By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - All Nintendo First Party 10 Million Sellers (as of December 31, 2023) (+Poll) UPDATED WITH LISTS BY RELEASE YEAR & CONSOLE

How many First Party Nintendo Games will exceed 10 million at the end of Switch's Life?

<55 15 28.30%

55 0 0%

56 1 1.89%

57 0 0%

58 3 5.66%

59 2 3.77%

60 6 11.32%

61 3 5.66%

62 4 7.55%

>62 19 35.85%

Total:53

The list has been updated through March 31, 2023! Mario Party Superstars has joined the club, making the total list 58 games. 18 are Switch games, which means that it has almost has many 10m sellers as Wii & DS combined. Will match them with TOTK and could exceed them in the next update depending on how much Switch Sports sells (will surpass them easily by the end of the year anyways).

Legends: Arceus is now the highest selling single version Pokemon game. It and LGPE should be able to surpass BW. Maybe BDSP can as well. Odyssey should overtake SWSH. TOTK will probably begin in the Top 30 with the next update.

Even when Switch 10m sellers amount surpasses Wii & DS, the total sales will still be less because of Wii Sports, but it should surpass total sales eventually as well. Kirby & Mario Maker 2 will probably join the club in a year or two.

Around the Network
Torpoleon said:

The list has been updated through March 31, 2023! Mario Party Superstars has joined the club, making the total list 58 games. 18 are Switch games, which means that it has almost has many 10m sellers as Wii & DS combined. Will match them with TOTK and could exceed them in the next update depending on how much Switch Sports sells (will surpass them easily by the end of the year anyways).

Legends: Arceus is now the highest selling single version Pokemon game. It and LGPE should be able to surpass BW. Maybe BDSP can as well. Odyssey should overtake SWSH. TOTK will probably begin in the Top 30 with the next update.

Even when Switch 10m sellers amount surpasses Wii & DS, the total sales will still be less because of Wii Sports, but it should surpass total sales eventually as well. Kirby & Mario Maker 2 will probably join the club in a year or two.

TotK and Switch Sports will bring the total to 60.  That is a nice round number, but I think it will keep going.  The question is by how much.  I do think Kirby will make #61, but I don't think Mario Maker is selling 1m+ annually anymore, so I don't think we'll get a 10m+ announcement for it.

My original prediction was 63 after all Switch games are accounted for.  I do think there is a decent chance of another 2, 10m+ sellers getting released.  With games like Luigi's Mansion, Mario Party, and Kirby getting into the 10m+ range, it doesn't take a top tier IP to get another 10m+ seller.  A new Tomodachi game could do it as well.

@The_Liquid_Laser CESA will still update with sales of Mario Maker 2 though. The game is at 7.89 million as of the end of 2021. I imagine it will be close to 8.5 million by the end of 2022. Could see it crossing 10 million by 2025 or maybe 2026.

I updated my excel sheet through the end of June 30, 2023! TOTK joins the list already at #27, almost outselling the best selling 3DS game in a month and a half. Switch Sports is probably technically there but we won't know officially until later this year. 59 games have officially passed the 10 million mark and 19 of them are on Switch.

I also updated the list to show (through pivot tables) a breakdown by release year and by console. Not surprisingly, games released in 2006 have the highest total sales, although 2017 could make a run at that (will probably fall short though).

List will be at least 61 games by the end of the year. I believe Kirby will get there but definitely not this year. Mario Maker 2 still has a shot but also not this year. Super Mario RPG is definitely a big question mark for me. Should easily be the best selling Mario RPG title though.

Last time Nintendo had a year where no game released sold over 10m was 2015. Looking at the list, there would be far more years like that without Pokemon pre-Switch.

BOTW crosses into 30 million territory, sandwiched between NSMB DS & NSMB Wii. SV is a hair below Wii Fit and should pass GS (and nintendogs) by the end of the year. Switch now has 4 games surpass 30 million sales, tying with the Wii. I think it's basically guaranteed for Odyssey & TOTK to join the 30 million club. Not sure about SV. I think SMBW could though. Would be wild to have over half the games in the Switch's Top 10 exceed 30 million. SMP & TOTK (and SMBW) should join the 20 million club by the end of the FY making the top 10 all games that exceed 20 million sales. Not sure if NSMBU DX could get there as well. It's possible though.

SWSH will probably end right below or right above Wii Play. RFA & NSS will probably reach about 17-18 million. Splatoon 3 definitely has a good shot at surpassing Splatoon 2. Mario party Super Stars, 3D World & Luigi's Mansion 3 are gonna keep trucking along and will probably exceed 1 million this FY.

Really wish Nintendo posted a top 20!

Torpoleon said:

@The_Liquid_Laser CESA will still update with sales of Mario Maker 2 though. The game is at 7.89 million as of the end of 2021. I imagine it will be close to 8.5 million by the end of 2022. Could see it crossing 10 million by 2025 or maybe 2026.

The latest CESA says that Mario Maker 2 is at 8.42m now.  You are right that this game has a good chance of limping over the 10m mark at some point.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/247582/cesa-2023-updated-sales-of-additional-nintendo-switch-titles/1/

Around the Network

Updated with numbers through September 30, 2023! Switch Sports has officially joined the list, giving us an even 60 (and giving Switch an even 20). Switch has more 10 million sellers than DS & Wii combined, though total sales still lag both of those combined (that should definitely change soon).

