By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - NFTs are a force for good!?!

Tagged games:

Around the Network

Fuck NFTs and anyone who supports them. NFT stands for Non Functioning Testicles and No Fucking Thanks.

Last edited by Leynos - on 29 January 2022

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Back in the 360 era we got our first DLC in the form of horse armor. Now look at modern games.. we can't get away from it. And its not because most publishers/developers care for consumers. There's no way this is going to be used for any good.

Last edited by hinch - on 29 January 2022

It's very telling that the same companies that have fought tooth and nail against the used games market (both retail AND digital re-selling) suddenly want in on the NFT craze to "create a market value for the players". Whoever proftis from this, it won't be gamers.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I don't think that games companies will want to allow third-parties to trade their in-game assets, so I can't see NFTs being involved here. If players are allowed to buy and sell items, then the game owners will set it up to take a percentage. That's before the gambling laws get a look in.

NFTs seem to be based on a misunderstanding of what "digital ownership" is anyway. Transferring anything as a side-effect of purchasing an NFT would require a complex legal contract to be agreed and signed (presumably the details would be different for each NFT). Without that if it came to court it'd probably just work out as "you own the NFT, but not the thing itself... as that wasn't that is wasn't defined in the agreement".

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
gergroy said:

What are nfts?

Short answer: A ponzi scheme

NFT stands for non fungible token

It's just a transaction stored in blockChain, a secure file floating around the net, maintained and updated by Bitcoin mining.
Picture it as a receipt stored on the web.
You can trade those receipts with others as you see fit by requesting a transaction, which will then be appended to blockChain by bitcoin miners.

The NFT or receipt states you are the owner of some digital content, most popular atm, ugly pictures
https://www.blockchain.com/nfts
You don't own the copyright though, actually you own nothing, just the receipt that you paid for what the NFT links to. The item itself is not stored in blockChain, it's just a link and transaction record.

What makes it great for publishers is, they can request 10% of any resale of those NFTs
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2022-01-15-konami-earns-over-gbp118-000-from-that-castlevania-nft-auction
And investors use it to gamble on its popularity to make a quick buck.

Atari wants to combine it with loot boxes
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2022-01-27-atari-releasing-giftable-nfts-to-celebrate-50th-anniversary

Oh and then there's the environmental impact from bitcoin mining where 1 transaction is equal to 1.6 million VISA transactions in carbon footprint.

The best storie ais the Duna NFT, people bought and think to own the copyright, funny

TallSilhouette said:

Really confuses me why so many people always ask instead of just looking it up themselves.

hinch said:

Back in the 360 era we got our first DLC in the form of horse armor. Now look at modern games.. we can't get away from it. And its not because most publishers/developers care for consumers. There's no way this is going to be used for any good.

DLC has something good though. Instead of needing to buy a third version for Pokémon games or an Ultimate version for Monster Hunter games there can be DLC and expansions. That said some games have way to much DLC, many JRPGs in particular.

If people buy NFTs when they get integrated into games the game companies are going to make more and more. And unlike DLC NFTs are environmentaly unsafe and you don't actually own the digital asset.

NFTs are over hated imo. It's just a blockchain contact that shows you own a digital asset that in some cases can have real-world use and can be bought, sold, and traded. Games can have more immersive digital marketplaces kinda like how Forza has the auto shows where people can buy or sell used cars but this time it can be done with skins and content bought through microtransactions. As long as it's not exploited and its implementation is reasonable I think this is a win win for the publishers and players.

jason1637 said:

NFTs are over hated imo. It's just a blockchain contact that shows you own a digital asset that in some cases can have real-world use and can be bought, sold, and traded. Games can have more immersive digital marketplaces kinda like how Forza has the auto shows where people can buy or sell used cars but this time it can be done with skins and content bought through microtransactions. As long as it's not exploited and its implementation is reasonable I think this is a win win for the publishers and players.

Well there's your first problem: blockchain. The next problem is that NFTs are absolutely not necessary for anything you said. I can also assure you that publishers are not looking into NFTs for the good of gamers; No, it's for their own good, so I can guarantee you they will be exploited as much as gamers allow it. Maybe they will bring some benefits to gamers as well, but that will be only to gain the acceptance of gamers.