PlayStation 51.20m
PlayStation Vita1.18m
Wonderswan0.82m
Xbox0.38m
Xbox 3600.31m
Neo Geo Pocket0.17m
Xbox Series0.13m
Xbox One0.06m

IMO, this really just puts into perspective how poorly Xbox always has and likely always will sell in Japan. Four out of five of the worst selling consoles (that are listed here) after 58 weeks are Xbox. I do not know how MS could really improve their circumstances there. 

It would have to be something as outlandish as MS buying SEGA and doing a Japan only brand reboot where they sell rebadged Xboxes as Sega devices, along with paying Japanese retailers to carry their devices again. 

none of what I’ve described will ever happen though, SEGA wouldn’t sell to MS and I’m not sure MS would be interested in buying. On top of that I’m not sure Sony or Microsoft even care about the Japanese market anymore. 

Around the Network
Doctor_MG said:

IMO, this really just puts into perspective how poorly Xbox always has and likely always will sell in Japan. Four out of five of the worst selling consoles (that are listed here) after 58 weeks are Xbox. I do not know how MS could really improve their circumstances there. 

Basically lol, there's celebrations that Xbox Series has already sold more than XBO lifetime, but then you realise it's still the 2nd worst selling console in Japan of all time launch aligned (at least for the systems we have data for).

Zippy6 said:
Doctor_MG said:

Basically lol, there's celebrations that Xbox Series has already sold more than XBO lifetime, but then you realise it's still the 2nd worst selling console in Japan of all time launch aligned (at least for the systems we have data for).

Maybe it would be above the Neo Geo Pocket without shortages so that's something lol.

I also find it rather interesting how the original Xbox's sales just declined completely after this point, with only around 39% more sales lifetime after this point, while even the series at the very least doubled.

Norion said:
Zippy6 said:

Maybe it would be above the Neo Geo Pocket without shortages so that's something lol.

Its good to have goals it will surely sell another 40k in the next half dozen or so years  hopefully > maybe > fingers crossed, if I was the X box Series I would have  my eye on my grandfathers sales record, but  I'm sure at the next Christmas dinner old  Pops would troll them by pointing out that it took both  grandkids to beat  him and that would start a family argument with the kids saying you were less than a year old and they gave you a pensioner card to use on blue dragon lost  odyssey etc, but then Xbox one would walk in and the grandkids and pops would look at him and start laughing.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 23 December 2021

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network

Numbers have been updated with the latest week. Notably PS4+XBO has now overtaken PS5+XSX launch aligned as both consoles are losing ground on their respective predecessor over the holidays.

Adjustments have been made to previous weeks since the last update: Switch up by 45k, PS5 up by 31k, XSX down by 59k.

Xbox Series has also been adjusted down by another 90k since my last update ontop of this. This is due to the weekly figures in the data tool currently being incorrect and not lining up with the monthly/yearly figures or the figures posted by Trunks in his thread.

Here are the numbers for all tracked consoles as of 58 weeks on the market:

ConsoleSales
Wii19.51m
PS417.47m
PS516.68m
Switch16.01m
3DS15.11m
DS13.85m
XSX11.00m
PSP10.55m
XBO10.30m
PS38.09m
X3607.99m

Doctor_MG said:
yo33331 said:

Yep, you are right, I agree.

If PS5 was in full stock everywhere I think it could reach 20M for this year alone.

I see this type of argument a lot, and I don't really understand what the logic is behind it. Demand definitely seems to be high right now, but it's difficult to judge true demand since it's notably limited. In addition, the limited availability of the product could be driving sales higher than they normally would be. Historically there hasn't been a single console that has ever sold 20 million in their first year, and even at the PS4's sales height (when it was definitely widely available and had a very large game library and several huge releases) it just barely crossed that mark, and it did so exactly once. 

Consoles (if they are successful, anyway) always sell the least in both the initial years and their last years on the market, essentially creating a bell curve. I don't see why this tendency would change for the PS5 even if it were widely available. Unless you think 20M would be one of their weakest years sales wise for the PS5. 

We are not in a business as usual sales climate with its associated bell curves and other such sales dynamics, while we talk about the gaming negatives stemming from the pandemic, it has also had an impact in the form of extra demand and while this demand in regard to the consoles hardware sales is across the board it has mostly gone unmet, except for the Switch where the sales jumped up by around 6 million in 2020 and pretty much held the line this year, so with this different world who's to say that the pandemic demand that helped drive software sales and hardware demand wouldn't have lead to an unrestrained PS5 having 20 million sales and then when things settled  fallen away.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 27 December 2021

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

No updates for 2022 anymore?