By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What is your biggest problem with the Switch right now?

Your biggest problem with the Switch right now?

Underpowered, Games Look Outdated 19 28.36%

Lack of Online Features 3 4.48%

Lack of 3rd Party Games 1 1.49%

Lack of First Party Games 5 7.46%

Lack of Features (Netflix, Menu Themes,ECT) 4 5.97%

Lack of Retro Games 4 5.97%

Games/Services Too Expensive 10 14.93%

Lack of Storage 4 5.97%

Cheap, bad hardware quality 3 4.48%

Other (Comment) 14 20.90%

Total:67
Leynos said:
SvennoJ said:

My biggest problem with it is, no standalone console version. The stand is pretty awkward, I rather just have a Wii-U like box I can plug into the tv out of sight.

I picked bad hardware quality from the poll since I had to send the joy-cons back for stick drift issues. They are also a bit small to be used comfortably. How is the stick drift with the pro controller? Would that be a good choice for BotW2? Can you do all the motion stuff with the pro controller in BotW?

I want a stand alone box as well but my reason is simple. Once the battery can no longer hold charge in Switch. It won't boot. Even docked. Modern USB design I don't understand. Why I bought a PSVita TV. I just want to be able to play my games well after that battery is useful. I don't want to hear someone tell me to replace it. I rather just have something where it's not a worry at all.

You won't be able to play most of your games on your Vita TV

Around the Network

Lack of games that I want over the last two years. Loved Metroid Dread, enjoyed playing through Super Mario 3D All Stars games again. Animal Crossing was fun at a time when the world was shut down and Paper Mario was decent. Those were the only big games that came out that I had any interest in, in the past 2 years. The other big thing would be the lack of its own Mario Kart game. Mario Kart 8 deluxe is a great game but come on some of us already played it for years on the Wii U.

I think its biggest problem is definitely that it is underpowered. It's been almost 5 years and I feel an upgrade would be appreciated. Seeing games like The Witcher 3 and Dying Light on the system functioning at a respectable level is pretty cool, but I think locked frame rates and marginally better visuals would be all the console needs to be all what is presuming to be.

Getting at thst point seems to still be somewhat difficult, though. The Steam Deck seems to not be fully on the level of a PS4 despite being 400 dollars at thr least? I don't have idea there, but the desire of a "portable PS4" seems to still be out of reach at affordable prices.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

I find the lack of a solid retro gaming service disappointing. Nintendo has the biggest legacy in videogame history. Period. And their NSO "solution" is an insult to that legacy both in terms of content/value and in the way some of its games are represented (specially on the N64 games).

I just want to stop having to clean the dust of my old systems to play retro games because Nintendo doesn't want to offer them to me on the Switch. It's been 5 years and only three platforms have been released, and the two veteran ones are still missing some key first party titles (and of course almost every interesting third party one as well). I see the Wii U and while it is missing many games, it's a joy to be able to play so many classic Nintendo games in one place! Why can't they do the same in a newer console, almost 10 years later?

Valdney said:

I have said this many times already, but I will keep saying it whenever I have the chance to, because it bothers me so much: lack of controller options in handheld mode. I CANNOT, for the love of God, understand, that to this day, we have only one option of joycons from Nintendo. I cannot emphasize enough how much I would appreciate the option to have some type of "retro-joycon" where the analog sticks would be completely gone, that way I could play my fighting games or 2d fast paced games in general, comfortably in handheld mode. This is probably the biggest gripe I've had with a console for a long, long time.
It's a FREAKING attachable controller, more options should be an obvious thing.

Have you tried the Hori D-pad JoyCon or the very comfortable Hori Splitpad Pro?

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/08/hardware_review_hori_d-pad_joy-con_controller_for_nintendo_switch

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/10/hardware_review_big_hands_meet_the_hori_split_pad_pro_for_switch

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
Leynos said:

I want a stand alone box as well but my reason is simple. Once the battery can no longer hold charge in Switch. It won't boot. Even docked. Modern USB design I don't understand. Why I bought a PSVita TV. I just want to be able to play my games well after that battery is useful. I don't want to hear someone tell me to replace it. I rather just have something where it's not a worry at all.

You won't be able to play most of your games on your Vita TV

My games all work. Except Gravity Rush

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

So many cons right now.
-My Joycons drift (luckily I have a pro controller)

-Lack of storage space. I have too many games so that's on me. I need to bite the bullet and buy a 1TB card...

-Online is still garbage.

-Never got a lot of features that I wanted like folders and wallpapers. I actually don't care about the lack of a browser and streaming apps these days. I don't think I'd even use them at this point. I've even dented them all from my Xbox.

That's about it, I guess. But Nintendo's games are still the highlight so I still love it. A little more power would be nice but it's not necessary.

Crappy online
Lack of easy cloud storage for some titles (Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Splatoon 2)
Eshop could be improved with a rating system, reviews, better sessions, etc
Legacy 1st party games locked in a very bad subscription model
More beautiful OS

Not true complains about games, there are good games and bad games just like any other successful system

EDIT: And how could I forget joycon drift? So annoying smh 

Conina said:
Valdney said:

I have said this many times already, but I will keep saying it whenever I have the chance to, because it bothers me so much: lack of controller options in handheld mode. I CANNOT, for the love of God, understand, that to this day, we have only one option of joycons from Nintendo. I cannot emphasize enough how much I would appreciate the option to have some type of "retro-joycon" where the analog sticks would be completely gone, that way I could play my fighting games or 2d fast paced games in general, comfortably in handheld mode. This is probably the biggest gripe I've had with a console for a long, long time.
It's a FREAKING attachable controller, more options should be an obvious thing.

Have you tried the Hori D-pad JoyCon or the very comfortable Hori Splitpad Pro?

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/08/hardware_review_hori_d-pad_joy-con_controller_for_nintendo_switch

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/10/hardware_review_big_hands_meet_the_hori_split_pad_pro_for_switch

I keep forgetting to get the Hori Splitpad Pro for my Switch OLED, maybe tomorrow i'll get the black one if i could.

The Hori D-pad joyCon is surprisingly still selling out quickly or let's say it outsold the OEM left JoyCon here, i couldn't find it anywhere else D:

SKMBlake said:
Zippy6 said:

This just isn't true. Tegra X2 which was developed in 2016 had double the bandwidth of the Tegra X1. So if bandwidth in X1 is capable of running a piece of software at 30fps then doubling it can run it at 60fps.

It is more than viable now to create a device that performs twice as fast as the original Switch in every aspect, and thus twice the framerate and 60fps BOTW2.

The math isn't that easy. For eg, the PS4 is 10x more powerful than the PS3, but wasn't able to run GTA V at 60fps.

I dunno, I can def see a new Switch where the games run at 4K and or more stable framerate, or even fps or 2K games running at 60, but an open world at 60fps at an acceptable graphic level still seems far from a technical perspective.

But hey, we saw modders running the Witcher 3 at 55-60fps at 540p so who knows.

The issue with the Xbox One and PS4 is they have very weak CPUs. That's why, even last gen ports, had issues hitting 60fps. You sort of see this play out with the Xbox One X versus the Xbox Series S. The Xbox One X has the edge on Series S in several aspects (More RAM, More Bandwidth, More Powerful GPU*) but Series S has substantially more powerful CPU and significantly faster storage. I've seen recent games run at higher resolution on X1X than Series S but 1X has 30fps cap and the Series S often has a 60fps cap.

*Xbox One X GPU doesn't have hardware Raytracing support.

Last edited by Darc Requiem - on 29 December 2021