By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Metroid Dread review! - I wanted to like this game more...

Tagged games:

I wouldn't classify Dread, Fusion, Other M or Samus Returns as 100% Metroidvanias. They lack most of what an actual Metroidvania is about. To me they are more like action/adventure platformers. And at that they are excellent games.

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:

I wouldn't classify Dread, Fusion, Other M or Samus Returns as 100% Metroidvanias. They lack most of what an actual Metroidvania is about. To me they are more like action/adventure platformers. And at that they are excellent games.

Dread seems a lot like an action adventure for me indeed. When I was playing Super Metroid my strategy was to be slow and steady so I could overcome enemies, and of course backtracking was more necessary, I also usually get lost in the map

With Dread I was always running away and destroying everything in my face, it's very action packed and I never rally got lost. I many times TRIED to get lost, but it was impossible because the game has far too much roadblocks to send you exactly where it wants. You could easily streamline the massive map in a unique straight line 

psychicscubadiver said:

Damn, this review really reminds me why I un-subbed.

This might shock you, but this is very common (I've actually talked about this several times [not here, though, cuz it's a "gaming" forum]).  Every exclusive I review drops 4-7 subs on average, it's really only 3rd party games that gain any subs.  Fanboys need people to say what they want to hear, and lambast everyone who doesn't while pretending they're not said fanboys, and exclusives always generate the most controversy.  Note I did not mention a particular fanbase: if I review an exclusive glowingly, I lose opposing fanbase subs; if I review an exclusive lowly, I lose that platform fanbase subs.  Being platform agnostic as a singular person is the single biggest losing battle in gaming, and I've had dozens upon dozens of people (real life included) tell me I just need to focus on one platform.

But I'm a stubborn SOB, and I'd rather lose with dignity than win with pandering.

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
IcaroRibeiro said:
AllfatherStarr said:

I found it hard to have a strong opinion on Dread, one way or the other. By modern standards, its a good enough Metroidvania, but doesn't merit the 60 bucks price tag. If this is as far as Nintendo could push the genre , then I might be ok with there not being more 2D Metroid games, as other studios are doing more than enough to scratch that itch already without charging a premium for the privilege.

I like Metroidvanias and loved Dread, so I will keep buying 2D Metroids, but I'm surprised with the amount of love and overwhelmingly good reception Dread is getting, I wonder if people are playing modern Metroidvanias at all 

A lot of us that have played those other modern metroidvanias and still prefer dread. Ori was my goty last year and dread is my goty this year. 

Baddman said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

I like Metroidvanias and loved Dread, so I will keep buying 2D Metroids, but I'm surprised with the amount of love and overwhelmingly good reception Dread is getting, I wonder if people are playing modern Metroidvanias at all 

A lot of us that have played those other modern metroidvanias and still prefer dread. Ori was my goty last year and dread is my goty this year. 

Don't get me wrong, for me Dead is just as good as Ori and both are easily among my GOTY list for each year. What is surprising for me is to see so many people are praising Dread so much, because looks like Dread is the first experience of many with the genre at least when it comes to modern gaming. I wasn't expecting so much love for Metroid 

Last edited by IcaroRibeiro - on 05 November 2021

Around the Network
ZyroXZ2 said:
psychicscubadiver said:

Damn, this review really reminds me why I un-subbed.

This might shock you, but this is very common (I've actually talked about this several times [not here, though, cuz it's a "gaming" forum]).  Every exclusive I review drops 4-7 subs on average, it's really only 3rd party games that gain any subs.  Fanboys need people to say what they want to hear, and lambast everyone who doesn't while pretending they're not said fanboys, and exclusives always generate the most controversy.  Note I did not mention a particular fanbase: if I review an exclusive glowingly, I lose opposing fanbase subs; if I review an exclusive lowly, I lose that platform fanbase subs.  Being platform agnostic as a singular person is the single biggest losing battle in gaming, and I've had dozens upon dozens of people (real life included) tell me I just need to focus on one platform.

But I'm a stubborn SOB, and I'd rather lose with dignity than win with pandering.

Lol, get off your high horse.
I meant how often you have bad takes and that's happened on both exclusives and 3rd party games.

psychicscubadiver said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

Lol, get off your high horse.
I meant how often you have bad takes and that's happened on both exclusives and 3rd party games.

Projecting a little, there?  You're on the high horse, the tl;dr version of my reply if I was on a high horse is, "You and the other 100s of people who say that".

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/