By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - CONTROVERSIAL OPINION: Characters to Remove and Replace in The Next Smash Bros.

This is relevant: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/12/a-new-smash-bros-would-need-a-smaller-roster-admits-sakurai#reply

Around the Network

I'll just leave this here

With how big Ultimate is, I foresee Nintendo skipping this series one generation just so that they can reset it. Fans could get mad, sure, but it'll give us a break from this game until we start to miss it, and settle for a reset. I'd say skip Switch 2.0 and restart with the next gen after that.

As far as Waluigi go, I doubt he'll ever be in this game as a fighter. Although, knowing how trollish Nintendo can be/get, I would really like to see a surprise add and show that Master Hand(s) are actually Waluigi's hands.

PSwii60 said:

With how big Ultimate is, I foresee Nintendo skipping this series one generation just so that they can reset it. Fans could get mad, sure, but it'll give us a break from this game until we start to miss it, and settle for a reset. I'd say skip Switch 2.0 and restart with the next gen after that.

As far as Waluigi go, I doubt he'll ever be in this game as a fighter. Although, knowing how trollish Nintendo can be/get, I would really like to see a surprise add and show that Master Hand(s) are actually Waluigi's hands.

I'm having a hard time seeing Nintendo skipping a generation on a series that has sold 25+ million units in its latest iteration and is guaranteed to move consoles, not to mention helps justify a paid online service. It's not about fans getting mad, it's about money left on the table and consoles left on store shelves.

PSwii60 said:

I think that long of a gap is really unrealistic unless Nintendo really wants to gamble and go the GTA V route with Ultimate. 

Switch 2 won't come out until at least 2023, and 2024 is looking pretty likely. So if we only get an enhanced port of Ultimate on Switch 2, that means we'll have to wait until 2030 at least for Ultimate's sequel on Switch 3. 

Nintendo hit a gold mine with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, but there's no guarantee that would work with Ultimate. Also keep in mind the base version of MK8 was on Wii U. While it had a fantastic attach rate for the Wii U, the Wii U was a failure. Ultimate is a new game on a smash hit (pun intended) piece of hardware. I don't know if Ultimate DX on Switch 2 would equal or even sell 67% of what Ultimate's lifetime sales will be. 

It's realistic that fighters are going to be cut. Third-parties aren't going to give the Smash team and Nintendo rights in perpetuity for their characters in every future Smash installment. I think the only third party characters in it for the long haul (or close to it) are Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man. There's also plenty of dead-weight on the first-party side like Pichu, Dr. Mario, Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt, and others. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 144 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

... I just want a new story mode alla Subspace Emissary where Nintendo characters interact with each other with platforming, puzzles, battles, bosses and cinematics.

It doesn't have to be a Smash game. Just call it Nintendo Quest or something like that. Make it at least 30 hours long, put in customization, unlockable weapons and abilities, dozens of unlockable Nintendo characters, give it a kickass soundtrack, secret bosses and dungeons/challenges, co-op multiplayer... And I won't need to ask for a new Smash Bros. ever again.

I actually agree it’s most likely unlikely they’d skip a generation. I suppose it’ll all come down to how involved Sakurai is with the next installment.

Some of those characters the OP wants to cut are the coolest characters. Terrible idea to cut the coolest 3rd party characters.

I think next Smash should be something entirely different. No idea what that would be, but it just seems like it'd be weird to release another Smash in the exact same style after we already got Ultimate which feels impossible to top, and just continuing to add more characters doesn't seem like a good idea either.

Maybe on Switch 2 re-release Ultimate with updated graphics and all the DLC included - that'd be an easy way to sell 10 mil copies without much effort, but then start a whole new style of Smash with a new game. As Dulfite said, a new phase of Smash. But i don't know what direction that should take.

Hell, a crazy idea is to just incorporate Smash into Nintendo's Online Service as the final Smash game they ever make. It would make their online service a must have premier service and they could just keep adding characters, levels, story modes, etc to the game over time, without needing to keep trying to up the ante each generation compared with the previous game. It could be an ever-expanding Smash game, and throw in the seasons concept to keep it fresh every 6 months or something. I actually would like this more than them trying to reinvent the franchise and take it away from what we all love, or continuing to trying to just redo what they've already done but with more characters every gen.

Next Smash could keep the massive roster but be Power Stone.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I say start from scratch with a completely new roster, mix the gameplay up.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--