By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Quarterly Sales Update: (To 31st December) Switch at 103.54m shipped

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

Well, so much for all that nonsense about $60 being too much for a 2D Metroid; it's only 80k off being the highest selling game in the series, in less than 3 months.

4m lifetime isn't off the table, really goes to show the built up demand for a new entry, plus the Switch boost. And the fact it's a freaking fantastic game.

It feels like almost every Nintendo game gets the "$60 is too much" treatment. Also, it's totally a standard for every 2D game.

I think that stems from the fact that Nintendo games very rarely, almost never, drops in price or go on sale. Whereas you can find COD, Madden, FIFA, or NBA 2K going for $20-30 almost immediately after launch. 

Around the Network

Yeah, as someone who paid $80 AUD for it, I got more out of Metroid Dread than I did out of plenty of 3D AAA games that were the same price.
Some of the best games I've ever played are 2D.

It's always seemed silly to me, the notion that a game's quality scales linearly with its budget. I've played AAA games that were about as fun as watching paint dry, and I've played games made on a shoestring budget that were an absolute blast.

Seems the players have spoken with regards to Dread. Since these numbers are as of December 31st, it's probably already the highest selling Metroid ever as I type this.