The holiday update should add some big milestones, with TOTK & SMP almost certainly passing 20m. Also, maybe SV will pass GS this holiday. It does suck that TOTK didn't even sell 1 million last quarter, but I still have faith that it can reach 30m.

3DS games notched up ever so slightly (impressive since the eShop was shut down). I wonder if ORAS will actually surpass Yellow.

Where do you think Wonder will land on the list in its debut quarter (I think it's pretty obvious the game will be at least a 10m seller at the end of the year)? Originally, I thought it would explode like SV did last year, but now I'm thinking it will do about 15 or 16m by the end of the year. Still huge numbers.

Torpoleon said:

Updated with numbers through September 30, 2023! Switch Sports has officially joined the list, giving us an even 60 (and giving Switch an even 20). Switch has more 10 million sellers than DS & Wii combined, though total sales still lag both of those combined (that should definitely change soon).

The holiday update should add some big milestones, with TOTK & SMP almost certainly passing 20m. Also, maybe SV will pass GS this holiday. It does suck that TOTK didn't even sell 1 million last quarter, but I still have faith that it can reach 30m.

3DS games notched up ever so slightly (impressive since the eShop was shut down). I wonder if ORAS will actually surpass Yellow.

Where do you think Wonder will land on the list in its debut quarter (I think it's pretty obvious the game will be at least a 10m seller at the end of the year)? Originally, I thought it would explode like SV did last year, but now I'm thinking it will do about 15 or 16m by the end of the year. Still huge numbers.

Thank you for the update!

I think Wonder will end around 15M by the end of the quarter. 

The Nintendo Switch attach ratio is forevermore incredible.

I have updated my big spreadsheet with the recent financial data through December 31, 2023!

MK8 DX crossed 60m while SSBU surpassed Wii Sports Resort and is now #6. BOTW surpassed RGB. Mario Odyssey continues its journey to 30m. I do have faith that it can at least surpass NSMB & NSMB Wii. SV surpassed SWSH. Whether or not it surpasses SWSH remains to be seen, but SWSH has cratered and is the worst performing in the Top 10.

Super Mario Party & TOTK both crossed 20m and hopefully TOTK will over take SMP proper. TOTK's legs are definitely weaker than I thought, although the game did open much higher than I thought as well and at least it crossed 20m by the end of the year. It's still the second best selling Zelda game by a wide margin.

NSMBU DX is now right below Mario 3. Luigi's Mansion 3 continues its journey, and 3D World has now surpassed 3D Land & Mario Galaxy. It is now the second best selling 3D Mario game. Switch Sports continues to put in good numbers while Superstars seems to have slowed down a bit, which makes sense because Nintendo has made the bizarre decision not to do DLC. I was really hoping for at least one board from 4-8 each.

Mario Wonder opens at nearly 12m. I was admittedly hoping for a lot more. Since Pokemon & Zelda did well over 15m in debut quarters for their recent games, I thought a new 2D Mario game right after the Mario movie would do similar numbers. Maybe the legs will be better than Zelda though. I had hopes that it would surpass NSMB & NSMB Wii, but I don't see that happening. It should comfortably surpass 20m in its life though.

Switch now has 21 10m sellers, of which 9 are 20m sellers. I think that both NSMB U DX & Mario Wonder could pass 20m, giving us potentially at least 11 20m sellers. Even though Switch has more 10m sellers than DS & Wii combined, the sales for DS & Wii combined are still slightly higher, but that lead will end in Switch's favor soon enough!

I can't see any of the announced 2024 titles making it onto this list. I do see Kirby & Mario Maker 2 (possibly) making it to the list in due time. And there's probably at least one more set of Pokemon games.

I believe the final answer is 61? Switch 2 is rumored to be revealed next month, with launch within the next six months I suspect. Don't see any more titles capable of flying to 10mil on Switch at the moment. It's possible Mario Maker 2 could cross it over time? Though I would be surprised.

I guess Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle wouldn't be considered a Nintendo title since it was developed by Ubisoft. I would be curious to if that game hit 10mil? Supposedly, the game's had 10mil unique players. I'm not sure what this translates into when discussing sales figures.

Last edited by firebush03 - on 10 February 2024

If the Switch 2 is backwards compatible (it should be, but fingers still crossed), that means that some Switch games should continue to sell even after the Switch 2 comes out. That being said, I don't see any other games likely to cross the 10M mark. The closest to that mark is Mario Maker 2, and it is still a ways off and isn't exactly a perennial title. There's also unlikely to be any new games coming to the Switch that will be capable of selling 10M copies. The few announced upcoming titles are smaller-scale releases.

Even if there aren't any more 10M+ releases, the Switch absolutely shattered records for the number of 10M+ sellers (either first- or third-party) on a single console, with 21 of them in total, fully a third of Nintendo's total 10M+ sellers. I think the PS4 is the system with the second-largest number of 10M+ sellers, but it only has like nine or ten (depending on if Ghost of Tsushima passed 10M copies; it was close at last count). The attach rates for most notable first-party Switch games has been absolutely phenomenal, even by Nintendo standards.

Last edited by Shadow1980 - on 13 February 2024

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").