By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Indies to continuing to be slow to appear on PS? AAA to start disappearing sooner off of Xbox One?

Signalstar said:

Dude give it a rest. No one is taking you or your thread seriously because you are obviously cherry picking games and announcements just to prove your point.

Here are a bunch of recently released or announced indie games that are on PlayStation and not Xbox with no release expected soon.

[...]

I don't see what is gained by insulting people.  That doesn't convince anyone of anything, as it typically gets the back up of the person you're addressing, and will typically discredit you with lurkers who are just reading the thread.  Being unnecessarily insulting just hurts your argument.  And you are falsely asserting my intent (see my response below to @Kyuu as it applies to each of your comments).

Kyuu said:

This seems cherrypicked. Just off the top of my head, Tchia released a couple of days ago on PS/PS+ and PC with no Xbox version in sight yet. [...]

I did not say that no indies were coming out exclusively on PS.  I said that the PS platform has gone from being an indie darling at one point with the PS4, to being criticized by many indie developers today (poorer sales performance than before, worse discoverability than before, etc.).

To test how much of a difference that was making to developer intent, I've been tracking recent announcement.  And we have in fact seen a significant up-tick in indie games that are coming to Xbox but not coming to PS.

There also appears to be an implicit suggestion that this is some kind of pro-Xbox thread.  That's incorrect given it's a two-part thread, and that the other part is tracking examples of games that are coming to PS4 but not coming to Xbox One.

Around the Network

Rather than argue, why not just list every indie game released on both this gen.

Just because some Devs sang the praise of PS or Xbox don't make either being a "darling" factually correct. Your releasing your game on an ecosystem that you've been paid for, your not going to bite the hand that feeds you.

Just make a table and list away.

scrapking said:

I did not say that no indies were coming out exclusively on PS.  I said that the PS platform has gone from being an indie darling at one point with the PS4, to being criticized by many indie developers today (poorer sales performance than before, worse discoverability than before, etc.).

To test how much of a difference that was making to developer intent, I've been tracking recent announcement.  And we have in fact seen a significant up-tick in indie games that are coming to Xbox but not coming to PS.

There also appears to be an implicit suggestion that this is some kind of pro-Xbox thread.  That's incorrect given it's a two-part thread, and that the other part is tracking examples of games that are coming to PS4 but not coming to Xbox One.

Instead of tracking a few anecdotal examples of some games, I looked up the available games with a 2021 - 2023 release date in the different online stores.

Deku Deals has great filters for release year, price range and content type (to exclude DLCs, bundles, demos):  https://www.dekudeals.com/

The PlayStation platform hasn't been an "indie darling" for years now, it is on the third place behind Switch and Steam. But PlayStation still got a lot more games since 2021 than Xbox (each year). And since the vast majority of games releases on EACH platform are "indie games", of course PlayStation still got a lot more "indies" since 2021 than Xbox (each year).

To exclude new AAA games, you can also look up the number of games in the price ranges up to $10, $20 and $30. (Almost?) no AAA game with a release since 2021 will be priced under $10 (even in a sale) and only very few AAA games with a release since 2021 will be priced under $20 (even in a sale). And very few indies will be priced higher than $20 or $30, even if they are 2023 releases.

So the number of currently available games released since 2021 are:

• Xbox Marketplace: 774 up to $10, 1541 up to $20, 1866 up to $30, 2072 in total
  • PlayStation Store: 1636 up to $10, 2493 up to $20, 2894 up to $30, 3195 in total
  • Switch eShop: 2712 up to $10, 4031 up to $20, 4435 up to $30, 4745 in total
  • Steam (50+ score): 11170 up to $10, 15194 up to $20, 16066 up to $30, 16650 in total
  • Steam (all releases): 16545 up to $10, 21089 up to $20, 22052 up to $30, 22775 in total

DLCs and free games are excluded in these numbers for all stores. And since there is a lot of crap in the Steam store, I set a quality filter at 50% SteamDB rating and a minimum price of $1 in the first Steam line for better comparisons.

For the numbers per release years, you can check these search results:

scrapking said:
Signalstar said:

Dude give it a rest. No one is taking you or your thread seriously because you are obviously cherry picking games and announcements just to prove your point.

Here are a bunch of recently released or announced indie games that are on PlayStation and not Xbox with no release expected soon.

[...]

I don't see what is gained by insulting people.  That doesn't convince anyone of anything, as it typically gets the back up of the person you're addressing, and will typically discredit you with lurkers who are just reading the thread.  Being unnecessarily insulting just hurts your argument.  And you are falsely asserting my intent (see my response below to @Kyuu as it applies to each of your comments).

Kyuu said:

This seems cherrypicked. Just off the top of my head, Tchia released a couple of days ago on PS/PS+ and PC with no Xbox version in sight yet. [...]

Nowhere in my post did I insult you.

All I did was point out that the methodology you are using to back up your prediction is clearly and obviously flawed.

All you are doing is posting examples of announcements that make you look correct while ignoring all other evidence that is contrary to that theory. That is a classic example of cherry picking.

