By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts December 2021 Discussion Thread

RolStoppable said:

Shouldn't take all too long until widespread acceptance that Switch has won this generation. On one hand we have the PS5 shortages that limit PS5 sales and on the other hand we can see how much Switch has sold in the years ahead. Add the fact how convincingly Switch has taken care of business in the comparison against the PS4 and you'll be hardpressed to find anyone who believes that the PS5 can sell more than Switch.

I don’t think you will find anyone outside this forum that would even make the comparison or care. I don’t believe most “normies” consider then competitor products, and I know Sony certainly doesn’t. 

Around the Network

Not long left till the lead that has lasted a bit over 8 years completely evaporates. Seems PS4+Xbox One won't make it to 170m which not many people would've expected only a couple years ago.

trunkswd said:

Share the article here

PS4 and Xbox One vs PS3 and Xbox 360 Sales Comparison - December 2021

This monthly series compares the combined aligned sales of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One with the combined aligned sales of the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

The 98th month for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One is December 2021, while for the Xbox 360 it is December 2013 and for the PlayStation 3 it is December 2014. This does mean the holiday periods for all four consoles are lined up.

Gap change in latest month: 1,665,583 - PS3 & X360

Gap change over last 12 months: 6,698,177 - PS3 & X360

Total Lead: 398,511 - PS4 & XOne

Total Combined PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 Sales: 166,643,478

Total Combined PlayStation 4 and Xbox One Sales: 167,041,989

In December 2021, the gap grew in favor of the combined sales of the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in the last month by 1.67 million units. In the last 12 months, the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 have caught up by 6.70 million units. The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One lead by a combined 398,511 units.

The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in their first 98 months sold a combined 166.64 million units, while the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One have sold a combined 167.04 million units. It took until month 100 for the PS3 and Xbox 360 to sell as many units as the current PS4 and Xbox One sales.

The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 sold a combined 173.22 million units lifetime. The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are currently 6.18 million units away from surpassing the PS3 and X360.

With each passing month is becomes more and more of a sure thing that PS4/Xbone won't sell as much as PS3/360, and honestly, the better consoles won here. I never felt compelled to get a PS4 or an Xbone, whereas I bought both a PS3 and a 360 in the 7th gen.

RolStoppable said:
aTokenYeti said:

I don’t think you will find anyone outside this forum that would even make the comparison or care. I don’t believe most “normies” consider then competitor products, and I know Sony certainly doesn’t. 

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/05/sonys_targeting_more_than_50_per_cent_market_share_with_ps5

So much for your knowledge.

Comment #32 is funny.

Quote: "The Series S was a huge mistake."