By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation VR2 | OT | PC support 2024

Tagged games:

Anyone try that puzzle game that is a "free trial"?
I only did like 10 minutes because I'm just looking for demos etc.

It was quite interesting though. Grabbing the pieces and combining them. Then moving it around looking for other pieces etc.

It feels like you are doing a real puzzle but without a risk of losing the pieces etc.

I did not care for the cactaur cowboy game.  The move was too "sudden" and would have gotten me sick quick.

Last edited by Bandorr - on 24 February 2023

You are bound to love Earthbound.

Around the Network
Bandorr said:

Anyone try that puzzle game that is a "free trial"?
I only did like 10 minutes because I'm just looking for demos etc.

It was quite interesting though. Grabbing the pieces and combining them. Then moving it around looking for other pieces etc.

It feels like you are doing a real puzzle but without a risk of losing the pieces etc.

I did not care for the cactaur cowboy game.  The move was too "sudden" and would have gotten me sick quick.

It's a free trial? It just gives me a price here (Canada). Ah on the web store I can select free trial, will give it a try.

I tried Cosmonious high demo, wtf is that. Maybe good when you're on acid, but otherwise avoid lol. Song in the smoke looks simple, but might be good. Survival game, lot of crafting. Fun to start a fire by actually building a teepee with little sticks, add some shavings for kindling, then bang two rocks together to create a spark.

Problem is, GT7, Call of the Mountain and Kayak VR look so good it makes the ported over games look very simple, last generation. However Thumper, Rez Infinite and Tetris Effect look a lot better on PSVR2, so much clearer and brighter colors. Thumper, Area X and Tetris Effect make brilliant use of the HDR Oled screen.

Just got my headset today. Which games are people recommending. Which one sets the wow factor for the device as my wife wants to try it out.

Machiavellian said:

Just got my headset today. Which games are people recommending. Which one sets the wow factor for the device as my wife wants to try it out.

I bet Thumper would be pretty damn trippy on it.

Behold, the power of next gen:

Around the Network

Omg most intense immersive gaming session ever. Last night I was playing Call of the mountain, had my edible for sleeping but continued playing instead. It gets extremely real when the high kicks in. So I started Resident Evil Village. OMFG OMFG OMFG. Everything looks so incredibly real, that game is so over the top (well most are, it stands out a lot more in VR).

It starts off nice and slow with VR training. Which is already kinda spooky with the lighting. Then it throws a ton of information at you, everything has a place on you so you have to reach for the right spot for knife, different guns, map, health potion, flash light. Very cool, but I could already predict me fumbling around when shit inevitably hits the fan. The also each gun has different way to load and don't forget to cock the gun after loading and after every shot with the shotgun and sniper rifle. It is very cool though, the shooting range felt real. And this time I had my good headphones on (plugged into the headset) volume at max. Made me jump when I squeezed the trigger.

Then the game starts all nice, putting your newborn to bed. So weird to hold a baby again on my arm. That triggered lots of happy memories. I took my time exploring the house, then finally put Rose in her crib and went down for dinner. The food sizzling actually made me hungry (that and the munchies of course lol) The the shit hit the fan during dinner, omfg.

It takes a lot to scare me, still didn't really get scared but it did manage to get me to jump lol, and panicky flailing around trying to remember how to reload the gun (Got to cock the barrel with the left hand) while getting eaten. Part of my left hand got bitten off and it looked so real. I'm glad he finally bandages it up later as looking at the bone sticking out of my ring finger was a bit disturbing haha.

So amazing, so immersive. Sure the edible piled onto the immersion, but normally it just makes me lose interest in playing and I end up falling asleep while watching something, which was the plan... I didn't quit playing until 3AM lol. Intense fights (had to turn the difficulty to easy as I was fumbling around so much trying to remember how to grab and reload the gun) getting eaten over and over haha.

So if you're in anyway affected by scary games, do not play this. If you think you are way past media being able to scare you, do try it :) Walking around in the dark in VR with a flashlight only is intense, love it.

It's far improved over RE7 as well thanks to the controllers. RE7 was a Dualshock game, Village makes full use of the sense controllers. Some things still show its controller roots, like X to pick things up instead of picking them up as you do in CotM. Yet most things have VR implementations, like grabbing a latch to unlock a door, pulling out drawers, drag a bookcase to block a door, etc.

