By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Hellblade 2 VGAs trailer

Zippy6 said:

I've noticed hellblade 2 getting a hell of a lot of attention online, which is weird to me as the first game got an 81 on meta and took a whole year to sell a million copies over PS4+PC+XBO. So it wasn't critically acclaimed nor did it sell well. But the level of attention this game gets seems far more than that. I guess once you become a first party title you suddenly get a lot more attention.

On this site, it got a lot of attention. A lot of it due to CGI Quality's thread. I bought it for PS4 (Pro) and then again for Xbox One (X) and then AGAIN when it came out for Switch. Yeah, I'm sure being first party has more than a little to do with the recognition it's getting now but some of us sincerely think the first was incredible and after seeing this, I'm super hyped for the second!

And I've always been a fan of Ninja Theory. From Heavenly Sword to Enslaved and even DMC, I've said they make the most beautiful games in the industry. They just never get the acclaim that they deserve.

Around the Network

Yeah, I am a huge fan of NT. Since they first appeared with Heavenly sword, I always thought the studio has top tier talent but always had a few elements missing. I have played all their games and enjoyed them but could not get into Hellblade. I will give it another go, maybe I did not get far enough into the game so will plunk down and give it a real try.

Zippy6 said:

I've noticed hellblade 2 getting a hell of a lot of attention online, which is weird to me as the first game got an 81 on meta and took a whole year to sell a million copies over PS4+PC+XBO. So it wasn't critically acclaimed nor did it sell well. But the level of attention this game gets seems far more than that. I guess once you become a first party title you suddenly get a lot more attention.

Because the og Hellblade had a team of only 15 people working on it and now it's under the MS's umbrella with a much larger team and the budget.

Last edited by Kristof81 - on 10 December 2021

Not my kind of game though definitely one of a few next gen only games in terms of visuals. Looks stunning. If only they toned down or turned off the chromatic aberration - hate that effect (in games) with a passion.

Last edited by hinch - on 10 December 2021

Definitely got me excited! Graphics are insane and atmosphere seems top notch. Of course, it's hard to tell exactly how the game will play, but I'm confident it will be better than the 1st game considering the scale and budget they have for this.

Around the Network

looks pretty then again so did part one and I stopped playing after 30 mins

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Zippy6 said:

Part of it is going first party, no doubt. But there's lot of titles where you can look back and say "well...they weren't really that big of a deal," but then over time they develop cult following, and those fans can be very vocal online. Then, with the way the internet works, that impression of mass anticipation can often lead to real mass anticipation, because suddenly everyone is seeing something trend, and they all wanna get in on it, etc.

The first one was good game for its price. You can definetly see where the budget impacted the game like enemy variants and gameplay mechanics. Intereting to see what they could do with more resourses.

This trailer at least looks like a scripted scene so it does not tell me anything about the gameplay. Still looking foward to it.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

axumblade said:
Zippy6 said:

Despite Hellblade not selling amazing nor being a Game of the Year, it still managed to get quite a few technical awards. 

I also wouldn't say it's specifically it's just because they are 1st party that it's getting more attention but moreso because Microsoft are helping to fund the game. Psychonauts 2 was not going well but when Microsoft bought Double Fine and started investing in the game, it gave them the means to actually finish it and make one of the best games of the year. 

That is true, perhaps a similar thing would have happened if a third party publisher was involved and funding the game with a better budget... though then again most gaming forum dwellers would go "EA? GROSS, UBISOFT? GROSS?" so maybe not... lol.

Being a gamepass game it might be impossible to judge how much better it sells than the original, but I'm sure it'll get a lot more players.

d21lewis said:

My Xbox Series should be here by December 27 but, while playing Halo Infinite on my Xbox One X, I said "Why do I need a 9th gen console when 8th gen looks almost as good?

I'm going to shut the fuck up now. This game looks absolutely incredible. The best I've ever seen!

No your not, but what you are going to do is keep playing on Xbox One X and post that 9th gen console you don't need to me UNDERSTOOD!!

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot