By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Metroid Dread review! - I wanted to like this game more...

Tagged games:

I feel sad for people who look at Metroid Dread and think it doesn't look good.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

who is kendra?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

RolStoppable said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

60fps is nice, I don't argue that, but when it requires obvious sacrifices to achieve, then I consider whether there were ever "twitch" response moments that the extra 16ms would have helped me achieve, and if the answer is "no", then 30fps is acceptable.  This is less "Switch Pro" than it is the reality that Nintendo is working with very dated hardware.  People defend it because it sells well, devs defend it because of good marketing/fanbase favor, but qualitatively (or "by the numbers" if you will) it's just not there.  So having to make sacrificial graphical choices continues to exist on the Switch and will always remain a point of contention when everyone else is moving so far ahead of them.  They're surely working on their next system, and my hope is they actually recognize this...

I actually don't think deaths get counted.  Meaning, if you die and reload, the game timer is at that spot, so everyone's runs are "zero deaths" times.  Even so, though, most people would not have, say, died for hours worth of game time since the auto-save spots and save rooms are relatively frequent.

It sounds a lot like you're ignoring all of the franchises that channel Metroid and the existence of the metroidvania subgenre.  To pretend that there have not been successful attempts by other devs to capture the formula would be foolish: there are a large amount of games that do this correctly (Ori is the easiest example to use) and an even larger amount of devs that continue to invest in 2D games.  Of course there's no other Metroid, but to pretend that no one else understands and has invested and employed its methods is to put Nintendo on a non-existent pedestal.  And considering there was a decently well-done recent attempt known as FIST, Metroid continues to have competition.  Others don't have the namesake and legacy, of course.  In fact, Nintendo lives off of legacy more than people realize...

Which is perfect about your last statement: yes, play games, not systems.  It means an equal amount of criticism or praise where its warranted with complete disregard to what company made it.  You're reaching a bit on this one... Most people aren't confused by what I mean when I say that lol... Nintendo's Switch hardware is long in the tooth, I'm not going to pretend "well I grew up on Nintendo, they're my favorite and I love them, SO THEY GET A PASS!" just because of their legacy.  I don't play favorites, it's equal praise or criticism wherever it's warranted.  This thread is proving it's not a popular mindset, though...

We've had dozens of people on VGC playing and commenting on Metroid Dread in the last couple of weeks and none of them said anything about the graphics being disappointing. You are really the odd one out and you don't live by your own mantra of "play games, not systems." Otherwise you wouldn't keep going on about Metroid Dread needing better hardware to run on.

I don't know whether or not time gets reset after a death. But if it does get reset, then the displayed completion time excludes even more than the time spent on the map screen, meaning the game is even longer.

What I said is that no other Metroid-like game is receiving the AAA treatment. F.I.S.T. looks like a similar deal as Shin'en games where the graphics make a good impression on a technical level, but are rather sterile as far as the artstyle is concerned, plus the gameplay is standard fare. Nintendo should absolutely get credit for investing in a big variety of genres, including a 2D Metroid, when the AAA industry limits itself to so few types of games.

Do you honestly think people here are giving Metroid Dread a pass because it's made by Nintendo?

I'm really shocked to see you trying to somehow take the mantra of "play games, not systems" and permutate that into a review thread about Metroid Dread lol... I mean, I already explained it, but it's been pretty clear to most people: if a game is good, it's good; if it's bad, it's bad.  I don't care what system it's on or who made, I'm here for the games.  That DOESN'T read as "love games, not systems" which is how you're interpreting it.  Valid criticism is valid criticism (sure, people may not agree, but that doesn't change what it is), and I'll criticize any of the piles of plastic just as equally as any other because, again, "not systems".  I have no preferential treatment DESPITE the fact that I grew up on Nintendo and my top two franchises are Zelda and Metroid...

