By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - NFTs are a force for good!?!

Tagged games:

Zkuq said:
jason1637 said:

NFTs are over hated imo. It's just a blockchain contact that shows you own a digital asset that in some cases can have real-world use and can be bought, sold, and traded. Games can have more immersive digital marketplaces kinda like how Forza has the auto shows where people can buy or sell used cars but this time it can be done with skins and content bought through microtransactions. As long as it's not exploited and its implementation is reasonable I think this is a win win for the publishers and players.

Well there's your first problem: blockchain. The next problem is that NFTs are absolutely not necessary for anything you said. I can also assure you that publishers are not looking into NFTs for the good of gamers; No, it's for their own good, so I can guarantee you they will be exploited as much as gamers allow it. Maybe they will bring some benefits to gamers as well, but that will be only to gain the acceptance of gamers.

A marketplace being on blockchain lifts resources that a publisher would need to use to maintain their own in game marketplace. I think it could be cool for gamers for example Fortnite if I have a skin and sell that skin or trade it for others I wont have to spend as much money continuing purchasing new skins as I can keep trading or buying and selling and the publisher is earning a certain percent from these transactions so they wouldn't care that I'm not buying new content. Like you said it can definitely be exploited like MTX but I expect pushback if NFT are exploited by publishers. I just think the tech is really cool and would love to see it implemented in a non-exploitative way in video games.

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
Zkuq said:

Well there's your first problem: blockchain. The next problem is that NFTs are absolutely not necessary for anything you said. I can also assure you that publishers are not looking into NFTs for the good of gamers; No, it's for their own good, so I can guarantee you they will be exploited as much as gamers allow it. Maybe they will bring some benefits to gamers as well, but that will be only to gain the acceptance of gamers.

A marketplace being on blockchain lifts resources that a publisher would need to use to maintain their own in game marketplace. I think it could be cool for gamers for example Fortnite if I have a skin and sell that skin or trade it for others I wont have to spend as much money continuing purchasing new skins as I can keep trading or buying and selling and the publisher is earning a certain percent from these transactions so they wouldn't care that I'm not buying new content. Like you said it can definitely be exploited like MTX but I expect pushback if NFT are exploited by publishers. I just think the tech is really cool and would love to see it implemented in a non-exploitative way in video games.

I know the benefits, but in my opinion they are far outweighed by the potential for environmental damage. If publishers want their piece of the cake, they should do something to earn it instead of pushing the cost on the environment. Also, gamers have shown again and again that they're willing to get exploited, so I don't share your faith.

Zkuq said:
jason1637 said:

I know the benefits, but in my opinion they are far outweighed by the potential for environmental damage. If publishers want their piece of the cake, they should do something to earn it instead of pushing the cost on the environment. Also, gamers have shown again and again that they're willing to get exploited, so I don't share your faith.

There are blockchain platforms that power NFTs that have very little environmental harm like Tezos and Solano. Also Ethereum 2.0 is rolling out in his year and that has a focus on being environmentally friendly. 

Ew hell no. Hopefully the future is crypto being banned everything and nfts, which are just a grift to get you into crypto, also die off completely

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

jason1637 said:

There are blockchain platforms that power NFTs that have very little environmental harm like Tezos and Solano. Also Ethereum 2.0 is rolling out in his year and that has a focus on being environmentally friendly. 

You know what's even more environmentally friendly? No NFTs!

There is no need for them, they serve no purpose that can't be done more efficiently and with less opportunities to scam people.

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
Zkuq said:

Even when applied at an extremely large scale? Anyway, I'll believe it when I see it. Maybe blockchain technology will be more sustainable in the future, but until we're there, I'm against it. If we ever get to a suistainable point, we can start talking about actual use cases more seriously (which I'm not optimistic about, mind you, because there isn't much NFTs can do that hasn't been possible for a long time already).

SvennoJ said:
jason1637 said:

There is no need for them, they serve no purpose that can't be done more efficiently and with less opportunities to scam people.

I mean everything we do has an environmental impact. Atleast there’s options out there that drastically lower that. For example the banking and gold industry harm the environment far more than crypto does but it’s ridiculous to get rid of physical currency in exchange for digital. 
The blockchain is a reliable way to manage NFT contracts and the tech can be used for a lot more than art. 

jason1637 said:
SvennoJ said:

I mean everything we do has an environmental impact. Atleast there’s options out there that drastically lower that. For example the banking and gold industry harm the environment far more than crypto does but it’s ridiculous to get rid of physical currency in exchange for digital. 
The blockchain is a reliable way to manage NFT contracts and the tech can be used for a lot more than art. 

Nope:

According to independent researchers Max Krause and Thabet Tolaymat, it takes 17 megajoules (MJ) of computer power to generate $1 of bitcoin and only 5MJ of energy to produce $1 of gold. In fact, bitcoin mining is nearly 15X more carbon intensive than mining an equivalent amount of gold (in dollar terms).

Zkuq said:
jason1637 said:

Even when applied at an extremely large scale? Anyway, I'll believe it when I see it. Maybe blockchain technology will be more sustainable in the future, but until we're there, I'm against it. If we ever get to a suistainable point, we can start talking about actual use cases more seriously (which I'm not optimistic about, mind you, because there isn't much NFTs can do that hasn't been possible for a long time already).

Sustainable blockhain platforms are used in a large scale. For example Tezos last year carbon footprint was equal to that of the average footprint of 17 people and they had 33 million transaction last year.

https://tezos.com/carbon/

https://xtz.news/latest-tezos-news/tezos-in-2021-a-year-of-adoption-and-growth/#:~:text=A%202021%20summary&text=This%20year%20we%20had%2033,on%20mainnet%20were%20NFT%20related.

Solano last year had 20 billion transactions and energy usage equate to 1038 American households. BTW one solano transaction takes 65 times less energy than play 1 minute of a video game on the Playstation 5.

https://solana.com/news/solana-energy-usage-report-november-2021

SvennoJ said:
jason1637 said:

Nope:

According to independent researchers Max Krause and Thabet Tolaymat, it takes 17 megajoules (MJ) of computer power to generate $1 of bitcoin and only 5MJ of energy to produce $1 of gold. In fact, bitcoin mining is nearly 15X more carbon intensive than mining an equivalent amount of gold (in dollar terms).

Yeah I said the banking and gold industry. Include banking into that and physical currency is way more harmful than digital currency.