By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Studies: Many long-time gamers searching for meaning.

I discovered this article just now in scrounging through my daily Digg emails from last month and it just...it just captured exactly where I am so well. Let me quote a key excerpt:

Spoiler!

When the first episodes of Life is Strange were released in 2015, reviewers likened them to a Stephen King novel and to “Twin Peaks.” The series was widely embraced, and video game researchers say it is indicative of a shift in the industry. Historically, video games have focused on what characters do below the neck — things like kicking, running, and shooting, Jesse Schell, a game designer and gaming professor at Carnegie Mellon University, wrote in an email to Undark. Movies and books, meanwhile, were more likely to explore the inner workings of characters’ minds. But more recently, game designers have turned their attention above the neck, too, creating games with complicated plots and emotionally nuanced characters.

That's probably not surprising. Research indicates that many players, particularly longtime gamers who grew up in the 1980s and 90s, now crave games that make them feel something — not just happiness and excitement, but also sadness, guilt, shame, and remorse, said Nick Bowman, a gaming researcher at Texas Tech University. In short, they want the kind of meaningful experience more commonly associated with novels and film. Thanks to technological advancements in graphics and sounds, developers are creating games to meet that demand.

And a modest but growing body of communications and psychology research shows that players do, indeed, feel a wide range of emotions while playing games like Life is Strange. Engaging with unpleasant topics can cause a player to reflect on important real-life issues and “grow as a person,” said Daniel Possler, a media researcher at Hanover University of Music, Drama, and Media in Germany. In fact, some research suggests video games are uniquely suited to provide these emotional experiences because they are competitive, interactive, and often social. Still, it is unclear how long these emotions last, or whether feeling them has a downside.

That's me. I'm a long-time gamer who grew up in the '80s and '90s who today values things like emotional range and connecting to characters even more than "fun" per se. Gaming is like a form of therapy for me anymore. I use it that way, for like trying to understand life and find healing and a sense of meaning. I know lots of you prolly regard me as the forum weirdo who likes all those artsy offbeat games nobody plays and uses the term "heartfelt" to excess (), but I just wanted to show that I am not totally alone in my current approach to this medium.

The article highlights games like Life is Strange, Shadow of the Colossus, and Red Dead Redemption II as examples of art-oriented games and, you know, I don't think all of those are really on the same tier of impact for me, but it captures the crux of what I value the most in games these days. When I first start playing in 1987 my value system was like...

Entertainment: 10
Connection: 0

Now it's like:

Connection: 6
Entertainment: 4

I guess it's just like I get bored with pure entertainment type of material anymore because I've just done so much of that over the years, and I feel like the world is a fairly empty place that I need to understand better to justify living in almost.

Well, it's not too often that research about video game players captures where someone like me is, so I just wanted to highlight this research because it's interesting to me. Does anyone else here feel like this?

Last edited by Jaicee - on 11 December 2021

Around the Network

I think emotional connection to games is big for a lot of people now. It's why action/adventure games with strong stories are so prevalent for winning awards and goty. Because games that have deep stories and characters that connect with you are the games you remember and mean the most to you, compared to something like mario bros that may be a great fun gameplay, but it's not something that makes you think or impacts the way you view life. lol.

Some people want more than just solid gameplay.

Telltale's The Walking Dead is Connection: 10 for me.

Have you played The Big Con yet? I loved it, you probably would too. Road 96 is very good as well (if you focus on the characters you meet). I also recently finished Tlou2, what a brave story by the developers! Really awesome how they made that. However I couldn't get into Tell me Why, too slow maybe. Life is Strange True colors is on my to play list and looking forward to the next Kate Walker game (Siberia: The world before)

And you're right about connection. In FS2020 I searched (and found) the birth home of my mother in Indonesia and explored the town in detail in Google street view while flying over in FS2020. 20 years ago I just flew under bridges and crashed into towers.

I had a similar thought not too long ago. It was that as gaming as a medium develops (or as gamers mature (or regress, depending on your point of view!)) there becomes demand for a more profound or meta experience. I think it's similar to how film developed and you begin to see boutique art-house films which arguably had worse acting than higher budget films but prioritised the style and authenticity for the director's vision.

You don't need to look far to find people who scoff at Fast and Furious and other crowd-pleasing films, regardless of the objective quality of their chase scenes and acting, due to some perceived baseness or lack of authenticity to life or a particular vision of it. So I think it makes sense that there is a parallel in gaming. I know this isn't the exact same point as you are making, but I hope you'll agree it's in a similar vein.

That said, it's not something I necessarily feel too much myself. I won't bore you with too much of my personal philosophy, but I have always been sceptical of the artsy types. To borrow from one of Bob Dylan's best songs - My Back Pages - "I'm younger than that now".

Around the Network

Emotional connection > Mindless jumping and slashing.

Tho, to be fair, "Mindless jumping and slashing" is sometimes a lot of fun. 

This is really interesting and never really thought about it. I grew up gaming starting in the mid to late 90s, but I just can't seem to enjoy playing the big modern multiplayer only games like Apex Legends, CoD Warzone, League of Legends, or Fortnite. My brother in laws and their friends I play with are much younger in age and those are all the games they play and they can't imagine playing anything else. They'll just hop on to whatever big gaming trend is happening at that time. I played some of these games with them, and it was fun for a little bit, but I very quickly got over them. I figured it just wasn't my cup of tea.