And do I think there is a general sentiment in gaming communities towards games BASED ON the platform?  Abso-fucking-lutely, it's the VERY thing I'm working AGAINST.  Hence, ironically, the "play games, not systems".  The Switch hardware being weak, NSO+ being over-priced, those critcisms of mine have no bearing on whether I WILL or WON'T play a game on the Switch... I almost can't believe I'm explaining this

And look, to everyone else, including mZuzek, I have no intention of making anyone agree with me, but I stand my ground.  We'll disagree or agree on things, we'll debate about it, and some dude will make personal attacks on me even though he/she was not attacked by me or my content in any way (lol on so many levels), but what in the hell would I be doing reviews for if I waver and change my opinion just because everyone else says different?  I'd have less respect for me, even, if under the pressure of disagreement, I change my mind.  *I* wouldn't even watch me if I was that type of person, and the reality is many of you shouldn't expect that from anyone, either.  Disagreement, debates, arguments, that's how the world moves forward.  But that move forward isn't because a bunch of people had their minds changed, it's because they had their perspectives challenged.  This is also why I fight myself so hard to remain neutral, so my perspective remains inclusive of *ahem* all the systems: it offers up a greater overall perspective of how gaming is moving forward (and how some... aren't).

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/

I am loving Dread. I've only ever played, beaten, and enjoyed Metroid Fusion prior to this. Hated Metroid 1, found Super Metroid off-putting, and couldn't stand how much stuff you had to figure out in Prime 1 (which means I never moved on to 2/3). Dread makes sense, is difficult but not impossible, and gives me about as much "scare" as I'd ever want out of a game.

I'm enjoying this thing where Nintendo releasing a more family friendly horror game around Halloween.
Luigi's Mansion 3 - 2019
Metroid Dread - 2021

I assume 2020 not having one was Covid delaying Dread. Curious what their 2022 one will be!

Very bad review!

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
d21lewis said:

Because sometimes you get Resident Evil 4.

Well, I did like RE4, as my first RE. But then I played RE1 - and did like it more. RE4 is the path that brought RE5 and 6. So yes, you can even in that example say changing the formula wasn't the best. Although in a sense, they did it again with 7 and 8, and that went better.

I think they are somewhat happy with a a game that probably changed third person shooters forever, and is still re-released on every single platform, even though 5 was average and 6 sucked. So changing the formula did work , even if it was for a game and half. 

I found it hard to have a strong opinion on Dread, one way or the other. By modern standards, its a good enough Metroidvania, but doesn't merit the 60 bucks price tag. If this is as far as Nintendo could push the genre , then I might be ok with there not being more 2D Metroid games, as other studios are doing more than enough to scratch that itch already without charging a premium for the privilege.

AllfatherStarr said:

I found it hard to have a strong opinion on Dread, one way or the other. By modern standards, its a good enough Metroidvania, but doesn't merit the 60 bucks price tag. If this is as far as Nintendo could push the genre , then I might be ok with there not being more 2D Metroid games, as other studios are doing more than enough to scratch that itch already without charging a premium for the privilege.

I like Metroidvanias and loved Dread, so I will keep buying 2D Metroids, but I'm surprised with the amount of love and overwhelmingly good reception Dread is getting, I wonder if people are playing modern Metroidvanias at all 

Damn, this review really reminds me why I un-subbed.

IcaroRibeiro said:
AllfatherStarr said:

I like Metroidvanias and loved Dread, so I will keep buying 2D Metroids, but I'm surprised with the amount of love and overwhelmingly good reception Dread is getting, I wonder if people are playing modern Metroidvanias at all 

Exactly, it's like rewarding Nintendo for not giving up on the genre, which is bizarre, because the genre itself is thriving more than ever before. As for the Metroid franchise, Prime is a much more novel concept, even now, as there really hasn't been an explosion of exploration based FPS. If I actually sit and think about it, Dread never makes my top 5 Metroidvanias, and maybe not even the top 10.