By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

I'm behind by a day so posting my next two lol:

Civilization VI
#41 - Hint: This series has a lot of history, and the games contain quite a lot of it too.
Supplementary Hint: I win because I'm more cultured than you peasant.
Guessed by: TruckOSaurus

Forza Horizon 3
#40 - Hint: It's out third trip and we're going down under!
Supplementary Hint: This series is a spin-off of another series but became more popular than the original with it's large openworld.
Supplementary Hint 2: There are many upgrades in this game that can help you race to success.
Guessed by: Supermario28

I played a little bit of Civilization II when I was very young, but didn't really play it properly, I just liked to upgrade my throne room mainly. Civilization V was the first one I sunk some hours into and unlike a lot of people I see moan online I think VI is an improvement to V. It has it's problems, I don't really like the governors they introduced in the Rise and Fall expansion nor the loyalty in Rise and Fall either.

Forza Horizon 3-5 are all really quite similar (never played 1/2), 5 wasn't eligible and I hadn't played enough of it when I made the list. 3 wins over 4 just because I prefer the setting really.

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
GoOnKid said:

42 - Mega Man X4 it is, then.

Indeed it is! All of the first four Mega Man X games are on the list, making the Mega Man X Legacy collection one of the best collections ever. 

So true!

S.Peelman said:

So I'm behind on hints. #40 which I'll post later today has been guessed a while ago already though, Resident Evil Revelations by Mnementh. Here's new hints for #39 and #38 and first hints for #37 and #36. We're pretty far in already actually;

#39: This game features campaigns for only five of the six civilisations, however, when you use cheats codes in a certain level, you can play a tiny secret level involving the missing civilisation.

Hint 2: Which makes sense, in the movie this civilisation asks for the help, no, begs for the help of another the lives on the on same planet, because they have no army.

#38: This game features three real life people but only one of them is on the cover.

Hint 3: He is the coolest one though, because a black top hat is cool. Guitar Hero III - Guessed by TruckOSaurus

#37: The end boss is a certain evil person that's inside a big robotic suit. Wolfenstein 3D - Guessed by Mnementh

#36: At some point, the way forward is blocked by a giant statue that looks like a couple of bosses.

#36 Super Metroid

Jpcc86 said:

Im falling a bit behind so heres a bunch of new, incredibly easy hints for the next group of games:

#42: 

Hint: In this non-God of War game, you can fight Kratos as a secret/optional boss. 

#41:

Hint:  The villanous group of this games has a ... "Flare" for the dramatic. 

#40:

Hint: "No lollygaggin". 

#39:

Hint: In this PS1 game at times you play segments as the main villain, who happens to be "the other half" of the main protagonist. Two parts of a whole, lets say. 

#42 Maybe Playstation All-Stars Battle Royal? idk

#41 Pokémon X and Y

#39 Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Runa216 said:

47 - This sequel is what reignited my love for Rush and Megadeth.
- Something like 80% of this game's content was completely redone and available to play on two games higher in this list.
- this PS2 game was later released on Xbox 360; I never played this version because the peripherals were too expensive.
45 - Witty woman goes in, homocidal psycho robot comes out.
- Confectionary Lovers need not apply.
- Narbacular Drop Spiritual Successor.
44 - This sequel is what re-re ignited my love for Rush and Dream Theater
- Came with free DLC that included 20 pieces of indie rock/metal.
- Can play a huge chunk of #47's content in this game.
39 - Like Super Metroid but better (yeah I know I'll get a lot of hate for this)
38 - Like Minecraft but better (Yeah, I know I'll get some hate for this)
37 - Like it's 2009, PS3 rendition but better in every way.
36 - This fourth entry is better if you pretend it's not part of a franchise and instead its own thing.
35 - According to review aggregators, this is the best in the franchise. I put 5 games in the franchise ahead of it.
34 - GenWunners are onto something, but only because nostalgia is a powerful drug.
33 - THEY'RE GOING BACKWARDS ON THE COVER ART!
32 - this cheekily-titled threequel introduced online multiplayer...and somehow the plot threads are still being recycled in the series in 2021.
31 - 50% Souls, 50% its own thing entirely, 100% Game of the Year.

