By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

S.Peelman said:

No guesses for these yet, which means new hints. For #19 this is the last hint because I'll stamp it unguessed. Long list of hints this time, and also, the first for #16.

#19: Out of sight out of mind says us.

Hint 2: Is what the barkeep said about the abundance of garbage this planet creates. He knows the real reason why you asked though, so time to show your weapon.

Hint 3: And that weapon commands respect. You got it from your father in the previous game, but it's a bit strange though because now the blade is blue while in the previous game it was green.

Hint 4: You get it where you left it between this and the previous game; with the great Master in his new academy. Immediately after, you'll relearn your basic powers through a couple of puzzling trials.

#18: This game features a building named "Kong Tower", which is fitting because it kind of looks like the real 'Kong' tower.

Hint 2: It's $$$ commercial and 3x3 large.

Hint 3: The funny thing is, even though this is a big and tall building, it'll be gone again in no time if you don't check the box to make it a monument.

#17: The Mac OS version of this game (at least) featured an interesting anti-piracy measure where you had to look up letters in the manual.

Hint 2: Once you find the correct letter, you can drink the correct bottle and the door to the next level opens. Drink the wrong one, and die.

#16: Breaking a mirror brings bad luck. Maybe the bad guy in this game shouldn't have broken the mirror.

It seems like #19 is Star Wars KOTR2, but I have no idea.

Around the Network

#32 - Hotel Dusk: Room 215 / #31 - Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective / #30 - Ace Attorney Investigations: Prosecutor's Path - Nintendo DS

DS was a neat thing for adventure-puzzle games.

Hotel Dusk has a fucking amazing atmosphere, thanks to its hand drawn presentation, the beautiful, melancholic soundtrack, the story is fantastic, all the smaller stories from each character you meet are great, and Kyle Hyde is such a cool lad. It left quite the impression on me, not just from the story, but from a lot of the puzzles that uses the DS capabilities to their absolute best. What a joy of a game, god damn it Bradley.

Ghost Trick is arguably the best story from Shu Takumi as a standalone, the twists and turns in the story are all fantastic, and the possesion puzzles and how they all flow within the context of the game are both a visual treat and a good brain teaser, one of those games I would stay up until very late just because I wouldn't be able to sleep without knowing what happens next.

There is a perfect Ace Attorney game out there, and Capcom doesn't let me give them money for it. Investigations 2 is beat for beat, every case, simply perfect. It gives resolution to the turmoil of emotions that is Edgeworth as a character, and it does so with one of the greatest over arching stories and casts of characters in the series, how it starts with a bang in case 1, 2 and 3 remain really interesting while setting up all the threads to follow, and the last two cases being such a fantastic climax to the story, there isn't a single moment I don't like in this game.

#29 - Pikmin 3 - Nintendo Wii U

#28 - Luigi's Mansion 3 - Nintendo Switch

They both have the number 3 on them.

Pikmin 3 is pretty coo, I would say the bigger shame of it all is that the time limit isn't as tight as it could be like 1, the fruits are a good idea, but the amount of juice you get out of them can trivialize the timer, unlike the strict 30 day limit you get in the first game. Other than that is pretty much the better Pikmin game of the bunch, has the most interesting boss fights, the level design is great, the new Pikmin are cool, I prefer the rock Pikmin to the purple ones, they feel more balanced in terms of their damage output, the missions mode is great, the soundtrack is fantastic, and the end level and final boss are amazing. Is a great game that could have benefit to be more challenging, but as it is I still love it a lot.

Luigi's Mansion 3 is the perfect sweet spot between 1 and 2 for me, it has the personality and uniqueness of the ghosts from the first game, and mixes it with the great level and puzzle design of 2, added to that, the lack of the level structure from 2 makes it far more enjoyable to revisit and complete the floors fully. Is more Luigi's Mansion but is really fucking great more Luigi's Mansion.

#27 - Castlevania: Circle of the Moon - GameBoy Advance

#26 - Castlevania: Rondo of Blood - TG-16

duh duh duh duh, ta rararara ra rara ra.

Castlevania appeals to me the most when is designed like a tight action platformer game, the Igavanias bore me, they don't hit me in a sweet spot like a good Metroid game, and they kinda suck as a classic Castlevania game, so there isn't anything there that really appeals to me.

Circle of the Moon then is in a curious spot, it has the design of a Metroid game, a mostly linear one at that, with a handful of power ups that open up the next areas, some more useful as whole and other just being there to eliminate one or two blockades, but the gameplay feels more like a classic game, most of the rooms will be filled with a good number of powerful enemies, which test you in your management of which ones you'll kill or just try to evade, but either option will have its level of challenge, most of the bosses can be hard, but a fun hard (with some exceptions), the DSS system is great in terms of experimentation and balance, even if the ramdomized factor of how you get them can be annoying, but as a whole is a very exciting and engaging game, and how I kinda wish the other Metroidvanias would take upon some of its design choices, and improve on them, also remains the best one of that bunch in terms of feel and movement honestly.