I'll find myself playing games like The Outer Worlds, 2017 Prey, Witcher 3, Breath of the Wild, Disco Elysium, Bioshock, and been playing a ton of Mass Effect Legendary Edition. I just enjoyed these games more. Part of growing up I guess.

A few of my biggest games I'm looking forward to is Elden Ring, Starfield, and God of War on PC lol

This is in interesting topic. I’m actually on the other side of things. A great story or cast of characters are, for me, sort of meaningless without a fun gameplay experience underpinning them.

As someone born in 1983 who cut his teeth on arcade-style games with only the shallowest semblance of story, I actually feel a little alienated by some of the modern games that prioritize storytelling and emotion above all else.

That said, I completely appreciate the folks who think otherwise. There are more than enough games in the industry to satisfy both sides :)

Jaicee said:

I discovered this article just now in scrounging through my daily Digg emails from last month and it just...it just captured exactly where I am so well. Let me quote a key excerpt:

Spoiler!

When the first episodes of Life is Strange were released in 2015, reviewers likened them to a Stephen King novel and to “Twin Peaks.” The series was widely embraced, and video game researchers say it is indicative of a shift in the industry. Historically, video games have focused on what characters do below the neck — things like kicking, running, and shooting, Jesse Schell, a game designer and gaming professor at Carnegie Mellon University, wrote in an email to Undark. Movies and books, meanwhile, were more likely to explore the inner workings of characters’ minds. But more recently, game designers have turned their attention above the neck, too, creating games with complicated plots and emotionally nuanced characters.

That's probably not surprising. Research indicates that many players, particularly longtime gamers who grew up in the 1980s and 90s, now crave games that make them feel something — not just happiness and excitement, but also sadness, guilt, shame, and remorse, said Nick Bowman, a gaming researcher at Texas Tech University. In short, they want the kind of meaningful experience more commonly associated with novels and film. Thanks to technological advancements in graphics and sounds, developers are creating games to meet that demand.

And a modest but growing body of communications and psychology research shows that players do, indeed, feel a wide range of emotions while playing games like Life is Strange. Engaging with unpleasant topics can cause a player to reflect on important real-life issues and “grow as a person,” said Daniel Possler, a media researcher at Hanover University of Music, Drama, and Media in Germany. In fact, some research suggests video games are uniquely suited to provide these emotional experiences because they are competitive, interactive, and often social. Still, it is unclear how long these emotions last, or whether feeling them has a downside.

That's me. I'm a long-time gamer who grew up in the '80s and 90s who today values things like emotional range and connecting to characters even more than "fun" per se. Gaming is like a form of therapy for me anymore. I use it that way, for like trying to understand life and find healing and a sense of meaning. I know lots of you prolly regard me as the forum weirdo who likes all those artsy offbeat games nobody plays and uses the term "heartfelt" to excess (), but I just wanted to show that I am not totally alone in my current approach to this medium.

The article highlights games like Life is Strange, Shadow of the Colossus, and Red Dead Redemption II as examples of art-oriented games and, you know, I don't think all of those are really on the same tier of impact for me, but it captures the crux of what I value the most in games these days. When I first start playing in 1987 my value system was like...

Entertainment: 10
Connection: 0

Now it's like:

Connection: 6
Entertainment: 4

I guess it's just like I get bored with pure entertainment type of material anymore because I've just done so much of that over the years, and I feel like the world is a fairly empty place that I need to understand better to justify living in almost.

Well, it's not too often that research about video game players captures where someone like me is, so I just wanted to highlight this research because it's interesting to me. Does anyone else here feel like this?

This one is actually pretty interesting due to the review I'm currently writing. Not going to spoil what it is, but I was pretty torn between how much I enjoyed the game based on the feelings I received and how much I enjoyed the game from a gameplay standpoint. 

I think this is why I enjoyed TLoU so much. As a game, it's serviceable. It's not great but it's not mediocre. It's good. But the story is just so well done that I'm absolutely enthralled. I don't think I'm quite at a Connection: 6 and Entertainment: 4, as I still think that gameplay overall is more important, but I could see it being a Connection: 4 Entertainment: 6 depending on the direction of the game. 

dx11332sega said:

My search for meaning is different , I figured If I keep playing games I'll never evolve as a person and still be someone who is poor and not have my own damn home , I'm still living with my mom and the stress is getting major I don't wanna battle for a small notoriety like my world records or glitch making I found out all this time I spent doing all that meant nothing in the end I am still poor and I crave for a better life the meaning of life is hollow if ones notoriety is silent by the masses , I wanna quitting gaming and going for Game art and game design but before I do that I must feel what it really is like to party and socialize , because I've been a gamer my whole life and the most I've gotten was 272 subscribers in my youtube , with multiple world records fuck me. I'm going to do other hobbies.

The two are perfectly compatible. For me gaming is a reward I get to enjoy whenever I'm in full control of my time. 

Also the idea that the grass is greener with some other hobby is often a way to distract yourself from whatever challenge is really bothering you. Sounds like you want success - there's only one way to get it! But no need to turn your back on something you love doing in that frustration.