It also lets you play as you want and you can remove all comfort options. Sprinting without restrictions feel great! Smooth turning, I settled on speed 8/10. Fast turning. (10/10 is a bit too fast with 60fps render). Tunelling off (that's what RE calls the blinders that come in when you move), movement with the left analog stick. It has different options for how movement works, Forward moves to where you are looking / moves in the direction you were looking when you started moving / moves in the direction your left hand is pointing at.

Moving in the direction your left hand points at works until you get into combat. Then it's all screwed up since you use your hand for lots of things.
Moving in the direction you were looking at when starting to move works while exploring, so you can look around while continuing to move forward, but also screws up in combat, not compatible with circle strafing.
So moving in the direction the headset is facing is still overall the best way, compensate with the analog stick to look around while continuing to move in the same direction. There is no option to move relative to the way your body is oriented. I guess that's not possible without an external camera seeing which way your body is facing, but it could keep track of that while playing seated... Anyway looking right while pressing left keeps you moving 'forward', it works.

What does not work are the subtitles. It completely messes up your brain. The subtitles are projected 'far', which means they are often 'behind' what you're looking at. Not a problem for focus since everything is on the same focal plane, however VR does simulate convergence correctly. Your eyes turn in to see things closer to you. Look at your finger in front of your eyes and the background become two overlapping pictures. Out of focus in reality, in focus in VR, which makes the subtitles overlap themselves and it looks like giant word salad lol. At first I was like, am I that high words are all scrambled, but nope, it's perfectly clear letters mixed up by the left and right image of them overlapping.

Maybe this can be solved with eye tracking as the headset should be able to measure the current convergence of your eyes, relay that back to the game to place the subtitles at the distance you're focused at. Or maybe much more simple, only display the subtitles for the assigned 'dominant' eye.

Anyway, what an experience that was :) Gonna play some more now!

Tried some demos and the RE Village definitely looks and feel pretty good. Liking what I played probably go pick that up today. One problem I have is that I have big hands and those controllers with the ring around them makes for a very cramp fit when trying to access certain buttons. It wasn't very long before my hands were hurting play a few demos.

Just tried call of the mountain and man was I blown away. PSVR was a nice gimmick, but PSVR 2 is like truly amazing. Due to the much better graphics and headset, it really feels like you are a part of the world. Especially with huge drawing distances PS5 allows.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

I was slightly worried the 'high' was making it more immersive last night, ungrounded. Wow wow wow wow, RE Village on PSVR2 is beyond my wildest expectations. Now fully sober I'm fumbling a lot less with all the tools while immersion is still amazing. All the details in the characters and the environment and ways to explore, this is true next gen, next level gaming.

It's best played while standing. Sitting I can't reach for the gun nor map, flashlight with difficulty. You need to be able to get your hands next to your legs, or rather where your legs are while standing. Thus below the couch cushion. (Maybe it changes that if you choose to play sitting at the start, I find standing better anyway and that way you can avoid the immersion braking boundary warnings from showing up, set a play area that includes the couch) I settled on sitting down while exploring, standing up for combat. The reset position button comes in very handy. Or just keep standing.

One thing VR needs to work at is the transition animations. The camera locks / snaps in position when climbing, vaulting over objects / opening doors with X which is a bit jarring (some doors open by actually opening them with your hands, some are mini cut scenes)

@Machiavellian Comfort might get better after getting used to the controllers. My hands were hurting as well at first, much better already. One little annoyance, games haven't settled yet on what button 'hold' is. CotM uses R2/L2 to hold onto things, X to select. RE: Village uses R1/L1 while R2 is select. Anyway at first it took me 5 minuets to figure out how to get my hands into the controllers, so many ways haha. Now I can pick em up no problem, learning curve.

Machiavellian said:

You already tried RE Village, that has the wow factor, as well as CotM, GT7 and Kayak VR. Those are all heavy on motion though, not a good place to start trying it out. I would recommend the Moss/Moss 2 bundle for PSVR. It was already excellent on PSVR, 2nd best next to Astrobot and now looks so much better on PSVR2. It's played sitting, but you can of course stand up to peer into the models at any angle. Easier to control as well, no more jittery moves.

Thumper, Tetris Effect and Rez Infinite upgrades are also very much worth the asking price, yet don't have that you're part of the environment factor. Very cool games in VR, but no tricking you into believing stuff is actually there for the touch. Moss feels like real scale models right in front of you that you can stick your head in and look around.

@Quark The higher resolution opens up new options. Last night I was throwing crates in the river, watch them float away, then shoot them with the bow for target practice :)