39 - Metroid Dread

37 - Killzone Shadow Fall

36 - Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag

34 - Pokémon Let's Go

31 - Bloodbourne

Here is my next hint plus the one that hasn't been solved yet:

44 - A lightgun shooter that plays in various loations, one of which is a well-known zombie-infected city that may or may not get nuked eventually.

39 - At one point in this RPG you fight a giant steak as a boss and win by cooking it properly. Flattening it, seasoning with salt and pepper, lemon juice, then put it on the grill.

GoOnKid said:

44 - A lightgun shooter that plays in various loations, one of which is a well-known zombie-infected city that may or may not get nuked eventually.

39 - At one point in this RPG you fight a giant steak as a boss and win by cooking it properly. Flattening it, seasoning with salt and pepper, lemon juice, then put it on the grill.

44 is Resident Evil Survivor? Took me a while to remember which RE game it could be, I kept thinking of outbreak. Pretty sure Raccoon City gets nuked...

Zippy6 said:
GoOnKid said:

44 is Resident Evil Survivor? Took me a while to remember which RE game it could be, I kept thinking of outbreak. Pretty sure Raccoon City gets nuked...

You're close, wrong console though.

Around the Network
GoOnKid said:

#44: Is this Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

#40Supaplex
guessed byno one
platformDOS
release year1991
developer/publisherThink!Ware Development/Dream Factory/Digital Integration
genrepuzzle
linksWikipedia
play for free in browser (archive.org)
download the game for free from the devs
past years2020: #29, 2019: #26, 2018: #23

I played Supaplex a lot back in the day. Solving one more level or retry after failing was a very addictive loop. This game in it's core is a Boulderdash-clone, but added some things and had such neat artstyle and sound-design.

As in Boulderdash you go through the level, collecting (in this case) Infotrons and avoid being hit by a stones. The game includes exploding floppy disks, enemies (the scissors you see above), gravity for some levels and some other stuff to keep it fresh. If you collected the set number of infotrons for the level, you can go to the exit (if you didn't block it with your earlier actions). Overall it contains 111 levels, but if one level is too difficult, you can skip it, but the number of skips is limited. As usual with puzzlers, the solution often needs some good thinking.

One thing that I liked about the game, that sound-design and the background melody are seriously addicting. The graphical design with the computer hardware theme (sorta) is also quite cool.

The game released originally for Amiga and DOS. But it got many clones and rereleases like Megaplex for Windows (with level editor), Infotron for MacOS, Igor The Time Machine (an extended game from the same devs), WinPlex, New Supaplex, Supaplex 3000 and an adapation for the Apple Appstore. If you want to play it, you have certainly a lot of options. For the original feeling, download it from the developers and play it in DosBox. Also an open source reimplementation exists, to bring the game to modern platforms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5M4bVJZYPI

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Most of the upcoming games are guessed already, but I have a feeling that #35 is niche enough to be a bit more difficult.

#35: As the king is consumed by the rot, who will dare to challenge the throne?

Supermario28 said:
S.Peelman said:

Okay lets take a crack at this one.

I think the "game this game is often compared to" is GoldenEye. It's hard to think of another that was unfavourably compared to this though. The one candidate I'm thinking of Mission Impossible. Though I'm not sure if 'FMFI' is a thing. But anyway;

Mission Impossible?

EDIT: Oh wait, lol , I just remembered, the spy organisation in Mission Impossible is 'Impossible Mission Force' or 'IMF'. You didn't necessarily say one F to each of the first letters nor that they have to stand in the original order. So yeah, definitely going with Mission Impossible for this.

The mission has been completed. Congratulations!

I have that game. I liked it back then, difficult though, I never completed it.

Kakadu18 said:

Hint: #37: The villain was raised by two old witches.

Zelda Ocarina of Time.

GoOnKid said:
S.Peelman said:

So I'm behind on hints. #40 which I'll post later today has been guessed a while ago already though, Resident Evil Revelations by Mnementh. Here's new hints for #39 and #38 and first hints for #37 and #36. We're pretty far in already actually;

#36: At some point, the way forward is blocked by a giant statue that looks like a couple of bosses.

#36 Super Metroid

That is correct!

Kakadu18 said:

#48: blocks

Kakadu18 said:

#46: BLOCKS

#36: Blocks