By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

Kakadu18 said:
Kakadu18 said:

#20: Hint: This game showed up in this thread quite a few times already. There's something with time.

#19: Hint: Often called not only the best game of it's franchise but also it's genre.

#19: Hint 2: It's the sequel to another game that is also often called the best in the series, but maybe a bit less often.

19 - following from a previous guess, maybe Super Mario World?

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
Kakadu18 said:

#19: Hint: Often called not only the best game of it's franchise but also it's genre.

#19: Hint 2: It's the sequel to another game that is also often called the best in the series, but maybe a bit less often.

#17: Hint: A very different shooter.

drbunnig says World, I’ll guess Galaxy 2 for 19.

17 is Splatoon 2.

Farsala said:

It has been awhile since I have posted hints, because of a final game placement.

24: One of the most pivotal games of all open world games. This game features 3 factions vying for control of the continent.

24: World of Warcraft?

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Here's some hints from my games:

22.  This Switch game is really two classic games put together.  

22: Octopath Traveler?

Yakuza 0 (PS4)

YoY: -1

One of the best examples of why video game open worlds don't actually have to be ridiculously huge and filled with pointless busywork. Yakuza 0's developers have come to the correct realization that a huge open world means nothing if it doesn't also have a comparable amount of engaging quests and interesting side activities to take part in, something quite a few AAA developers (Ubisoft) really need to be taught.

Another thing that Yakuza 0 gets right is its knack of successfully alternating between serious and silly moments, and neither tone ever feeling out of place nor immersion breaking. It all just fits the world's tone and style, despite how weird it may seem in concept. You can go from a scene where a member of the Yakuza cuts of their own finger to atone for their mistakes, to taking on a side quest where you're teaching a would be dominatrix to be better at their job, and it all just works somehow. That's what sets Yakuza apart from other games.

S.Peelman said:

Farsala said:

It has been awhile since I have posted hints, because of a final game placement.

24: One of the most pivotal games of all open world games. This game features 3 factions vying for control of the continent.

24: World of Warcraft?

Nope, WoW has more continents.

A bit bored, so here's the next set of hints.

#15:

• Garden.

#14:

• The shards of the primordial man's soul influence the fate of great kingdoms.

#13:

• A brother's return sets off the events of the game.

#12:

• Fireflies.

#11:

• Junior Bracers.
Last edited by Darashiva - on 12 December 2021

Around the Network
coolbeans said:
Darashiva said:

A bit bored, so here's the next set of hints.

#15:

• Garden.

#14:

• The shards of the primordial man's soul influence the fate of great kingdoms.

#13:

• A brother's return sets off the events of the game.

#12:

• Fireflies.

#11:

• Junior Bracers.

13 - Uncharted 4

12 - The Last of Us or The Last of Us Pt. II

Correct on both. 12 is The last of Us.

S.Peelman said:
Kakadu18 said:

#17: Hint: A very different shooter.

drbunnig says World, I’ll guess Galaxy 2 for 19.

17 is Splatoon 2.

Perfect, both correct.

drbunnig said:
Kakadu18 said:

19 - following from a previous guess, maybe Super Mario World?

No, I was hinting to a direct sequel. S.Peelman got it right.

Serving up a fresh batch of hints:

23) The titular character that just can't stay dead is back for the 3rd time.

Hint 2: The titular character is the villain.

Hint 3: The series is most at home on PC, but this was the first game in series to also get console ports.

21) On my "CD shelve" this game takes up nearly an entire row.

Hint 2: Not because the box is quite that large, but because there are several of them.

20) If the protagonist of this game had been playable in Smash Bros. they could have up to 4 different move sets.

Hint 2: 1 "base" and 3 transformations.

19) While this game is in some ways a return to the basics for this series, the additions it makes to your arsenal are some of the more original.

18) Brings a new meaning to twin-stick controls.

17) 2019 2020 2021 2022

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Wanted to real quick cover why I love my #23-20 so much

#23 - Mario Party 2

One of the very few games from this era that still holds up completely. Its visual style still looks pretty decent and its so nice to play a fully inspired, brutal, and amazingly enjoyable Mario party game. Still one of the best in the series

#22 - Resident Evil Village

The newest game on my list that while at first I wasn't quite sure I liked that much, really grew on me once I accepted it for what it was. The semi-open world is a blast to explore through, all of the different bosses are great, and the atmosphere is phenomenal. The second area in the game in particular is one of the best experiences I've had in years. It has its faults and drags in places but overall a very enjoyable game.

#21 - Portal

Not much to say that hasn't been, a short elegant experience that is absolutely unforgettable and features possibly my favorite puzzle design in any game

#20 - Batman Arkham Asylum

I've played through this game like 5 times through different systems and such and it always manages to be just as fun every time. Honestly appreciate the more linear approach in this game as if I've never been able to get far in Arkham City due to how overwhelming it felt but this one is just right. The scarecrow scenes especially are amazing