By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Power On: The Story of Xbox

So I'm an Xbox guy. I can't deny it anymore. I love them. There's a documentary on the history of Xbox available on YouTube and it's actually REALLY entertaining and really goes in depth. It doesn't hesitate to paint Xbox and Microsoft in a bad light.

It also isn't exactly accurate... Anyway, check it out and enjoy. I'm on episode four (of six) and I'm noticing some discrepancies but don't let that stop you. Check it out. Enjoy it and let's discuss what we watched!

Episode One: https://youtu.be/AJYsA1jXf60

Around the Network

I watched the first 2 episodes, I am in the middle of the third one and...

This is exactly why I don't enjoy the "Xbox brand":
- the main target was to respond to Sony's claim about the PS2 replacing PC in living rooms
- then it became all about beating Sony in their own field
- and then it was about entering in the lucrative gaming business to make money out of it, with unlimited funds from the richest company in the world

And yes, we heard about Samus the passionnate nerd who build up a prototype that could boot Windows in 3 seconds, but yeah, overall they made obvious why the Xbox brand isn't loved as much as Nintendo.

d21lewis said:

So I'm an Xbox guy. I can't deny it anymore. I love them.

You're dead to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

d21lewis said:

So I'm an Xbox guy. I can't deny it anymore. I love them. There's a documentary on the history of Xbox available on YouTube and it's actually REALLY entertaining and really goes in depth. It doesn't hesitate to paint Xbox and Microsoft in a bad light.

It also isn't exactly accurate... Anyway, check it out and enjoy. I'm on episode four (of six) and I'm noticing some discrepancies but don't let that stop you. Check it out. Enjoy it and let's discuss what we watched!

Episode One: https://youtu.be/AJYsA1jXf60

Spoiler!
Don Mattrick had some major balls to agree to be interviewed. His tenure as head of Xbox almost single handedly brought the brand crashing to the ground, and that's not including the time of the Red Ring of Death since he wasn't head of Xbox yet! Which is saying a lot lol

It was certainly an enjoyable documentary series although I would've preferred it had been produced by an independent third party as you can clearly see the bias at times despite them openly joking about Xbox's mistakes in the past. Which is good seeing them own up to it all at least. Good thing they weren't charging for this documentary! 

Overall though, there was very little Xbox could do with this series that would actually have them be viewed in a more positive light just because of Microsoft backing the brand. Especially considering at that time Microsoft was viewed as the big bully, and rightfully so, in the tech industry with the monopoly trials and that infamous 1998 deposition of Bill Gates. It was a great story of the small group of nobodies in the company that came up with the idea for the Xbox but business being business, Microsoft felt threatened, like any other company would, when Sony claimed the PS2 would replace the PC, thus turning a feel good story into a bit of a soured one.

Regardless though, the original Xbox will always have a special place in my heart. It was a fantastic console with some amazing games that created sooooooo many timeless memories. I'll never forget my first Halo LAN party! 

Last edited by G2ThaUNiT - on 15 December 2021

Signalstar said:
d21lewis said:

So I'm an Xbox guy. I can't deny it anymore. I love them.

You're dead to me.

Wait! I can explain!!

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Signalstar said:

You're dead to me.

Wait! I can explain!!

Ah a zombie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Who's got the Power?

SKMBlake said:

I watched the first 2 episodes, I am in the middle of the third one and...

This is exactly why I don't enjoy the "Xbox brand":
- the main target was to respond to Sony's claim about the PS2 replacing PC in living rooms
- then it became all about beating Sony in their own field
- and then it was about entering in the lucrative gaming business to make money out of it, with unlimited funds from the richest company in the world

And yes, we heard about Samus the passionnate nerd who build up a prototype that could boot Windows in 3 seconds, but yeah, overall they made obvious why the Xbox brand isn't loved as much as Nintendo.

I mean, their goals and reason for entering the market aren't something to remember fondly, but tbh, I don't believe Sony's should be either, because if you remember, they only entered the market in a big way because they felt "betrayed" by another Japanese company (Nintendo), which they took Japanese levels of offence to (because that's just like the Japanese to go all Samurai period levels of pissed off, seriously, I'm not joking, history tells you how easy it was to offend them), and decided they wanted to crush their would-be partner.

The part about "replacing PC's" isn't exactly something fond to look back on, considering that was Sony wanted to crush another market.

MS's entrance wasn't noble, but neither was Sony's. Nintendo is remembered fondly because they were there when the market crashed, to pick up the pieces, while the other two were so hell bent on destroying each other and PC gaming (which is hilarious, when you look at PC gaming now, and how the other two, besides Nintendo, have adhere to the market they once sought to do away with/left behind).

Last edited by Chazore - on 16 December 2021

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

I am enjoying it very much. And I think it's a wonderful marketing action. Xbox aims to build a brand as beloved as Nintendo or Sony. They know that's what they need to achieve next.

Chazore said:

, I don't believe Sony's should be either, because if you remember, they only entered the market in a big way because they felt "betrayed" by another Japanese company (Nintendo), which they took Japanese levels of offence to (because that's just like the Japanese to go all Samurai period levels of pissed off, seriously, I'm not joking, history tells you how easy it was to offend them), and decided they wanted to crush their would-be partner.

Well yes and no, they designed a full working console for Nintendo that didn't materialize over fee disputes. So using their prototype, removing the SNES cartridge part, and making an actual console isn't the same, I mean they spent money on the prototype.