By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

More hints on my games:

29.  a) I still haven't beaten a final boss of this game, but the decisions you make during gameplay determine if you will even encounter him.
b)  The battle music during this particular boss fight seems to be really popular.  I have found people enjoying it who have never played the game its from.

28. The company that made this game was known for arcade games and arcade ports.  However, this first entry in their most successful series started on consoles.

Around the Network

#32: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

When I first saw this game on the eshop in 2019 I had never heard of it before but it looked very appealing to me. So I got it and sunk several hundred hours into it before ever looking it up. I had no idea that this game was such a big deal before that. And deservedly so. It's fantastic.

I didn't nearly do everything there is to do but alot nonetheless. The amount of different quests and stuff to do is staggering. And it never feels like filler.

I liked reading some of the huge amount of books you can find anywhere.

What's also great about Skyrim is how cheesy it is. Less than Oblivion from what I've seen, but the stuff some NPCs say is just hilarious and the bugs (didn't encounter that many actually) are more funny than anything.

The leveling system is very cool and the shouts are like items in Zelda games, allowing you to do stuff you previously couldn't, like screaming people to death and making them nervous.

It's a very well designed game with it's only real drawbacks being the a bit repetetive dungeons (although the puzzles are great) and the clunky combat. Other stuff like some NPCs dialogue not changing after you literally become their guild leader doesn't detract from what is a otherwise a highly intricately designed world.

In the end I sunk over 500 hours into Skyrim and it was a ton of fun.

Machina said:
Mnementh said:

Last hint for #30:

#30: A-Plus, Akebi, Ramen, S-Chan and just Frank. Deliver the cleaned laundry. Actually you forget to deliver it. This 3DS game was part of a series of smaller games. You play on Friday. This is also the day the monsters come out.

Attack of the Friday Monsters.

Yeah, finally this one got guessed too.

You've built a lead now in guessing my games, you have six, Darashiva four, Zippy6 and Kakadu18 three each. You even guessed more games than the number of unguessed games (five).

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Here are some clues for my next few games.

31.  I would not be surprised if someone tells me that this Nintendo game should be higher on my list.

30.  Some consider the main protagonist of this RPG to be female, but personally I would say it has more of an ensemble cast.

29.  I still haven't beaten a final boss of this game, but the decisions you make during gameplay determine if you will even encounter him.

29. Mass Effect?

S.Peelman said:

I only have one new game this time, because the rest is guessed. Hopefully this one will last a bit longer.

#26: The main concept in this game originated from a demo that has a name with a digit double that of another game in this series.

#26: Pikmin

Some more hints from me:

30 - This is the beginning of a (yet unfinished) trilogy which serves as the prequel to two rather cult classic first-person shooters.

HINT: The beginning of this game is rather similar to Robocop. There's even a small hidden Robocop reference.

29 - In this sci-fi third-person shooter we visit several different planets with three playable characters and fight against insectoid-like invaders.

28 - This action-adventure takes us to several real world locations all around the globe as we're looking for our lost father.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

#29 - The game's namesake is something you're supposed to be thinking with.

The first Portal to be specific

Last edited by Ultrashroomz - on 02 December 2021

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Kakadu18 said:

#32: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

When I first saw this game on the eshop in 2019 I had never heard of it before but it looked very appealing to me. So I got it and sunk several hundred hours into it before ever looking it up. I had no idea that this game was such a big deal before that. And deservedly so. It's fantastic.

I didn't nearly do everything there is to do but alot nonetheless. The amount of different quests and stuff to do is staggering. And it never feels like filler.

I liked reading some of the huge amount of books you can find anywhere.

What's also great about Skyrim is how cheesy it is. Less than Oblivion from what I've seen, but the stuff some NPCs say is just hilarious and the bugs (didn't encounter that many actually) are more funny than anything.

The leveling system is very cool and the shouts are like items in Zelda games, allowing you to do stuff you previously couldn't, like screaming people to death and making them nervous.

It's a very well designed game with it's only real drawbacks being the a bit repetetive dungeons (although the puzzles are great) and the clunky combat. Other stuff like some NPCs dialogue not changing after you literally become their guild leader doesn't detract from what is a otherwise a highly intricately designed world.

In the end I sunk over 500 hours into Skyrim and it was a ton of fun.

A little sad for me that Skyrim was your first foray into the franchise. But you definitely aren't the only one.

UnderwaterFunktown said:
S.Peelman said:

Zelda: Breath of the Wild?

If so, clever.

That's not it, so sadly not clever

That means I'm also not clever.

coolbeans said:
S.Peelman said:

I only have one new game this time, because the rest is guessed. Hopefully this one will last a bit longer.

#26: The main concept in this game originated from a demo that has a name with a digit double that of another game in this series.

Mario Kart: Double Dash ?

Not it, and;

GoOnKid said:

#26: Pikmin

Also not it, though you have the demo it was based upon right. There was something else about that demo that was used in some game.

mZuzek said:

Got here a little late this time, lots of things happening in the life these past couple days. Anyways, two more hints.

#30 - Its sequel was announced more than 4 years ago but we still don't have any trailers or information at all about it.

Metroid Prime 3?

Next batch.

32: This game was quite the marvel for early 7th gen, a strong point is the choice of more power earlier or later, in exchange for different endings to the story.
31: The 2nd time around for this duo is even better. Hilariously the main antagonist rotted over 2 years.
30: Killstreaks and zombies, this game started a subseries with at least 4 sequels.
29: 2 factions battle it out in this alternate timeline of WW2.
28: Sometimes due to variance, my modern battle tank will die to a barbarian spearman.

mZuzek said:

Guessed by @Link_Nines.XBC

I feel like I've only ever said negative things about Twilight Princess in the past. Not because I dislike it, as it's clearly not the case, just in trying to justify why I thought it's the worst (or least amazing) of the 3D Zeldas. Well, this year it's ahead of Majora's Mask, so I'm not of that mindset anymore, and I'm definitely not in the mindset to criticize this. There's a thing about Twilight Princess that feels inherently 'fake', in the sense that it's not what the game's creators really wanted to make - while I said this many times in the past, I think when looking back now, I'm glad we got this game instead of a Wind Waker sequel. This game played it really safe as far as Zelda games go and it came at a time when the franchise really needed that. Even now, with the games we've gotten since then, none of them really scratch that "classic Zelda but in 3D and not with very archaic N64 graphics" itch like Twilight Princess does. It didn't need to be a groundbreaking game to be a great one.

Top 50 >>

We did get a Wind Waker sequel though. Just not on the Wii and Gamecube. Phantom Hourglass.