By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Bold prediction: Sony will sell The PS gaming Division before the end of 2024

I get it. That acquisition was shocking, and yes the situation will be more difficult for Playstation from now on.
That said, let's not over react.
Even in the event PlayStation or Sony really get in dire straits, I'm very doubtful the Japanese government would allow an acquisition for a western of (even worse) a Chinese company.
...Maybe Nintendo will buy them out of pity (/jk)

Around the Network
freebs2 said:

I get it. That acquisition was shocking, and yes the situation will be more difficult for Playstation from now on.
Even in the event PlayStation or Sony really get in dire straits, I'm very doubtful the Japanese government would allow an acquisition for a western of (even worse) a Chinese company.

PS division has been western since 2016, and Sony Did sell its western assets before like Sony online Entertainment & GSN mobile just recently, so it’s not far fetched to say that that the same thing could happen to SIE/PS Division 

B6a6es said:
freebs2 said:

PS division has been western since 2016, and Sony Did sell its western assets before like Sony online Entertainment & GSN mobile just recently, so it’s not far fetched to say that that the same thing could happen to SIE/PS Division 

One thing is selling some assets, another is selling the main pillar of company.

In any case, the real world effect of this move is yet to be seen. Maybe this could mean Sony will lose its leadership in the console market, but this doesn't mean necessarily their business will become unprofitable or unsustainable.

B6a6es said:
freebs2 said:

It is absolutely far fetched.

Playstation is Sony's core business pillar. It overlaps now with their movies, anime and tv divisions as is integral to their strategy of bringing their divisions together. Its also a very healthy and profitable division -made over $3 billion in profit last year- and keeps generating record revenue for Sony. 

Those other assets were the fat trimmed off as part of the restructuring of Sony, a restructuring that saw Playstation take the forefront. It would completely go against their entire corporate strategy of the past decade to now do a complete 180 and sell off their most important division. 

No I won't bookmark this.

Around the Network
B6a6es said:
freebs2 said:

It’s a rather stupid prediction, lacking insight and logic, and is obviously presented as a knee-jerk reaction to what MS is currently doing right now.

Last edited by Hynad - on 19 January 2022

If this indeed happens, 2024 is too early. I don't see the PS5 having a shortened life, and I don't see Sony selling PlayStation mid-gen either and another corporate parent seeing the rest of the PS5's life cycle through.

2026-2027 is the earliest this could happen.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

You know in 2014-2015 people thought Microsoft would exist consoles. For 20 years people been saying it's Nintendo.

All because SEGA did. SEGA was more than a bankrupt company for almost a decade. Sony nor MS nor Nintendo are leaving this space anytime soon. Sony only bought studios they work closely with. Nintendo only bought one they worked closely with. Sony might get another studio they work very closely with the last few years. Expand on other ones they already have. I can see Sony bringing back an old studio and building new ones. Sony will also make deals for some games to be exclusive.

Sony isn't going anywhere.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Hynad said:
B6a6es said:

It’s a rather stupid prediction, lacking insight and logic, and is obviously presented as a knee-jerk reaction to what MS is currently doing right now.

that is a rather stupidass reply, actions cause responses

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
Hynad said:

that is a rather stupidass reply, actions cause responses

Do us a favour before making moronass replies and go learn what knee-jerk reaction means.