So yea, I really like this game, and then, there is Rondo of Blood...

I boot up this game for the first time, Requiem blasts you with a great title theme, you see this badass ms paint cutscene with Richter, Death gives you a small playable tutorial like we are in Super Metroid fighting Ridley, and then the game starts proper, Oppossing Bloodlines starts playing, you control Richter and he feels super smooth while retaining part of the stiffness of the other classic games, and then every single stage is just hit after hit of the best Classicvania level design has to offer, backed up by an incredible soundtrack, the only flaw I can really point out in Rondo of Blood is that for how amazing everything else is, the final battle with Dracula is disappointing, in being just a worse Castlevania 1 redo, everything else rocks tho as what is the best classic game in the series.

#25 - Deltarune - PC / Nintendo Switch

I know is only been 2 chapters, but I want to put this here in case I die waiting for Toby to finish the other 5 chapters. Deltarune is something quite special so far, as it stands and if it continues with this great pace, it will stay as something I prefer to Undertale, we get another lovable cast of characters, a fantastic soundtrack, a great combat system, and a very heartfelt story with a ton of memes in between, certified Toby Fox classic.

Around the Network

#24 - Mother 3 - GameBoy Advance

Persona 5 Twitter Celebrity HATES This One Weird Game!

Mother 3 is a wonderful game, went in with very high expectations over the years, and it delivered on it quite well, is this bizarre tale filled with a lot of heart wrenching moments, like that dissonance between what a lot of the characters experience and how the world just moves along with its sometimes disturbingly cheerful tone is just great, has a nice message, an incredible soundtrack that pushes the GBA to its limits, a solid combat system, and that ending man, just wonderful.

#23 - Kirby: Star Allies - Nintendo Switch

https://www.vgchartz.com/games/gamereviewdisp.php?id=182718&reviewid=1356

#22 - The Wonderful 101 - Nintendo Wii U / Nintendo Switch

The most Hideki Kamiya game to ever Hideki Kamiya, directed by Hideki Kamiya.

I don't think Kamiya cares that if a bunch of people like his game or not, he kinda just does things he likes if allowed, and the Wonderful 101 feels just like that game, it has giant mech fights, is themed around superheroes that look too much like Viewtiful Joe, there is the rival guy with similar powers to you, there is a lot of shoot em'up segments, some good some not as good, there is a character called Luka, there is also stuff like a giant Platinum logo, among other things.

And another thing that makes it a very Kamiya game, is that the combat and mechanics feels pretty unique, a thing I give to him as a director is that every game he has made is pretty different, despite most of them being action games. Combat starts really simple, but quickly starts to fill out with tons of options and opportunities for character expression, it can be quite a lot of info to wrap around, but once one gets the hang of it, it plays and feels incredible to execute.

The levels are all great, have a good pacing to them, filled with a lot of secrets, all the boss fights are an amazing spectacle, every set piece is memorable, like honestly that first playthrough is some special, from beginning to end, all the crazy situations the game puts you in, the emotional highs and all the good comedy, is a wonderful time.

S.Peelman said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Here's some hints from my games:

22.  This Switch game is really two classic games put together.  

22: Octopath Traveler?

nope.

Here are some more clues to games.

23.  a) "Red wizard is now it."
b)  "Blue Valkyrie shot the food."

22. a) This Switch game is really two classic games put together.
b)  One of these two classic games used to be the best selling game of all time.  

21.  a)  There is a DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince song that feels like it is inspired by this game.
b)  Some characters in this game were originally used in arcade versions of this series.  However, one new character is a monarch from the South Pacific.

20.  a) A 16-bit game for Devo.
b)  This game is linear while eventually this series would become more known for nonlinear gameplay.

I managed to write a bit about my top 20, so here we go:

20. Shovel Knight (Wii U – 2014)

A game made like they used to make them. I love Shovel Knight’s retro art style, retro gameplay and retro difficulty. But it is also an ambitious game in many ways, with now 4 different campaigns, a multiplayer mode, an in-game card game and even some RPG elements. It is one of those games I can always pick up and play.

Eric2048 said:

#24 This game released on Switch this year with some added content but before that it was on a different Nintendo console.

#23 This game was originally going to release with an entire province the player could explore but was cut and instead took place on an island within the province.

#22 This is the first 3d installment from this franchise that is still awaiting the 4th entry.

#21 In this game you can fly around space and land on various moons.

#20 This PS2 game is known as the second game in this franchise but is actually the third game to be released.

24.  Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury

22.  Metroid Prime

20.  Kingdom Hearts 2