOo BiG so FaILuRE.

Last edited by hinch - on 08 February 2022

Seems like just as the desktops Valve failed again in designing HW.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."