If you really wanted to prove your point you would keep track of all indie announcements including those that arrive on Xbox first, those that arrive on PS first, those that arrive on both simultaneously, etc. Hell even take it a step further and include Switch as well and also note the time delay between releases if that is what you are concerned about. If you are not willing to do all that then you are indeed wasting your time because the "evidence" you provide is worthless.

It is like testing your theory that the number of days of 100 degrees is increasing. As evidence you post any time there is a day over 100 degrees disregarding all the days below 100 degrees and not comparing the present data to past data.

You have not reacted at all to the substance of my argument, which is how do you respond to your prediction and evidence given that there are dozens of provable indie games that are releasing on PS and not Xbox as well?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Signalstar said:

Nowhere in my post did I insult you.

All I did was point out that the methodology you are using to back up your prediction is clearly and obviously flawed.

All you are doing is posting examples of announcements that make you look correct while ignoring all other evidence that is contrary to that theory. That is a classic example of cherry picking.

If you really wanted to prove your point you would keep track of all indie announcements including those that arrive on Xbox first, those that arrive on PS first, those that arrive on both simultaneously, etc. Hell even take it a step further and include Switch as well and also note the time delay between releases if that is what you are concerned about. If you are not willing to do all that then you are indeed wasting your time because the "evidence" you provide is worthless.

It is like testing your theory that the number of days of 100 degrees is increasing. As evidence you post any time there is a day over 100 degrees disregarding all the days below 100 degrees and not comparing the present data to past data.

You have not reacted at all to the substance of my argument, which is how do you respond to your prediction and evidence given that there are dozens of provable indie games that are releasing on PS and not Xbox as well?

I said that nothing is gained by insulting people, in which case I meant speaking with an insulting tone.  You don't see that (for example)...

"Dude give it a rest. No one is taking you or your thread seriously"

...is a dismissive/insulting tone?  At a minimum it's pretty dam impolite.  Speaking in that kind of tone does harm to your argument, as you stand a high probability of getting the person's back up, rather than them agreeing with you.  And independent observers are less likely to be swayed by an impolite/insulting tone than they will a neutral and measured tone.  See the book "How to Win Friends and Influence People" for a deep dive into the psychology behind this.  If you aren't concerned, then c'est la vie, but I mentioned that in an attempt to be helpful, to the degree you wish to convince people of what you're saying.  *shrug*

I also did react to the substance of your argument, by pointing out that it wasn't my intent to create a holistic list, just to provide examples.  I don't believe that I at any point asserted that it was a scientific method of tracking indies.  Just data points I found interesting that appeared to support assertions in news stories and interviews on the subject.

You accuse me of cherry-picking, but I believe I was clear from the beginning that it wasn't a holistic list so I never suggested I was doing anything other than that.  So you're accusing me of being guilty of something that I was open and up-front about from the beginning.

I haven't engaged in any methodology at any point (methodology is the study of methods), so I don't understand that comment.  In any case, I saw this thread as conversational, not scientific.

Last edited by scrapking - on 26 March 2023

Around the Network
Conina said:

Instead of tracking a few anecdotal examples of some games, I looked up the available games with a 2021 - 2023 release date in the different online stores.

[...] So the number of currently available games released since 2021 are:

• Xbox Marketplace: 774 up to $10, 1541 up to $20, 1866 up to $30, 2072 in total
  • PlayStation Store: 1636 up to $10, 2493 up to $20, 2894 up to $30, 3195 in total

[...]

Neat!  Thanks for sharing that, I wasn't aware of the Deku Deals resource.  That's really interesting.

Given the lead time from green-lighting a game to actually releasing it, I wonder if there've been any year-over-year increases more recently?

Fei-Hung said:

Rather than argue, why not just list every indie game released on both this gen.

Just because some Devs sang the praise of PS or Xbox don't make either being a "darling" factually correct. Your releasing your game on an ecosystem that you've been paid for, your not going to bite the hand that feeds you.

Just make a table and list away.

That sounds like a potentially interesting thing to do.  I created this thread with a conversational mindset, not one of scientific analysis.  But if you did that, I'd be interested to read your results.  :)

As for arguing...  I agree, no need to argue (nor any benefit to doing so).  It's best when everyone does their best to remain respectful, and to discuss rather than to argue.

Last edited by scrapking - on 26 March 2023

A conversation is great but it can't have statements pulled out of thin air when what you are wanting to have a conversation about is factual information.

I don't think a table will be needed anymore considering the Deku table shows PC, Nintendo and Sony are miles ahead in terms of games on their store. 

Nothing new here or unexpected. The country I live in often holds Curry awards, both locally to each city and nationally. The winners are sometimes the shortest Indo / Pak restaurants that no self respecting Asian or foodie would go to but they win. The reason for this is simple, they make the loudest noise and enter every competition under god's green earth.

The point you were making was no different. Just because a few people scream Xbox or PS is the best doesn't make it true. Especially when Nintendo has them both beat and hasn't ever shouted about being the best place for Indies.