By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts December 2021 Discussion Thread

Welcome everyone to the VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts December 2021 Discussion Thread. This thread is a place for everyone to discuss the latest VGChartz monthly Sales Comparison articles for the month of December 2021. Everyone is welcome to post monthly articles I haven't done so yet.  You can view the ones currently posted here

Previous months:

2021: January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November

2020: January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December

2019: September, October, NovemberDecember

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Share the article here.

PS5 vs PS4 Sales Comparison - December 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020, while the PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

PS5 Vs. PS4 Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 236,792 - PS4

Gap change over last 12 months: 272,549 - PS4

Total Lead: 329,520 - PS4

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 17,847,989

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 18,177,509

December 2021 is the 14th month the PlayStation 5 has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 4 when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 5 by 236,792 units and by 272,549 units in the last 12 months. The PS4 is ahead of the PS5 by 329,520 units.

The PS5 has sold 17.85 million units in 14 months, while the PS4 sold 18.18 million units. Month 14 for the PS5 is December 2021 and for the PS4 is December 2014.

The PS4 crossed 20 million units in month 17, 30 million units in month 25, and 40 million units in month 31. The PS4 has sold 116.54 million units to date.

Last edited by trunkswd - on 21 January 2022

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

The gap chart still says PS5 lead in the chart title.

HigHurtenflurst said:

The gap chart still says PS5 lead in the chart title.

Thanks for pointing that out. I've fixed the error.

No problem.
On the subject of PS4 taking the lead, I think PS5 production is probably high enough now that it should be able to retake the lead during the year. Whether it will be able to keep the lead come November/December will depend on how long the chip shortage affects production & whether Sony will be able to stockpile for holiday sales as PS4s 2015 holiday might be it's best.

Around the Network

Share the article here.

Xbox Series X|S vs Xbox One Sales Comparison - December 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One.

The Xbox Series X|S launched in November 2020, while the Xbox One launched in November 2013. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

XSX|S Vs. XOne Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 126,989 - XSX|S

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,550,291 - XSX|S

Total Lead: 1,521,912 - XSX|S

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 11,817,831

Xbox One Total Sales: 10,295,919

December 2021 is the 14th month the Xbox Series X|S has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Xbox Series X|S when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox One by 126,989 units. The Xbox Series X|S has grown its lead in the last 12 months by 1.55 million units. The Xbox Series X|S is currently ahead by 1.52 million units.

The Xbox Series X|S has sold 11.82 million units in 14 months, while the Xbox One sold 10.30 million units. Month 14 for the Xbox Series X|S is December 2021 and for the Xbox One is December 2014.

The Xbox One did not reach current Xbox Series X|S sales until month 19 when it sold 12.08 million units.

The Xbox One crossed 20 million in month 30, 30 million in month 48, and 40 million in month 61. The Xbox One has sold 50.50 million units to date.

Shortages bite hard for PS5, while XS holds up better versus its predecessors, presumably in large part thanks to the S being the only readily available 9th gen console over December.

I'm sure PS5 will catch up to its ancestor once stock allows

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Sales Comparison - December 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S.

The PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S both launched in November 2020. The PlayStation 5 launched November 12, 2020 in North America, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea, and Singapore, and the rest of the world on November 19, 2020. The Xbox Series X|S launched worldwide on November 10, 2020.

PS5 Vs. XSX|S Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 431,217 - PS5

Gap change over last 12 months: 4,676,597 - PS5

Total Lead: 6,030,158 - PS5

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 17,847,989

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 11,817,831

December 2021 is the 14th month the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 5 when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox Series X|S by 431,217 units. In the last 12 months, the PlayStation 5 has outsold the Xbox Series X|S by 4.68 million units. The PlayStation 5 is currently ahead by 6.03 million units.

The PlayStation 5 has sold 17.85 million units in 14 months, while the Xbox Series X|S sold 11.82 million units.

The PlayStation 5 is currently 0.33 million units behind of the PlayStation 4 when you align launches and the Xbox Series X|S is ahead of the Xbox One by 1.52 million units.

Share the article here.

PS5 and Xbox Series X|S vs PS4 and Xbox One Sales Comparison - December 2021

This monthly series compares the combined aligned sales of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S with the combined aligned sales of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

The 14th month for the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S is December 2021, while for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One it is December 2014. This does mean the holiday periods for all four consoles are lined up.

Gap change in latest month: 109,803 – PS4 & XOne

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,277,742 – PS5 & XSX|S

Total Lead: 1,192,392 - PS5 & XSX|S

Total Combined PS5 and Xbox Series X|S Sales: 29,665,820

Total Combined PS4 and Xbox One Sales: 28,473,428

In December 2021, the gap grew in favor of the combined sales of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S in the last month by 109,803 units. In the last 12 months, the PS5 and Xbox Series X|S lead has grown by 41.28 million units. The PS5 and Xbox Series X|S lead by a combined 1.19 million units.

The PS5 and Xbox Series X|S in their first 14 months sold a combined 29.67 million units, while the PS4 and Xbox One have sold a combined 28.47 million units. It took until month 16 for the PS4 and Xbox One to sell as many units as the current PS5 and Xbox Series X|S sales.

The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One have sold a combined 167.04 million units after 98 months.

Xbox Series doing the heavy lifting in the Gen 8 vs Gen 9 comparison, tracking well ahead of its predecessor while PS5 is around on par with PS4.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)