already preordered! 11 20.75%

will buy on release 6 11.32%

will buy later 15 28.30%

wait for more information 8 15.09%

not interested 13 24.53%

Total:53

Reviewers seem to love it...

Around the Network

Could be the first Pokemon I ever play, but it‘s so ugly compared to BotW…

Getting it for my kids. Not myself. I might play it if it's good.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Spindel said:
Pemalite said:

Lack of voice acting.

You see this as a negative, I see this as a positive. 

That's fine. Each to their own.
But some of my favorite games... I.E. Mass Effect, Dragon Age were driven by some amazing and powerful acting... It really feels like a regression when you play a game that just doesn't have it... Oddly it seems to be a more common thing on the Switch than other platforms? Or it's just the games I typically play.

Voice acting just gives more life to a character than just a text box... And as a consumer is something I like to see as it shows more effort was put into the game by the developer.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I too thought it looked generic, boring and visually unimpressing. But many friends I trust that got the game early (or pirated it) told me that it was actually great, that Game Freak actually delivered this time. So I preordered it last week and my copy should arrive tomorrow morning. I don't think I will change my mind about the graphics, but I'm really hoping gameplay wise it's the Pokémon adventure that Sword and Shield should have been..

Around the Network

So... gotta say... This is not a good looking game. Like... it's been a while since I've genuinely found a game to be visually unappealing. Like, I was perfectly fine with Sword and Shield, because it worked with the style even though it was pretty unambitious, but in an open world game it's actually jarring. We'll see how I get used to this... But... Well, let's just say, if this game were a girl, she'd better have a good personality.

Edit: But I couldn't help but smiling when catching my first Pokemon.

Pemalite said:

Character models are okay... But poor animation quality.

Game world looks like ass... Even worst in docked mode on a massive display... It's extremely barren, lacking details, lots of pop in with short draw distances.
Pretty sure there are Xbox 360 games from 10 years ago with superior visuals in an open world setting... Heck. Breath of the Wild is 5 years old now and looks far superior.
Sticking to playing it in handheld on my OLED Switch... Looks the best that way.

Lack of voice acting.

Does have that "Pokemon Charm" and the Gameplay mechanics seem solid.

See how I feel with a few more hours of game time... Visuals are definitely the big first impression though... And a big let down after playing Metroid Dread.

That’s the feeling I keep getting as I play it - the general human models are good, as are the buildings but overall detail is sorely lacking. Some of the characters clothes look like they haven’t fully rendered. The immediate area around you looks pretty good, but beyond that its barren, and if you turn around quickly (including in cutscenes) the pop-in is obvious. Mt Coronet looks like a still image, which really reduces the mysterious look they’ve clearly aimed for. There’s also distance Pokemon that are clearly at a lower framerate.

Performance and presentation wise, it feels like an early access game and from a different era. It’s actually comparable to the footage recently leaked from Star Wars 1313.

After reading a few reviews I decided to buy it, as majority of people say, the game is ugly, particularly the world, character models and buildings aren’t terrible but still could be better, the sky is amazing though, nicest sky in a game I think I’ve seen lol, something about it seems magical. The gameplay is awesome though, it’s been at least a decade since I enjoyed a Pokémon game this much so far, the battle system is tweaked very nicely, the catching mechanics are fun, collecting materials and crafting is awesome, a lot of quest and side quests to do. I’m only 6 hours into it but that went by in the blink of an eye. Really looking forward to getting deeper into it. The world is also fairly empty feeling, lack of caves, dungeons puzzles etc, I think if they add those in the future iterations, it will be a phenomenal experience. I have to say, I had little to no hope in Gamefreak anymore but this has given me some. I’m hopeful they may even release an expansion that’s a little more dungeon oriented.

I hope they incorporate a lot of this going forward with the Pokémon franchise.

JWeinCom said:

So... gotta say... This is not a good looking game. Like... it's been a while since I've genuinely found a game to be visually unappealing. Like, I was perfectly fine with Sword and Shield, because it worked with the style even though it was pretty unambitious, but in an open world game it's actually jarring. We'll see how I get used to this... But... Well, let's just say, if this game were a girl, she'd better have a good personality.

Edit: But I couldn't help but smiling when catching my first Pokemon.

She is different from other girls, but I hear she's not as open as she appears to be on the surface.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Got the game yesterday, a few hours in. Graphics really aren't that big of a deal. It doesn't affect the enjoyment of the game at all. Are the graphics lazy? Yes. But it's not like they are so bad that it is hard to look at. Sure there is no reason for a Pokemon game that is going to make tons of money to have subpar graphics, and it is right to complain about the laziness of Game Freak when it comes to the graphics, but the game is perfectly fine.

Things look good from far away, though you don't see the details of the landscape like trees and stuff from far away so it just looks like rolling hills off in the distance, it's very pretty though, you just don't see the details. There are pop-in issues, the things you can't see far away phase in, and for some objects you can see you notice things jumping to greater details as you start to get closer to them. Water looks pretty unremarkable. And the textures on the game are crap but it's only noticeable up close, and because it is a cartoon art style and not a hyper-realistic art style it doesn't pull you out of the experience of anything to see crappy textures. The pokemon and characters all look fine.

So yeah graphics are real lazy and there's no reason for that, either just bad graphic artists or laziness on the part of Game Freak, but in general for the most part it looks fine or even pretty when you're looking over the landscape (and the sky is gorgeous). If you're obsessed with graphics you may have a problem, but if you're fine with just ok graphics especially considering it doesn't hurt gameplay at all, then this is a fresh take on Pokemon that livens up what had become a stale formula. The world is split up into several huge areas so there is plenty of world to roam around and catch and battle pokemon. Is it the perfect Pokemon game of our imaginations? No. But it is a first good step toward the dream of a huge rich open world Pokemon game. Definitely worth picking up.

Any pokemon fan would enjoy this and for anyone who hasn't tried pokemon, this is a great first taste of what is hopefully the start of a new gameplay formula for the franchise.

If you're unsure on getting the game, don't let the graphics haters stop you, yes you'll notice the laziness of the graphics but it doesn't affect the game and of any pokemon game that has come out so far on the Switch this is probably the one to get.