By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts November 2021 Discussion Thread

Wow! What a drop.

Around the Network

Didn't expect PS4 to take the lead considering PS5 was around 700k ahead just a month ago.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 13 December 2021

Man, even with the shortages, that PS4/PS5 comparison is pretty disappointing.

I don't think we'll ever again hear the phrase, "PS5 is the fastest selling system of all time." It's going to stay behind the PS4 until the Wii or some other system steps up to take the mantle for X months after launch.

Man Xbox series is going to have a great holiday season. I am totally expecting them to exlipse ps5 sales in the US. Microsoft has readily abaiLble series s stock on Amazon and GameStop. You can’t buy a PlayStation 4 or 5 right now really.

mM
Around the Network

Limited holiday stock may hurt Xbox Series a little vs the Xbone, but it's built up enough of a lead by now to cushion the blow somewhat.
Series S has really paid off for the XS this holiday by allowing them to have the only 9th gen console readily available.

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

Limited holiday stock may hurt Xbox Series a little vs the Xbone, but it's built up enough of a lead by now to cushion the blow somewhat.
Series S has really paid off for the XS this holiday by allowing them to have the only 9th gen console readily available.

Is that really the case though? The whole thing looks more like the Switch Lite rise in Japan in early 2020 when an SKU that wasn't very desired in the first place was temporarily able to sell better than the main model due to an ongoing misguided ratio in production capacities. In other words, had Microsoft produced Series X and Series S with an 80:20 ratio instead of the likely 50:50 ratio they've been doing, they would have sold all Xboxes regardless and have an easier time doing so, because the SKU with the significantly bigger demand would have been better stocked all along.

A thought connected to that is that the PS5 demand we've been seeing all year may also be a direct consequence of the low number of Series X consoles being around. It's no secret that for a lot of gamers third party multiplats are the most important games, so PS5 and XSX are interchangeable, at least in the USA and the UK. We can tell from the numbers during the respective first year that there were more PS4s and XB1s combined available than PS5s and XSXes combined; the wrongly estimated XSS demand and subsequent production ratio is the cause for that. While the conventional wisdom is that the PS5 is in higher demand than the PS4, this may actually not be completely true as a lot of people who couldn't get an XSX will have settled for an easier to find PS5 all year long.

I think you have a point here.  I do think demand is outstripping supply for the high powered (and high priced) console like PS5 and Series X.

However, I'm not sure if there is a 1 to 1 conversion between making a Series X vs. a Series S.  Nintendo seems to be able to make a lot more systems than either Sony or Microsoft.  I am not sure why this is, but I would assume that is either 1) because their chips are of a lower power/cost and therefore it is easier to have more of these parts available or 2) it is a different size chip and therefore they are not competing with Sony and Microsoft for the same pool of chips (or maybe a combination of both).  Either way the same the argument applies to the Series S vs. Series X.  It may be easier to manufacture more Series S systems, because it has a weaker processor than the Series X.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 19 December 2021

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

Is that really the case though? The whole thing looks more like the Switch Lite rise in Japan in early 2020 when an SKU that wasn't very desired in the first place was temporarily able to sell better than the main model due to an ongoing misguided ratio in production capacities. In other words, had Microsoft produced Series X and Series S with an 80:20 ratio instead of the likely 50:50 ratio they've been doing, they would have sold all Xboxes regardless and have an easier time doing so, because the SKU with the significantly bigger demand would have been better stocked all along.

A thought connected to that is that the PS5 demand we've been seeing all year may also be a direct consequence of the low number of Series X consoles being around. It's no secret that for a lot of gamers third party multiplats are the most important games, so PS5 and XSX are interchangeable, at least in the USA and the UK. We can tell from the numbers during the respective first year that there were more PS4s and XB1s combined available than PS5s and XSXes combined; the wrongly estimated XSS demand and subsequent production ratio is the cause for that. While the conventional wisdom is that the PS5 is in higher demand than the PS4, this may actually not be completely true as a lot of people who couldn't get an XSX will have settled for an easier to find PS5 all year long.

I didn't mean it so much as there being a lot of demand for the Series S, more just that its the only readily available 9th gen console these holidays which has given them a boost compared to the PS5 which is just flat out unavailable. If they could get a Series X or even a PS5 I'm sure a lot of Series S buyer would have gotten that instead of the S, but I don't think MS cares why people buy an Xbox as long they buy one.

trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

PS5 and Xbox Series X|S vs PS4 and Xbox One Sales Comparison - November 2021

This monthly series compares the combined aligned sales of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S with the combined aligned sales of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

The 13th month for the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S is November 2021, while for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One it is November 2014. This does mean the holiday periods for all four consoles are lined up.

Gap change in latest month: 1,436,235 – PS4 & XOne

Gap change over last 12 months: 431,112 – PS5 & XSX|S

Total Lead: 1,265,601 - PS5 & XSX|S

Total Combined PS5 and Xbox Series X|S Sales: 25,114,889

Total Combined PS4 and Xbox One Sales: 23,849,288

In November 2021, the gap grew in favor of the combined sales of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S in the last month by 1.44 million units. In the last 12 months, the PS5 and Xbox Series X|S lead has grown by 431,112 units. The PS5 and Xbox Series X|S lead by a combined 2.68 million units.

The PS5 and Xbox Series X|S in their first 13 months sold a combined 25.11 million units, while the PS4 and Xbox One have sold a combined 23.85 million units. It took until month 15 for the PS4 and Xbox One to sell as many units as the current PS5 and Xbox Series X|S sales.

The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One have sold a combined 167.20 million units after 97 months.

The way things are going, 9th gen will probably lose their aligned lead over 8th gen this holiday, due to shortages, or at least have a lot of their lead wiped out. Still, they should start to gain ground again next year once the rush dies down.

To think there was a time Switch was tracking 11 million behind the Wii, and now it's going to outsell it in under 5 years.

And people kept predicting Switch would have a similar trajectory.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 23 December 2021